IGNORED

Smurf for Atari Intellivision?

edintv

There´s a seller on Brazil (Ebay equivalent) that´s claiming to have a smurf cart for 2600 branded Intellivision, the picture is bad but you can recognize something looking as intellivision on it. This is real or a Scam?

There's the link:

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-153749961-raro-smurf-marca-intellivision-para-atari-2600-jogo-_JM

post-26431-128322450945_thumb.jpg

What is the mystery? If somebody is producing pirate software, it stands to reason that it might sell a little better if the product has a bit of name-recognition behind it. Nevermind that it wasn't used "officially" in that manner.

Aren't there like a billion modern pirate consoles that are either spelled like or sound like "Nintendo"?

What is the mystery? If somebody is producing pirate software, it stands to reason that it might sell a little better if the product has a bit of name-recognition behind it. Nevermind that it wasn't used "officially" in that manner.

Aren't there like a billion modern pirate consoles that are either spelled like or sound like "Nintendo"?

I just think that is very unusual, Intellivision was branded "Digiplay" in Brazil, so Intellivision was not a very well known name at the time. extrange..

In Venezuela, the official distributor of Nintendo (even was called Nintendo C. A.) was also assembling pirated games and importing all sort of imitation accesories (and a pirated Famicom) they get sued by Nintendo and lost, that was the end of that company.. You don´t see almost any Nintendo or Sega sealed items from Venezuela because their untrusty origins...

it's real...I saw a lot of those game before on ebay....always wanted one just because it's was cool to see an atari game made by intellivision.

is it intellivision that made that game? I'm not sure about that but my guess is no LOL

Max,

The Mattel line for Atari is called M Network. I have tried several games (Baseball, Astrosmash, Frog Bog) and didn´t like any of them (the original are far better). I have to try the rest, apparently Tron deadly disc is good. I have several of those games sealed, but i´m trying to find them opened. there's also armor battle, Adventures of tron (I think is a very changed version of tron maze-a-tron) He-man, Bump n´Jump, Lock n´Chase and so. Also they released and Especiol edition Tron Joystick that is very cool.

It seems The smurf is a pirated version, intellivision is a brand they choose to release the game.

But if you want to buy it, i can help you the US$ and Reais conversion is 1 to 2, so will cost 14,5 (30 R) plus ship, only i had to talk to the seller if he´s willing to do business internationally.

-Ed

Edited by edintv

I just think that is very unusual, Intellivision was branded "Digiplay" in Brazil
All the more likely that some pirate is going to latch onto the Intellivision name which wasn't being used in the region, then ;) Maybe odd that Mattel chose not to use the brand name themselves in the region, but there might have been a reason behind that.

so Intellivision was not a very well known name at the time.

I find that difficult to believe. Mattel advertising was as prevailant as Atari back in the 80's - they were the two top dogs in the market. Video games were *the* hot commodity for startups. So I'd imagine that the biggest players were known worldwide regardless of how they branded their products in differing regions.

Or, it could have been something simple...like a pirate trying to pass off a cartridge as being "official" but not having much insight or familarity themselves into who releases what.

I just think that is very unusual, Intellivision was branded "Digiplay" in Brazil
All the more likely that some pirate is going to latch onto the Intellivision name which wasn't being used in the region, then ;) Maybe odd that Mattel chose not to use the brand name themselves in the region, but there might have been a reason behind that.

so Intellivision was not a very well known name at the time.

I find that difficult to believe. Mattel advertising was as prevailant as Atari back in the 80's - they were the two top dogs in the market. Video games were *the* hot commodity for startups. So I'd imagine that the biggest players were known worldwide regardless of how they branded their products in differing regions.

Or, it could have been something simple...like a pirate trying to pass off a cartridge as being "official" but not having much insight or familarity themselves into who releases what.

Brazil is a big country with a lot of population, so Mattel licensed (and also activision) their products to be released (and I think manufactured) in Brazil, of course with portuguese manuals and names. and back then the world was not globalized as now days, it was very hard to know what happens in other countries (of course only important news). but i guess the brand was known enough in Brazil for this..

About the publicity, In my country you didn´t see any publicity on tv for any video game console (or even magazines, I've searching for ads) the stores was the only way to know the product and hear to mouth. what happen in the US is not an example for others, specially 3rd world countries..

it's real...I saw a lot of those game before on ebay....always wanted one just because it's was cool to see an atari game made by intellivision.

is it intellivision that made that game? I'm not sure about that but my guess is no LOL

Max,

The Mattel line for Atari is called M Network. I have tried several games (Baseball, Astrosmash, Frog Bog) and didn´t like any of them (the original are far better). I have to try the rest, apparently Tron deadly disc is good. I have several of those games sealed, but i´m trying to find them opened. there's also armor battle, Adventures of tron (I think is a very changed version of tron maze-a-tron) He-man, Bump n´Jump, Lock n´Chase and so. Also they released and Especiol edition Tron Joystick that is very cool.

It seems The smurf is a pirated version, intellivision is a brand they choose to release the game.

But if you want to buy it, i can help you the US$ and Reais conversion is 1 to 2, so will cost 14,5 (30 R) plus ship, only i had to talk to the seller if he´s willing to do business internationally.

-Ed

M Network Lock-N-Chase for VCS is an excellent game. Astrosmash and Dark Cavern are nice Intellivision translations as well.