IGNORED

Donkey Kong 3?

atari2600land

That's it? Just three? Well, I've added the third level. The bugs about dying or moving to the next level seemed to have stopped. The game is now at 8k. What should I do next? I'd like to do a high score saving feature, but I don't know how to shorten it because the first two digits of the score are not part of the score.

dk3_v8.bas.bin

dk3_v8.bas

I think this is looking very nice.. seriously. But I have a question. How many bugs do you have to kill to clear a level? The only way I was able to clear it was by shooting Donkey Kong all the way up. But as for the bugs, I think I shot around 60+ of them and the level never finished. Just curious..

Wow How did I miss this thread (Too busy moving I guess)

Years ago (around 2002-2003) I used to post threads with titles like "What might have been" and would include a mocked up screen shot of a game never released on the Atari 2600. Most of these were lost over time but I still have one or two on my HD.

:D

This is like a dream come true!

post-544-128466732239_thumb.gif

I thought that was the way to clear the level: Shoot Donkey Kong all the way up. That's how it is in the NES version. Is it different in the arcade version?

That is one way to clear the level. You can also clear it by shooting all the bugs.

It's really important to note that as you get further in the game it becomes almost impossible to shoot Donkey Kong all the way up so the only way to clear it is to kill the bugs (all the while juggling shooting DK in the butt so he doesn't come all the way down, and protecting your flowers). It gets hectic.

Again, you HAVE to realize that Donkey Kong 3 is much more like Galaxian & Galaga than anything else. Think THIS: :P

s_Galaxian_1.png

Made a lot of changes in this version after playing DK3 on the NES for awhile. DK now moves down and if he moves down far enough, you lose a life. Also, there is another way to clear the level: shoot 30 bees. Once you get to level 4, one of the bees comes after you. I wanted to have the score color be 14, but I guess that isn't possible for some reason even though I typed "scorecolor=14" in the game loop...

dk3_v10.bas

dk3_v10.bas.bin

I thought that was the way to clear the level: Shoot Donkey Kong all the way up. That's how it is in the NES version. Is it different in the arcade version?

That is one way to clear the level. You can also clear it by shooting all the bugs.

It's really important to note that as you get further in the game it becomes almost impossible to shoot Donkey Kong all the way up so the only way to clear it is to kill the bugs (all the while juggling shooting DK in the butt so he doesn't come all the way down, and protecting your flowers). It gets hectic.

Again, you HAVE to realize that Donkey Kong 3 is much more like Galaxian & Galaga than anything else. Think THIS: :P

s_Galaxian_1.png

To be honest, the main thing Donkey Kong 3 has in common with these games are that they are shooter games. In reality there is truly nothing like Donkey Kong 3. The ape on a rope, the sideways moving bees, the creeping worms, and the barrels being chucked at you are not found really in any other shooter game.

Now having said all that I really do hurt my case more than help it by having the world records in both Galaxian, and Donkey Kong 3. ;)

To be honest, the main thing Donkey Kong 3 has in common with these games are that they are shooter games. In reality there is truly nothing like Donkey Kong 3. The ape on a rope, the sideways moving bees, the creeping worms, and the barrels being chucked at you are not found really in any other shooter game.

I think it's all perspective. Really all those elements make it a "Nintendo" shooter more than anything. i.e The barrels being thrown (bombs), the movement of the bugs, and the blocking worms etc. are all Nintendo variants on the shmup genre in the cartoony Nintendo world. It is really a unique Nintendo brand shoot-em-up. I used to hate it back in the day, but when I figured out what it REALLY was, I now think it's awesome. :P

So Homer...IS there a way to clear the levels without pushing DK all the way to the top? There seems to be some confusion on that, and you'd surely know the answer.

There is no confusion. :D Homer will verify that of course you can clear the stages by shooting all the bugs. And as the game gets difficult, that almost becomes the primary way of clearing stages. Man, have you guys ever played the game? :P

Well in the arcade game it depends. You can pass a level by shooting all the bugs in the black board stage, and the blue board stage, but with the orange board, you HAVE to shoot Donkey Kong all the way up. It is impossible on the orange board to shoot all the insects, but with the other boards you can do it. Hope that clears things up. :)

Two suggestions:

- Limit the shot as in the arcade and NES versions. Provides more challenge, incentive to go on the top level.

- Have the player start at the bottom as in the arcade and NES versions.

Now included. I also added a little thing at the beginning before the title screen that I hope you like.

dk3_v11.bas.bin

dk3_v11.bas

This is already better than the first Donkey Kong for the 2600.

Some issues:

- Is there supposed to be a "platform" below "ground level?"

- Game has randomly reset on latest version once

- Sometimes no win sound effect

- Sometimes "strange" win sound effect

- Questionable collision detection when coming at bugs from left

- Score display still kinda glitchy

I say, call the game "Arboretum Ape" or "Monkey Business." Call your character "Kenny the Caretaker," who uses a squirt gun. Call the bugs "fireflies."