IGNORED

Donkey Kong 3?

atari2600land

Since the Atari 2600 had Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr., I was just wondering if Donkey Kong 3 is possible? I made a mock up of a screen in bB since I was bored. I am going to see if I can find the NES version tomorrow, play it and see if I can expand on this idea. Please note that I stink when it comes to designing 2600 sprites, so if I go further on this, I'll probably need some help. Anyway, since the screen is symmetrical, I used the multisprite kernel.

post-9475-128299029495_thumb.png

dk3.bin

Donkey Kong could be just part of the playfield. You'd store separate playfields for every DK movement up toward the bee hive.

The score could be made into 6 flower sprites. You could even (I guess?) use SeaGtGruffs gosub + inline assembly technique to switch between score kernels to go from flowers to score numbers. Or, you could use the examples where you extend the score kernel to include more characters so you could retain the numbers AND have the flower sprites. Yet another idea is to use the score bars as flowers but that would look less authentic.

The score bars could be used to represent to time left. Whatever the bullet and R= are on the top left could be represented by the other score bar.

Mario could be the player0 sprite and the bees player1 through 5. When the hives drop just make the bees disappear and use their objects as the beehives. Change the playfield to Donkey Kong all the way up with the middle bee hive on his head.

Believe it or not, I didn't have DK3 on any system. So after buying it and doing a little research, I think i have come up with the way you play the game. Right now, there's two bees to shoot as well as DK himself. After shooting the bees, they regenerate at the top of the screen. If you shoot DK, he moves up a little. Since the way it was set up before, the beehives caused the missile to have a wide copy as well (even though the missile was missile1 and the player was player3 ?), so moving the beehives to the playfield solved that problem.

NOTE: By the way, if you want to download the bas file and already have one called default.bas, name it something different so it doesn't replace it.

dk3_v2.bin

default.bas

If you're trying to figure out the gameplay of DK3, think "Galaxian" or "Galaga" because that's what it is.

Donkey Kong himself is the distraction nuisance and you can't even shoot him off the screen when you get further in the game. The whole gameplay is shooting the bugs while avoiding their shots by moving left & right or jumping onto platforms. Then when you shoot them all (NOT Donkey Kong), the level ends. And yes you also have to defend the flowerpots. So it's a mix of elements, but it's core is Galaxian.

I like what I'm seeing so far by the way :)

Edited by NE146

The main problem I see that will happen is too many sprites. You have the gorilla, the worms, the bees, the super bee, and the flowers when they are being lifted up. I would probably limit the game to either only 1 worm coming down or no worms at all coming down. If you have to give up sprites, the worms should be the first thing on the chopping block. At least for the blue/black screen. The orange screen you could have the worm only because there is only one bug coming down at one time.

By the way I think it is really cool that you are doing this for the Atari 2600(of course this is my extremely biased opinion :D .) And if I have any money to spend I will definitely be thinking about buying this when it comes out.

As for a title, how bout Galaxy Kong? :D

Yes, there will be no worms. In this latest version, the bees can pick up a flower and begin to carry it off. I haven't done any logic beyond carrying one flower off, so that will be next to do. Although right now, once the bees get to the bottom half of the screen, the flickering is kinda bad...

dk3_v3.bas

dk3_v3.bin

Non Trademark infringing titles could be:

Monkey Bee Monkey Do!

Hives 5

Honey Monkey

Garden Gorilla

Arboretum Ape

Why not just call it Donkey Kong 3?

Donkey Kong is a registered trademark of Nintendo. Even games sounding like a cash cow get cease & desist threats. Take Freecraft as an example. No one has money to fight a lawsuit.

Plus, a different name - even if a parody - makes it more your creation. Check out Beef Drop at the AtariStore for an example.

Edited by theloon
  • Like 1

Non Trademark infringing titles could be:

Monkey Bee Monkey Do!

Hives 5

Honey Monkey

Garden Gorilla

Arboretum Ape

Why not just call it Donkey Kong 3?

Donkey Kong is a registered trademark of Nintendo. Even games sounding like a cash cow get cease & desist threats. Take Freecraft as an example. No one has money to fight a lawsuit.

Plus, a different name - even if a parody - makes it more your creation. Check out Beef Drop at the AtariStore for an example.

I see, I didn't think it was that big of a deal

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/164840-donkey-kong-escapes-2600-re-release/page__p__2035777__hl__Donkey%20Kong__fromsearch__1#entry2035777

and

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/81537-2600-super-mario-pre-order-discount-now-over/page__p__994367__hl__Super%20mario%202600__fromsearch__1#entry994367

and

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/146281-donkey-kong-arcade-colecovision/page__p__1780250__hl__donkey%20kong%20arcade__fromsearch__1#entry1780250

Those are the only ones that come to mind for Nintendo

Not to mention the dozens of Pac man and space invaders games made for Coleco and atari 2600/7800 but I guess all those guys had to go to court? I just don't think it's as big of a deal as people make it out to be.

I just don't think it's as big of a deal as people make it out to be.

Nah, it's not a big deal. Not until a big company pays attention that is. I was more suggesting names as a fun thing. A little personalization. Plus, never hurts to be careful.

Do not care about a name.First you should continue your great work.And when it is finished,you can think about a name...........

Certainly! Please continue! I was thinking about the flickering when the bees grab the flower. Could you switch the flower to player0 so the bee + flower combination doesn't cause flickering?

Looks awesome so far atari2600land, keep up the great work! I love almost all the demos and games you've go in WIP so far, some really great, promising stuff. :)

Anyway, to help you on the sprite end, I'm pretty bored at the moment so here's a re-working of your main sprites, courtesy of what I could throw together in MSPaint and guesstimating what rez they would look like on an actual Atari 2600. I gave you two different ones of the player sprite because I didn't know if you could throw two different colors for the character or not. Hope this helps man! :cool::thumbsup:

DK3_DonkeyKong_sprite.bmp

DK3_bug_sprite.bmp

DK3_Greenhousekeeper_sprite.bmp

DK3_Greenhousekeeper_2color_sprite.bmp

Changed the sprite of Stanley. Hopefully he doesn't look like a piece of poop. The reason he did is because I suck at drawing Atari 2600 pixels. It was just a temporary design anyway. He wouldn't have looked like that in the final version.

dk3_v5.bas.bin

dk3_v5.bas

• Like 1