IGNORED

Nintendo DSi XL versus Apple Ipod iTouch?

calfranklin

I'm trying to decide if I should buy the Nintendo DSi XL or the Apple iPod iTouch. Is there any pros or cons you could share with me to help me make a final decision?

Apples and Oranges, IMO. Are the apps for the Touch compelling to you? Do you plan to watch movies and listen to music? If so, lean toward the Touch. Will this be primarily a game machine, at which you will play for hours? If so, the DSi.

• Like 1

Gaming on the iPhone/iPod Touch is, well.. Let's just say there's nothing like having a firm control pad in your hands, something you don't really have with the Touch. If the primary factor is gaming, I would recommend the DS. If it's MP3 and video capabilities you are looking for (with some gaming on the side), then maybe the touch will be good for you.

Edited by Austin

I appreciate the input from everyone concerning these two devices. Has anyone heard whether or not the new iTouch (4th Gen) will have the camera feature? Also, are there any home business features like Word, Excel on the DSi XL?

I'm trying to decide if I should buy the Nintendo DSi XL or the Apple iPod iTouch. Is there any pros or cons you could share with me to help me make a final decision?

I appreciate the input from everyone concerning these two devices. Has anyone heard whether or not the new iTouch (4th Gen) will have the camera feature? Also, are there any home business features like Word, Excel on the DSi XL?

I've read that the new iPod Touch is supposed to have dual cameras in order to support the new Facetime program. I'm not sure about MS-compatibile apps on the DS though.

It also looks like the new iPod Touches are going to have 3G capabilities in case you want a data plan but don't want an iPhone.

I've had Gameboys for almost 20 years (bouts of Tetris addiction every few years) and I didn't think I would game too much on the iPod touch when I got one this year but it surprised me with some good casual games. It is an apples and oranges comparison in that I find the best games on the Touch are more casual then on the DS. Angry Birds, SkeeBall, and Plant Vs. Zombies are on my Touch rotation right now and I like games where you can move and control things with finger flicks, just different enough from using a stylus to be interesting.

The new iPods look cool, faster processors, better screens, and cameras. I might wait a generation so they can iron some things out, $300+ early adopter fees are not always fun.

They cost similarly. Like others said, it's really a case of what are you going to do with it. Ipod is better for a music player. And I don't think any of the DS carts that play mo9vies even work on the DSiXL (at least most of mine are slot 2 devices)

But if your going to play games for any length of time, the DS is where it's at. Ipod can't compete with that, while it has some cool games, the DS games are just more playable over all.

If this is true it should help you decide!

http://www.coated.com/nintendo-dsi-price-drop-on-september-12th-0830201006/

so wait till sept 12th to save 2o bucks.

-rick

They cost similarly. Like others said, it's really a case of what are you going to do with it. Ipod is better for a music player. And I don't think any of the DS carts that play mo9vies even work on the DSiXL (at least most of mine are slot 2 devices)

But if your going to play games for any length of time, the DS is where it's at. Ipod can't compete with that, while it has some cool games, the DS games are just more playable over all.

Actually, I use an Acekard 2i on my XL, and that works fine so long as you get the firmware update needed. I use Moonshell 2.10 to watch TV shows, listen to my music, and type up text documents. The only downside is that you'd have to convert any movies you want to watch.

Well, the touch has better graphics and cheaper games. But then you will miss out on certain Nintendo marquee titles if you go with a touch.

The D-pad is great for games that are most similar to what you played 10 or 15 years ago. I almost never play my DS. I don't really like the controls or the touch screen. I don't think much of the graphics, and the XL accentuates how middling the DS' graphics have become. But then I don't like the touch (my iPhone really) for arcade games to much. I mostly play strategy and other games designed for the thing.

There are great games for both, but they will always be cheaper on the iPod touch. Plus you get mail, web, and other things. When you go a on a trip, as long as you don't do serious work, you can use an iPod touch as a computer instead of a laptop. Atari Age looks and works great on an iPod touch.

My opinion is to get an iPod touch. If you're asking, you should get that. Because if you're not dead set on a DS already, definitely get an iPod touch.

Edited by ianoid

Actually, I use an Acekard 2i on my XL, and that works fine so long as you get the firmware update needed. I use Moonshell 2.10 to watch TV shows, listen to my music, and type up text documents. The only downside is that you'd have to convert any movies you want to watch.

Cool, I"ll have to see about getting one of those then, especially when I finely get rid of my dying DSLight

It really depends what you want. I'm not a big handheld gamer. The DS was the first handheld I've ever been able to really get into (and I've bought a bunch starting with the original GB), and I really enjoyed a lot of DS games. That said, I sold it when I got my iTouch. I have a TON of games, and I probably spent less than one or two full-priced DS titles. True, the touch-only interface doesn't work for some genres, but there's just so much available and it's so cheap to try things out. I've most enjoyed the tons of classic games being ported to the iTouch - stuff like the Apple ][ adventure Transylvania. It's a great port the plays perfectly on the touch screen. Dragon's Lair on the iTouch ($1) is a fantastic port, and worked really well. I finally beat a version of Dragon's Lair after 25 years and that's just cool. Games that try to use the "virtual Dpad" are hit and miss. Some like "The Simpson's Arcade Game" control fine, others like "Dig Dug" are terrible. It depends a lot on the developer.

The biggest drawback to the iTouch in my opinion isn't the touch screen, it's the battery life. Bigger games can drain your batteries quick. That said, I have no regrets selling the DS.