IGNORED

Any Good Apple II Game Sites?

Tempest

Are there are websites for the Apple II that have a list of games and some screenshots similar to AtariMania or Lemon Amiga/64? I've found a few general discussion sites, but they seem strangely dead other than the newsgroup. I'm sort of surprised that there isn't a large Apple II game site out there (AppleAge anyone?)

Tempest

By far, the most thorough archive of Apple II software (including a ton of games) is the Asimov FTP archive:

ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net

It's gigantic and reasonably well-organized. There are even different versions and cracks of the same titles. It's as exhaustive a resource as you'll get when you're working entirely off user contributions.

The Virtual Apple website serves a slightly different purpose:

http://www.virtualapple.org/

The library is smaller, because it isn't intended as a comprehensive archive - it's an easy way to play Apple II games in your web browser. If it's screenshots you're after, this site has plenty of them.

As far as discussion goes, I think the Usenet comp.sys.apple2 newsgroup is the best you will find. There are a lot of wizards there that have been experimenting with and programming the Apple II for decades. They're quite friendly, and they've helped me out on several occasions. You won't find a better concentration of Apple II expertise. :)

I don't think that he is looking for a repository of games. He is looking for a database/fan site like AtariAge is for Atari games.

Chris

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an analogue to AtariAge for the Apple II world. For presentation (easy navigation, screenshots, etc.) the closest he'll get to something like Atarimania is the Virtual Apple site.

Apple II sites are generally pretty discrete - for example, you've got different sites for the Call-A.P.P.L.E. periodical, and for Beagle Bros. software. There's no single massive site where all that material is consolidated. But at least it's not tremendously difficult to find.

Apple II sites are generally pretty discrete - for example, you've got different sites for the Call-A.P.P.L.E. periodical, and for Beagle Bros. software. There's no single massive site where all that material is consolidated. But at least it's not tremendously difficult to find.

Yeah that's what surprises me. You'd think that the Apple II would have a large enough fan following that someone would have made a database type site by now. If only I had the time...

Tempest

• Like 1

I think he was looking for a site like this http://www.whatisthe2gs.apple2.org.za/ , but unfortunately that's for the IIgs and not the Apple II.

The only other way is to go to http://www.virtualapple.org/ and play each Apple II game, but would be time consuming and plus they don't have all the software. you can also try here http://portune.net/gs/ to get to the Apple II software select from the drop down what looks like a 5.25" drive, the 3.5" drives are for the IIgs software, you can also click on the library to see what all they have (both sites require ActiveGS to be installed to play from the browser).

Oh and BTW there is also http://www.apple2online.com/ which has a archive of Apple II software (games, educational, and other) but they are not listed if they are for the Apple II or IIgs nor have screen shots nor have info about them, most are for the Apple II series very few (that i have ran into) are for the IIgs.

Edited by madmax2069

I can supply the web space if anyone else is interested in building such a site...

Chris

That would be quite awesome (also thanks for thew offer, someone might take you up on that, They would be stupid not to, unless they have their own storage to do that), I do not know how to build a web site or i would try, but it also would need more then one person to go through the games and take screen shots of them (would make it allot faster) and someone that will write a little bit of info about the said game.

Edited by madmax2069

I grew up with the Apple IIe. We had one in my Elementary school and my Junior High had at least a hundred with two drives for typing class. I had a Laser 128/EX in the 90s and I worked the hell out of it. It had great shareware, Eamon etc. The only time I saw a C64 was when I was in Europe and we had to wait out those horrid tape loads for 1942. Yet these days you can pick up a C64 on Ebay for cheap. Apple IIs, go for big bucks and there are few of them in good condition on Ebay for anything reasonable. The C64 seems to have a bigger fan base, more current hardware mods and you can get the system for cheaper. I personally think the C64 is a nicer system as far as graphics and sound go. So I guess I'm mystified as why the C64 sells for less and has more fans than the Apple IIe here in the states.

An IIe with two 5 1/4 drives just went for $98 +shipping. O_o

That was with no returns.

And I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just saying I haven't seen one go for a price I'm comfortable with.

That's higher than what I'm used to seeing, but not what I would consider "big bucks". Still, your point is taken. That is more than I would expect a C64 with a couple of drives to go for.

Chris

An IIe with two 5 1/4 drives just went for $98 +shipping. O_o

That was with no returns.

That's probably because Apple IIs almost always come with drives in sets. Atari 8bits and C64 may not come with 2 drives. I have seen Atari 130xe with 2 drives go over $100 too.

Yeah, it's definitely more common to find an Apple II with drives and a monitor than just by itself. And you'll almost always have interface cards. The common ones like the Language Card, Super Serial Card, or the various floppy drive cards won't add much value, but a rarer card like a TransWarp, ThunderClock Plus, or Novation Apple-CAT (or any internal modem, really) can drive up the price very quickly.

And even an Apple //e, despite being common as dirt, can get expensive if it's in great condition. Its ubiquity works against it here - it was the workhorse of the line, and the one that was everywhere in schools, so it can be surprisingly difficult to find one that hasn't had the crap pounded out of it. Plus, the Platinum model's case was very susceptible to yellowing, so a pristine one of those can also fetch a high price.

Edited by Streck

I guess I'm lucky I still have my original one from 86. I love my Apple IIe...

Unlike other computers, you can get away with only one drive on the Apple II, but I don't recommend it if you're going to play any of the more advanced games. The Apple II generally detected and made use of multiple drives, unlike the C64 or 8-bits.

Tempest

Heck, I'd recommend two drives just so you had an easy way to copy disks. Technically you can do that with one drive, but it's a big PITA that involves a lot of disk-swapping.

Yeah that's what surprises me. You'd think that the Apple II would have a large enough fan following that someone would have made a database type site by now. If only I had the time...

I think this is probably because the Apple II's reputation was more as a general-utility computer and less as a gaming computer. For a brief time in the very early '80s, it was actually the best system for games, just because of the sheer number of exclusive titles. But it was also the computer most friendly to modification - aside from the obscene number of expansion slots, the whole system was designed with a '70s electronics hobbyist mentality where you could change anything, connect it to anything, make it do anything. Scientists loved it (and it seems they still do!), and small businesses, and of course we know about its early grip in schools (the story behind that is a pretty good one). That all adds up to a gigantic range of uses, and a correspondingly huge library of software... so I guess it was inevitable that Apple II fan sites are all specialized and separate.

I actually brought up your point on comp.sys.apple2 a couple of years ago - to deafening silence. That's the Apple II's legacy at work: the folks on that newsgroup are too busy tinkering and programming for that kind of project. ;)

Edited by Streck

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

We just started a Facebook group that is dedicated to HOMEBREW Apple II games...

We are in its infancy, but if you follow facebook its worth your while to join.

We will be posting pictures and descriptions of homebrew games, and if available links to them as well!

Remember, we just opened our doors, but in a few months we will have A LOT of content, some of it

already posted is pretty cool!

Tom @ AppleGAMEZONE on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1950493008547766/?ref=bookmarks

Edited by Tommyptr
  • Like 1

I very briefly had an Apple IIc when I was a kid that my Mom got me from a friend of hers that worked in an Apple Computer store in a local mall. I was a Commodore kid and already had a 64, but Mom wanted to contribute to my computer love and get me something I didn't have...although she herself had no clue what it was she was buying. It was a used computer with a green monochrome screen and one disk game (Aliens).

Needless to say I hooked it up, played a round or two of the game and pretty much thought "this sucks". Internal sound? Green display? No color? I guess I was too quick to rush it out the door that I didn't even realize it had composite color output. But I knew nothing about the Apple's. We used PETs, Vic-20's and C64s exclusively in school.

Well, many years later (and I am talking MANY...like a year ago) I scored a IIGS and was able to try some of those old II games in color via the CFFA3000. Somehow now they absolutely fascinate me. Maybe because I am more aware of the inner workings of the Apple II and impressed on what the hardware could achieve. I particularly liked the Apple II Robotron port.

I wish I still had that old IIc and I wish I gave it more of a chance back in those days. I see the appeal and I guess now that I am older (and maybe a little wiser? Not sure about that one..) I find a lot of respect for the Apple II games and game developers and actually find that a lot of these games are a blast to play. That said, I would love to see a dedicated Apple II game site. Such an iconic computer, so many game titles...it really deserves it.

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1