IGNORED

One-on-One & Karateka

ydcl

Hi all,

I just bought an Atari 7800, and along with the 67 games it came with Karateka and One-on-One.

I can't shoot the ball on One-on-One. I can move the players around but they don't shoot the ball.

With Karateka, I can make my fighter walk forward but he never kicks or punches.

I can't play both these games! I played a bunch of other games on my 7800 but those 2 are my only true 7800 games, and I can't play them. :sad:

Does anybody know what's wrong?

Cheers,

Yan

Hi all,

I just bought an Atari 7800, and along with the 67 games it came with Karateka and One-on-One.

I can't shoot the ball on One-on-One. I can move the players around but they don't shoot the ball.

With Karateka, I can make my fighter walk forward but he never kicks or punches.

I can't play both these games! I played a bunch of other games on my 7800 but those 2 are my only true 7800 games, and I can't play them. :sad:

Does anybody know what's wrong?

Cheers,

Yan

That is completely normal with Karateka- the controls are terrible. The 7800 port is one of the worst games ever made in my opinion ;)

Edited by CongoZombie

So does Karateka, which also is a gigantic piece of shit on the 7800...

I remember when I first played it thinking that it would be quite good. I walked towards the enemy while getting ready to kick him, only to get booted in the face and sent immediately to the Game Over screen. The mind boggles at how the programmer saw fit to release it in that state.

Edited by CongoZombie

One on One has to be played with a 2 button joystick.

I just looked at my controllers and both of them have 2 buttons. One has one button on top and one on the side. Is there another type of controller for the 7800?

post-27292-128385230921_thumb.jpg

Edited by ydcl

I just looked at my controllers and both of them have 2 buttons. On has one button on top and one on the side. Is there another type of controller for the 7800?

Those aren't 7800 controllers. They look like 3rd party 2600 controllers.

I just looked at my controllers and both of them have 2 buttons. On has one button on top and one on the side. Is there another type of controller for the 7800?

Thank you! I did not know, I got the system that way. I paid a co-worker $60 dollars for the 7800 along with 67 games. Most were 2600 games. I will have to buy a couple of 7800 controllers soon.

Thank you! I did not know, I got the system that way. I paid a co-worker $60 dollars for the 7800 along with 67 games. Most were 2600 games. I will have to buy a couple of 7800 controllers soon.

Yea do yourself a favor and order the CX78 joypad from Best Electronics and stay far away from the prolines.

Yea do yourself a favor and order the CX78 joypad from Best Electronics and stay far away from the prolines.

Unless you're planning on playing Karateka, in which case the Prolines are absolutely necessary.

The 7800 joypads are worse than the Prolines, in my opinion. The Prolines might be cramping due to their size/design, but at least they are responsive when they are in good shape. The problem with the 7800 joypads is that, unlike every other console joypad ever made, the silicone buttons inside it are too tall/far away from the board contacts for comfortable play, which causes a huge delay in timing and a need for much more pressure on the d-pad and buttons. Combine this with the near inablility of doing diagonal directions with them (because of the insensitivity), it's like trying to play with a joypad made out of a dead fish.

Has anyone managed to kill the bird in the 7800 version? I never could.

Tempest

I could never kill that bird, it's just impossible. I shocked to find out that in the Commodore 64 version can kill the bird. If somebody wants to do a better version of Karateka, better controls and the ability to kill the bird are must haves.

Tempest

I could never kill that bird, it's just impossible. I shocked to find out that in the Commodore 64 version can kill the bird. If somebody wants to do a better version of Karateka, better controls and the ability to kill the bird are must haves.

I'm curious if it's just really hard to time it in the 7800 version or if it's actually a bug. I'm starting to think it's a bug. Someone might have to disassemble it to see for sure though.

Tempest

Tempest

I'm curious if it's just really hard to time it in the 7800 version or if it's actually a bug. I'm starting to think it's a bug. Someone might have to disassemble it to see for sure though.

Tempest

I don't think it's a bug. I think it's an intentional omission. There's nothing in the 7800 Karateka manual about being able to kill the bird, and so far as we know, no one ever has.