IGNORED

Apple Snaffle (WIP)

GroovyBee

Oh, so Apfel Snaffle is sort of like a cross of Boulder-Dash and Dig Dug?

What's the challenge? Is it to solve the puzzle of grabbing all the apples without getting stuck?

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

Oh, so Apfel Snaffle is sort of like a cross of Boulder-Dash and Dig Dug?

Yep! Its a dig the earth and collect things kinda game.

What's the challenge? Is it to solve the puzzle of grabbing all the apples without getting stuck?

The 7800 version (on which this level is based) has enemies that appear in later levels. Although, those same enemies wouldn't translate very well to the Inty version without making too many compromises. So... I'll probably take the game in a different direction on the Inty to take advantage of its strengths. The first few levels will start out as puzzle solving and then more "things" will be thrown into the mix. However, I'm not sure what those "things" are at the moment.

• Like 1

post-24767-0-47883500-1396128695_thumb.png

I felt like doing a mock-up of this game. I used ICVGM to draw the tiles using the Colecovision colors. Then I print screen the screen and import the drawn screen to add the sprite in your avatar to the mockup and adjusted the colors to match the Intellvision pallete.

I think a tree theme graphic would work well with this game. After all, apples come from trees. I'm not sure if acorn is in an apple tree, but in this game it does. It kinda hard for rocks to get stuck in trees.

• Like 2

I felt like doing a mock-up of this game. I used ICVGM to draw the tiles using the Colecovision colors. Then I print screen the screen and import the drawn screen to add the sprite in your avatar to the mockup and adjusted the colors to match the Intellvision pallete.

:lol: Brilliant! Love it!!

attachicon.gifapplesnafflemockup.png

I think a tree theme graphic would work well with this game. After all, apples come from trees. I'm not sure if acorn is in an apple tree, but in this game it does. It kinda hard for rocks to get stuck in trees.

Looking good! :)

Better, much better.

You dissin' my programmer art? :lol:

There are still plenty of free tiles left. The game only uses 11 so far. When I've had time to think about the enemies I can decide how many colours the player can be and then the game will really come alive.

Hmmmm... With acorns, apples and trees I'll have to do Rev a snow level :rolling:.

You dissin' my programmer art? :lol:

Nooooooooo. |:) Programmer art is great! Programmer art is da bomb! There's nothing like it. I have a bowl of it for breakfast every morning with my coffee and toast. :lol:

There are still plenty of free tiles left. The game only uses 11 so far. When I've had time to think about the enemies I can decide how many colours the player can be and then the game will really come alive.

Keep in mind that, unlike Boulder Dash, which has had traditionally a very "blocky" and "programmer artsy" look, you don't have to conform to any particular visual style. Colourful patterns and moving objects will bring this game to live significantly.

Hmmmm... With acorns, apples and trees I'll have to do Rev a snow level :rolling:.

Yes please! If you include a snow level, I know someone who wouldn't mind making a cameo. ;)

-dZ.

• Like 1

Nooooooooo. | :) Programmer art is great! Programmer art is da bomb! There's nothing like it. I have a bowl of it for breakfast every morning with my coffee and toast. :lol:

A man after my own heart :rolling:.

Keep in mind that, unlike Boulder Dash, which has had traditionally a very "blocky" and "programmer artsy" look, you don't have to conform to any particular visual style. Colourful patterns and moving objects will bring this game to live significantly.

True! But I also find that once sound effects go in the game does start to feel much more alive. Its a shame, that for some reason, they always seem to go in near the end in my projects :(. Thats mostly because of the amount of time needed to get them to match the events in the game.

Yes please! If you include a snow level, I know someone who wouldn't mind making a cameo. ;)

That means a Christmas release then! :lol:

True! But I also find that once sound effects go in the game does start to feel much more alive. Its a shame, that for some reason, they always seem to go in near the end in my projects :(. Thats mostly because of the amount of time needed to get them to match the events in the game.

Ah, of course, sound effects! Yes, they always seem to come at the end, and then you experience that moment, like in the movies, when the light shines on the game screen and the camera slowly tracks towards it, while a chorus of angelical voices sing in awe. There it is.

Oh, I know that moment. That's when you finally see that it's a game. :)

That means a Christmas release then! :lol:

No, not Christmas, they're much too busy with their own thing then. However, I hear it snows in the North Pole every day of the year. ;)

-dZ.

• Like 1

Ah, of course, sound effects! Yes, they always seem to come at the end, and then you experience that moment, like in the movies, when the light shines on the game screen and the camera slowly tracks towards it, while a chorus of angelical voices sing in awe. There it is.

Oh, I know that moment. That's when you finally see that it's a game. :)

Thats one of the good things about using RMT (tracker) on the A8s. You can have sound effects as instruments so the RMT player can play music and handle effects simultaneously. Although, there are some limitations obviously but its mostly "good enough".

Some of the Spectrum/Amstrad trackers have music+FX ability too. They are useful because they have the same sound chip as the Inty but are both Z80 based. One of these days I'll get around to relearning Z80. Hmmmm.... :ponder: Maybe one of the Coleco guys that have joined the Inty scene could do it :D.

No, not Christmas, they're much too busy with their own thing then. However, I hear it snows in the North Pole every day of the year. ;)

It'll cost a fortune in shipping to get the apple and Oak trees there :lol:.