IGNORED

How do you keep track of your collection?

Atari Master

I use a custom database I created in Open Office just for the task. Yeah, I'm that much of a nerd :) It has a list of everything wanted, purchased, dates, prices, where it came from, whatever. I started it because I was tired of duplicates and needed a way to keep track of everything. So far it has worked pretty well.

I created a custom app in C# with a MS Access backend (easier to transport to another computer) that allows searches and a picture viewer with zoom if you have images stored in the right folders and path in the database. I can easily extend it to have a value column and do some basic mathematics on it if need be. I can email you this app if you want to use it.

I use www.backloggery.com. You just type the name of the game and what system it's on, and you don't have to sift through any lists of games. It's better for if you want to keep track of what you've beaten though. RF Generation on the other hand is better if you want information on all of the games you have.

After I accidentally purchased my third copy of Doom for 32X, I had an Access database that I started tracking things in. I wanted to be able to access it online from anywhere, so I moved to Open Game Lister running on my own server. After an upgrade, OGL ceased working and had various issues I could not solve, so I moved to Excel. Nowhere near as nice as OGL or my Access database, but it gets the job done with a minimal amount of work to set up.

I use an iPhone app called iCollect video games.

It's pretty decent. The real kicker is that you can use the iPhone's camera to scan the UPC barcode of the game's box and it will automatically get the game info from the internet. This saves a lot of typing! :)

It's also great to have on your phone, because I used to buy second or third copies of stuff accidentally if I saw it cheap. This way I can just scan the barcode and it will tell me if I already have it.

The barcode scanning only works for newer games. Older ones need to be entered manually, which works fairly well.

App cost was $2.99, which I feel was a good value.

• 1 year later...

Excel spreadsheet, sorta-recently uploaded into Google Docs. It's nice being able to look up my haves/wants on my phone from a store or at home.

Mine only tracks Genesis, N64, VCS, and 7800 so far. I really should add SNES and NES to it, but I rarely buy those when I'm away from home since the prices are usually nuts.

Edited by Rex Dart