IGNORED

New Hardware Store

matthew180

Similar to the F18A project I just posted about, I also set up a store where I plan to make available new hardware that I make, or that other people have made and want to sell, like Jon Guidry's Cart 64K Board and Retrocloud's PITFALL! With Jon's blessing I went ahead and had another batch of 100 Cart 64K Boards made, and Retroclouds has his PITFALL! game available as well. Please check it out and help us continue to be able to make new hardware and software.

The main site is Code|Hack|Create - just click the Store link in the top menu. I hope everyone finds this useful.

Matthew

This is great man! I have several copies of Honeycomb Rapture and Lemonade Stand on diskette with nice labels I was hoping to sell online. You interested in including them in your store?

Also-- is there any kind of break if one purchases cart boards in bulk? Say 20 or 30? Just curious if you have a policy on that. :) Store looks great man. Very slick and I enjoyed reading about Steve Irwin as well. :)

Edited by Opry99er

This is great man! I have several copies of Honeycomb Rapture and Lemonade Stand on diskette with nice labels I was hoping to sell online. You interested in including them in your store?

Absolutely! Send me an email or P.M. and we'll get it set up.

Also-- is there any kind of break if one purchases cart boards in bulk? Say 20 or 30? Just curious if you have a policy on that. :) Store looks great man. Very slick and I enjoyed reading about Steve Irwin as well. :)

Yeah, the price break is at 100 boards. ;-) Honestly though, if anyone needs them in bulk then you would want to look at having them manufactured directly. The board house will only do 100 boards minimum, plus the time an effort to do everything (get the EPROMs, Cart Shells, EPROM programmer, labels, etc.) The very low volume hobby stuff like this means things will be a little more expensive than, say, something produced in the thousands.

I am well aware that everyone is familiar with the actual cost of the 64K boards since Jon offered them at cost (and for that everyone should be extremely grateful, I know I am!) However, Jon also put up a *lot* of his own money that he did not recover, plus a huge investment in time and effort. I hope people realize this. Personally I don't have extra cash right now, so I have to make back my investment so I can keep doing this (remember, Jon had to stop because it took a toll on his personal life.) I want this new hardware to always be available when people need it, and not having to scramble when someone decides to "make a run of boards", or when the creator of a product just *happens* to post one on ebay.

One of the first things people wanting to get into the TI ask is "Can I make my own cartridges? What does it cost? Where can I get them?"

Also, there is a lot of talk about cool hardware ideas and such, but people like Tursi who write emulators are reluctant to add support for phantom hardware, since it does not exist in the real world and people might start making software that only runs under emulation. Tursi has always been very firm on this stance, and although I don't totally agree all the time, I understand his argument. So, making real hardware, and making it available for everyone, means we might just get enough of it out there so people writing software can take advantage of the new stuff. Plus it's fun. :-)

Oops, I didn't mean to rant so much, sorry.

Matthew

Great. =) Just wanted to see what was up. In any case, I am stoked that you have this new store online. I believe it will be successful. If you'd like, I can post a link to it at the semi-drama-free Yahoo list. =) I know Marc and John have some new stuff in the works... The SIDBlaster99 card for Marc and the 4 button controllers for John.

By the way, if you're interested to see/hear what a TI-99/4a sounds like running one of Marc's chips, check out the following link. =) Pretty badass.

Or watch below if your browser allows it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN90b4VtGig

I'd love to see this card available for sale as soon as it's produced in more than a prototype board.

***Anyway, thanks again Matthew. Your efforts are most appreciated

The seem to be in the same situation as we are with cartridge shells though, recycling old carts.

I'm pretty sure I've read about new cartridge housing/shells for both Atari 2600/7800 and even ColecoVision. All made in funky colors and transparent. Here's one link (see bottom):

http://www.pixelspast.com/homebrew

Personally I wish we had something like this for the TI-99/4A:

http://www.atarimax.com/colecosd/documentation

:)

Just so no one freaks out (I'm doing enough of that for everyone), the shopping cart site I'm using did an upgrade last night... without telling anyone... Now my store does not work with FireFox and prevented the whole web site from loading. Go figure that would happen 6 hours after I announce. So the store is down right the moment, and I'm hoping they get it sorted out *really* soon. Sorry. If they don't get things fixed in the next 12 hours I'm going to switch to another cart (pain in the ass though...)

Trev2005: I did get your order before the fiasco. :-)

Matthew

By the way, the store is back online (for the last day or so). Seems a corrupt javascript file was cached by a CDN (content delivery network) and the only way to fix the problem was to wait for the caches to clear. Sorry for any inconvenience to anyone. Now, get on over there and pick up a 64K Board and make kick-ass 99/4A game! :-)

CodeHackCreate Store

Matthew