IGNORED

Almost finished project announcement ;-)

marc.hull

For about a year and a half I have been working on a sound card for the PEB and a player for the TI. The Card is essentially done and tested working as expected. It incorporates a MOS 6581 (C64 SID) chip into the TI's memory map The player is about two thirds done and debugged and is designed to play all the songs from the CGSC file repository (SID Player.64 format)of which there are about 7000 titles therefore an instant file base. I think of the whole thing as a bit of an MP3 player for our TI. At any rate I plan on having everything finished and running correctly for the Chicago Faire. In the meantime here is a You Tube link showing the card and incomplete player in action. Enjoy.

Hey Marc--- what kind of player have you got going? Is coding for it intuitive? I assume each voice will have a bitflag or something which will indicate "square" or "fuzz" or something of the like?

Forgive me if I'm getting ahead of myself here... I know you'll post the manual when it's done... But in the meantime, I'm wanting to hear the Talking heads on MY TI. :)

Hey Marc--- what kind of player have you got going? Is coding for it intuitive? I assume each voice will have a bitflag or something which will indicate "square" or "fuzz" or something of the like?

Forgive me if I'm getting ahead of myself here... I know you'll post the manual when it's done... But in the meantime, I'm wanting to hear the Talking heads on MY TI. :)

The player I am doing is basically a ported version of SID Player.64 written in about 1984-86 so it plays files that are all ready in existence (about 7000-8000 in total.) For example the talking heads song file was coded in 1986. Google CGSC and download the windows player and that will give you an idea of what I am doing/trying to do on the TI. The card can of course can be used just like the TI's sound chip or in conjunction with it but is a bit more complex. Bit of a PITA to be exact and more complicated to explain. You'll have to wait for the manual. :(

I am thinking about offering a card and disk as a door prize to Hal for the convention. Maybe you should show up ;-)

• 1 month later...

Hi Marc,

that might be a tune for SID blaster ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrQuR1LHAVI

And this is what newcoleco turned it into on the colecovision (remember the same soundchip as on the 4A)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX1xSKQM9sc

Both are just incredible if you ask me :D

I didn't see it in the CGSC so no dice for now. The closest I found was a song from the game MULE (whatever that is...) and Super Mario Bro's hits... Sorry :( But I was listening to Mr. Roboto and Hysteria earlier (teaser ;-)

Hi Marc,

that might be a tune for SID blaster ;-)

Both are just incredible if you ask me :D

I didn't see it in the CGSC so no dice for now. The closest I found was a song from the game MULE (whatever that is...) and Super Mario Bro's hits... Sorry :( But I was listening to Mr. Roboto and Hysteria earlier (teaser ;-)

Rob Hubbard... quite the legend. This song is one I keep on stand-by on my PC during coding sessions. :dunce:

• 2 months later...

Just and update....

The card and software are more or less done and out for beta testing as we speak. With the help of some very clever friends it is now a complete file browser front end/player combination. Barring any unforeseen bugs or problems It should be available in late March or early April.

The front end supports floppy, scuzzy, ram disk and the HFDC for now with full directory and sub directory browsing. The whole project has more or less morphed into a TI based I-pod ;-).

Additionally I have gotten permission to convert into .dsk form and post the entire CGSC collection which will be available from somewhere (not sure where yet but most likely from the WHT site unless someone wants to host a 40+ meg group of files here.) There are now 8500+ songs available of which I suspect about 90 percent are good dumps or playable on the TI at this point.

All that is really left other than the Beta testing is to finish converting all the songs and coming up with a manual.

Thanks go to Tim Tesch and Ernie Pergrem for writing the code that was way above my head. Those two are very valuable members of the TI scene and with their help at least this project would have died on the vine.

This is great news! Can't wait to get my hands on one :)

Will you be creating an SDK for the card that will allow its use as an adjunct to assembly programs? (I'm thinking background music for a game for example, or maybe some special effects...).

Edited by Vorticon

This is great news! Can't wait to get my hands on one :)

Will you be creating an SDK for the card that will allow its use as an adjunct to assembly programs? (I'm thinking background music for a game for example, or maybe some special effects...).

Ummm. Sorry but what's a SDK ?

Just and update....

Additionally I have gotten permission to convert into .dsk form and post the entire CGSC collection which will be available from somewhere (not sure where yet but most likely from the WHT site unless someone wants to host a 40+ meg group of files here.) There are now 8500+ songs available of which I suspect about 90 percent are good dumps or playable on the TI at this point.

If you like I can also host them (have unlimited bandwith). Perhaps we can then add some kind of web GUI for easy navigation. :)

Ummm. Sorry but what's a SDK ?

Software Development Kit. Basically it would be documentation for any source code modules supplied, register I/O map, source code examples etc.

In that case yes. Basically some documentation on the SID chip/card functions and behaviors and an example or two of how to use the registers. It's really not a whole lot different than writing to the TI chip other than there are many more functions but not that silly TI nybble shuffling ;-)