IGNORED

Wizardry on Apple II

stalepie

I suppose it depends on how you define it..

You were supposed to copy the character disk. And some games even suggested you backup and save often..

But I'm not sure they meant save before every fight... ;-)

However, we (some of us) saved a LOT.. ;-)

Personally, I consider that part of the game. At least I would save pretty frequently in most of those games.. At least when I remembered.. But I can almost guarantee that my best playing sessions would end with some stupid thing I did and those were the times I HADN'T saved!!! :-( :-(

desiv

Edited by desiv

To be honest I have no idea aside from getting that vintage feel that anyone would play a lot of the old games without savestates or backing up their characters. Lets just face the facts that as much as we loved the games, they were simply made in an earlier time when things were still getting figured out and thus just aren't as user friendly as they could've been. And I mean in a way that makes the game more fun rather than tedious.

I guess if really wanted to wait literally MINUTES every time you're caught in Castle Wolfenstein (i.e when you happen to be spawn right next to a nazi in the very beginning) and watch the stupid text all over again just because that's the way it was, then have fun. But personally I want to play the game and save that area and jump right back in seconds after being caught. :P

Edited by NE146

To be honest I have no idea aside from getting that vintage feel that anyone would play a lot of the old games without savestates or backing up their characters.

I have no idea why you'd play any game if you're just going to cheat. Since Wizardry included a disc backup util, that's not really cheating. But save states are.

Yes, there's some tedium involved with playing the real thing on real hardware. It doesn't bother me that much, when it does I'll play a PS2 game or whatever.

Edited by Hatta

I have no idea why you'd play any game if you're just going to cheat. Since Wizardry included a disc backup util, that's not really cheating. But save states are.

I dunno. I think Savestates are more a convenience than a cheat.. save an action game and go to the crapper or resume it a week later. And yes, they do allow you to start again quickly in "Aztec" after dying. So what? :D

I mean you could play "Deal or no Deal" on the DS legitimately all you want. And if you happen to activate a cheat device to see what happens when you get the $1,000,000 suitcase, heck that's fun too.

It really isn't all that serious. :P

I am playing version 2.1 of 22-Jan-82. Does anyone know if an earlier version didn't have the character backup option?

Good luck finding an older version - according to Wikipedia, Wizardry was released December 31, 1981. And back then it was pretty common for the first released version of something to have a version number higher than 1.0.

Edited by Streck