IGNORED

Programming resources

GroovyBee

A big thanks to Al for creating the shiny new Intellivision Programming forum. Feel free to add links to Intellivision resources.

I'll get the ball rolling on a few :-

SDK

SDK-1600 - Contains the assembler, plenty of documentation on the CP1600, STIC etc. and several examples.

Emulators

jzintv

Bliss

Nostalgia

Emulators will require the files exec.bin and grom.bin. These files can be obtained from the Intellivision Lives CDs or found easily with an internet search.

Programming related

INTVPROG - Yahoo group

IntelliWiki

Homebrew developers

The latest version of jzintv is here and the latest version of sdk1600 example source is here.

• Like 2

A big thanks to Al for creating the shiny new Intellivision Programming forum. Feel free to add links to Intellivision resources.

I'll get the ball rolling on a few :-

SDK

SDK-1600 - Contains the assembler, plenty of documentation on the CP1600, STIC etc. and several examples.

Emulators

jzintv

Bliss

Nostalgia

Emulators will require the files exec.bin and grom.bin. These files can be obtained from the Intellivision Lives CDs or found easily with an internet search.

Programming related

INTVPROG - Yahoo group

IntelliWiki

Have a look here for basic programming lessons

IntyLab White Paper

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Programming related

INTVPROG - Yahoo group

IntelliWiki

How long has IntelliWiki been down?! I started an Intellivison emulator about a year ago and that was a fabulous resource! I just wanted to get back to work on it and it's gone! Does anyone know if it's coming back? Or if there is an archived version somewhere?

Try this URL: Intelliwiki II

That's been an effort by someone, whose name escapes me right now, to mirror it. The mirror is not complete, but it is better than nothing.

-dZ.

• 1 month later...

Programming related

INTVPROG - Yahoo group

IntelliWiki

How long has IntelliWiki been down?! I started an Intellivison emulator about a year ago and that was a fabulous resource! I just wanted to get back to work on it and it's gone! Does anyone know if it's coming back? Or if there is an archived version somewhere?

That's been an effort by someone, whose name escapes me right now, to mirror it. The mirror is not complete, but it is better than nothing.

-dZ.

Why is Intelliwiki dead? What exclusive info was on there if any?

Programming related

INTVPROG - Yahoo group

IntelliWiki

-dZ.

Why is Intelliwiki dead? What exclusive info was on there if any?

I don't know why it is dead. There were some problems with spammers (or spamming bots) constantly polluting it with garbage, and now it seems that there are some technical problems bringing it back up.

The wiki contained reference material on the Intellivision in general, including programming tutorials and other documents from the SDK-1600. Most of it is available in the mirror, though not all.

For aspiring Intellivision programmers it is a good source of information on the technical aspects of the platform.

-dZ.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

IntyBASIC compiler, takes a subset of integer BASIC and compiles to CP1610 assembler :)

Also including IntyColor utility to ease conversion of graphics screens in BMP format to Intellivision format.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/223886-intybasic-compiler-v07-now-with-intycolor/

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

An update to Inty Letterpress is now available for download.

2016-05-01

All of the recent talk about putting text in games motivated me a bit to get the update done (as well as my need for it in my upcoming game in the first place).

In a nutshell:

Some games need text, some need a lot of it.

Inty Letterpress is a Windows program that lets the user create text using TrueType fonts, set the font size leading and spacing, change foreground/background color, and save it as a bitmap; the result bitmap can be loaded into IntyColor for conversion into Cards or MOBs.

Use cases:

1. Making fancy text for a special (eg title) screen.Inty Letterpress will write to the screen with any TTF placed into its data directory (it does not use fonts installed into Windows), much easier than attempting to draw letters by-hand or use a mainstream paint program to get the letters in.
  2. Adding a lot of text. Inty Letterpress can keep a list of ~40,000 items in its repository, and the number of repositories is only limited by disk space. Each item can have its own font and size and color, etc settings. Text items can be "made uniform" with a single item if one happens to have an optimal combination of size/typeface that needs to be re-used.

The doc file was removed from the current distribution, and the help is also not there. A real documentation set and real help will be in the next release. I'll also put out a little demo video.

It was lightly tested on Windows 10 with the .NET Framework 4.6.1 installed.

Thanks, and enjoy!

post-31694-0-07650800-1462137266_thumb.jpg

Edited by First Spear
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...

Here's "MarcoFont", a utility that converts picture/bitmap to IntyBasic source code, BITMAP data. It's for Windows, but source code compiles/runs in Linux (MonoDevelop, project .NET/Mono 4.5). Code should compile in .NET 2.0, but project file is for newer versions. Windows 7+ should already have the .NET 3.5 compiler, use: "%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\msbuild.exe" "x:\path\to\MarcoFont.sln".

post-35249-0-21032700-1513566314.png

post-35249-0-01160100-1513566304_thumb.png

Sample image:

post-35249-0-76701400-1513567931.png

How to use: Bitmap: cards must be surrounded by a grid (See examples above). Load (bmp, gif, png), verify auto-detected colors (it assumes 1st top/left pixel is the grid color, and pixel below is the background color), then click "Process Image". Cards should be 8x8, but (in theory) it supports variable-sized grids, shown in the generated code, for example, [8,8]. Why that name? Many years ago I programmed it to convert proportional fonts to hex, I modified it for IntyBasic after I made SpaceVS. Enjoy!

MarcoFont-binary.zip

MarcoFont-Source.zip

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

IntyBASIC overflow calculator

Quick-and-dirty console application to be used in batch build exercises to report the number of words that are used in any IntyBASIC compiled Intellivision ROM segment. Makes it a little easier to test for negative values (ie ROM segment overflows) in scripts and/or at a console.

-s = silent (no title) (optional)

-m = memory amounts used (mandatory)

Requires a comma-delimited list of 6 hexadecimal values

Sample execution:

IbOf.exe -m 0cec,1dee,287f,0889,0737,0795
IbOf.exe -s -m $0cec,$1dee,$287f,$0889,$0737,$0795
IbOf.exe -s -m 0cec,1dee,287f,0889,0737,0795

Program will subtract the supplied value from the known available ROM amount and report it in a single string for downstream parsing.

Developed on/for Windows, .NET Framework 4.7.

2018-01-22 Intv Prime

No warranty, no docs, just quick-and-dirty. Hope it helps someone make larger games....

IbOf.zip

post-31694-0-81702500-1516656300.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure I understand what this tool does. It's been a while since I tested IntyBASIC, so I don't recall if it provides any ROM usage information (I don't think so).

If it doesn't, perhaps it should do something similar to the CART.MAC library from the SDK-1600, injecting assembler directives to keep track of ROM consumption to produce a similar output during assemblage. For example, below is the assembly output from P-Machinery, which is modeled after CART.MAC in many ways:

ROM USAGE:
    ==============================================================
        Segment        Type       Size       Used      Available
    ROM Seg #0        16-bit        8K         2456     5736 words
    ROM Seg #1        16-bit        8K            0     8192 words
    ROM Seg #2        16-bit       16K            0    16320 words
    ROM Seg #3        16-bit        4K            0     4096 words
    ROM Seg #4        16-bit        4K            0     3840 words
    ROM Seg #5        16-bit        2K           61     1987 words
             TOTAL:   16-bit       42K         2517    40171 words

When you see any segment in the "Available" column go negative, you know you need to spread the content into other segments. As IntyBASIC games become more and more sophisticated (and larger), this sort of information becomes very useful.

Something for nanochess' "Wish List" for 2018? :)

-dZ.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Dz-Jay,

I'm curious about how your P-machinery is going. Is it available to be listed in this thread about programming resources?

If I remember right, early P-machinery helped you with Christmas Carol development and I guess you planned to use it to help with the next CC game.

You will be happy to know that P-Machinery 2.0 development is on going. You will be disappointed to know that it is not ready for publishing yet since it does not offer enough features for a full game -- at least not the features that I intend it to include.

My goal (and I have my wife on my back every so often to keep me on track) is to have something ready to share this year (2018). Among the full set of features it will include are:

• Two-level programming framework API, specialized for game development:
    • Level 1: High-level(ish) (macro) library covering all framework's features and assembly language extensions
    • Level 2: Low-level (assembly) library that implements the entire framework
  • Full API documentation and guiding examples
  • Optimized, state- and event-driven game engine kernel with:
    • Support for multiple memory models
    • Automatic (static) RAM allocation manager (with built-in de-fragmentation)
    • Sprite definition structures
    • Game state definition structures
    • Sprite driver
    • Buffered video updates (border/color stack/mobs/etc.)
    • Buffered GRAM updates via a high-speed queue.
    • System-clock for timers and synchronization
    • Automatic string packing with de-duplication
    • Sprite motion driver
    • Sprite animation driver
    • Object-to-region/boundary collision driver
    • Object-to-object collision driver
    • Sound-synthesizer for instruments and sound-effects
    • Music tracker
    • Extensible "plug-in" API for custom hand-controller decoders (with several useful ones built-in)
    • Pseudo-random number generator with optional entropy
    • ... and many more!

Legend:

• Completed
  • Some progress
  • Not started

The above are not all that trivial. Consider that the "Sprite motion driver" will offer fully event-driven autonomous objects: You set some attributes such as X/Y velocity, acceleration, friction, etc. and define rectangular collision regions, and the objects will move automatically until their state or velocities are changed; and events will be triggered automatically when they breach the collision region's boundaries.

One of the coolest thing it offers is the framework's API: it's entirely built in macros but it includes, among other things, automatic parameter checking, automatic detection of immediate vs. indirect or register modes, and a sophisticated error-handling system which offers the programmer detailed information when something goes wrong. And all that is built on top of highly-optimized (or at least I hope it is) assembly language routines.

I think that once I have the sprite and animation drivers ready, the framework will be in a usable state and it's time to start building games with it. At that point, it can grow as requirements from game development demand.

We're pretty close to that, since the those two pieces are based on the work done for Christmas Carol.

If you or anybody is interested in more details or wish to give it a try, send me a PM.

-dZ.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Version 0.96 of Inty Letterpress is now available. Fixes related to path/configuration issues, slightly improved UX. MSI packaging removed for this release, only binary and application config file are included. Runs on Windows 7+ with .NET Framework 4.7.

post-31694-0-58123600-1549652028.jpg

https://twitter.com/IntvPrime/status/1093945029998055424

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An4PjBo4DvVxjS5PrH9gBPz_Jdyw