IGNORED

Skull Island - Wood Case!

yuppicide

Maybe make the wood cart label look like:

A - a brass plaque with screws in the corner or....

B - carved wood - which would prolly look more piratey, but harder to pull off

Morgan

I like the carved idea.

How much is the expected cost for the CE wood and for the plastic?

The following people do not need to request a regular cart, one will be made for them if they want, free, as a thanks for your help:

SeaGt, bAtari, RevEng, Random Terrain, Jwierer, and Albert.

I'd love a cart, but plastic is fine. Obviously, the wood cart would be much cooler to own, but I don't think you should be giving away free wood carts if they'll cost a lot more to produce, and are going to be produced in a limited number of copies.

Michael

Obviously I don't have a final price yet, was only quoted a price so far.

Let's just say that the original wood carver was quoting me $60 a piece! He wanted like $150 deposit to start work. Then, he said the first unit would cost more to make because as he goes along he'll get faster at making them. In the end about $60 a piece.

The new guy gave me a much better quote, only $100 deposit to buy materials, although we'll see final price in the end. He took exact measurements of a cartridge, put the circuit board and ROM on a jig. So, right now it's set up for that exact measurement, and he can fairly quickly produce all of the carts we need.

Plastic will be much cheaper. Originally I thought just carts and manual. If people want boxes, I'll be glad to get some done with Marc.

Edited by yuppicide

Alright I spoke to the wood carver today.

He was in the middle of finishing up the little tabs in the cartridge.. his father took a nasty fall at the beginning of the week and was hospitalized. Hopefully he'll be released.

I told him my first concern (and I'm sure just about everyone's) is that his Father okay and to keep me posted.

He's hoping maybe he can ship me the cart Saturday. Even if he sends me just pics for now would be spectacular.

Now we're looking at possibly in the next few days to send out the prototype cartridge to me. He just needs to finish up the two tabs inside and he's good to go.

I guess I shouldn't post the whole story here, since you know it's personal, but his father is still in the hospital. :( He's got family flying in from Florida to help out, so he'll be in the shop all day tomorrow playing catch up and this is at the top of his list to get sent out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I HAVE A TRACKING NUMBER!!!!!

I should have the prototype tomorrow to test out and photograph!!!

(insert Justin Timberlake "I'm Bringin Sexy Back")

We decided to do a Dark Mahogany Stain in high gloss. I would like to do a resin high gloss on the cartiridge for the one in the future and embed you artwork into the coating. I think it would look a lot richer.

Edited by yuppicide

This could be the solution for the high cost of molds for plastic cartridge shells if it can be done cheaply enough. If buying common carts on the open market and stripping them to the bare plastic is still cheaper they may not catch on unless someone wants to make their carts stand out from the rest by offering the wood as a sort of premium packaging to people willing to pay a bit more for it, like have a standard edition of a game in plastic and a premium edition in wood.

Edited by OldAtarian