IGNORED

Season 6 Week 6 - Contra!

CGQuarterly

Welcome to week 6 of the 6th season of the Atari Age NES High Score League!

This week's game is going to be Contra. DO NOT USE THE KONAMI CODE!!!

Title: Contra

Developer: Konami

Publisher: Nintendo

Released: February, 1988 (US)

Twin Galaxies High Score: 6,553,500 by Matthew D Neubert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBMQhKK3Ctk

Tips:

None yet.

Current Standings:

• 1. Sonic R - 19 pts. (4)
    2. patbb - 16 pts. (3)
    3. dustfilledhobo - 11 pts. (3)
    4. roadrunner - 10 pts. (5)
    4. HatefulGravey - 10 pts. (3)
    6. pantherrob82 - 9 pts. (2)
    6. RJ - 9 pts. (1)
    6. mihcael - 9 pts. (1)
    9. ClassicGMR - 7 pts. (5)
    10. LarcenTyler - 3 pt. (3)
    10. darthkur - 3 pts. (1)
    12. Tr3vor - 2 pts. (2)
    13. atari1600land - 1 pt. (1)
    13. Hitachi - 1 pt. (1)
    13. wizardspade80 - 1 pt. (1)
    13. Jibbajaba - 1 pt. (1)

*9 points are awarded to first place, 6 to second, 3 to third, and everyone else receives 1. The number in parentheses next to your overall score is the number of rounds in which you have participated, and serves as the tiebreaker. *

Chris

I think this was the second NES game that I ever played as a kid. This is still one of my favorites.

778,200 points after about 12 attempts.

Here's a quick tip regarding the Energy Zone:

In places where you're trying to jump the gaps with "fire" coming from the ceiling, get as close to the edge of the platform as you can. Then, tap left to turn the character which will activate the "fire". As the fire retracts, jump. You may have to turn back to the right and then left again a couple of times to get it to fire.

In addition, get and hold onto the spread gun. Avoid the fireball gun or whatever it's called.

post-27362-12846039432_thumb.png

I think this was the second NES game that I ever played as a kid. This is still one of my favorites.

In places where you're trying to jump the gaps with "fire" coming from the ceiling, get as close to the edge of the platform as you can. Then, tap left to turn the character which will activate the "fire". As the fire retracts, jump. You may have to turn back to the right and then left again a couple of times to get it to fire.

In addition, get and hold onto the spread gun. Avoid the fireball gun or whatever it's called.

I love this game too. I can beat it w/o the code, and in my most recent attempt I almost beat it w/o continuing (I died at the heart). Here is my high score (nothing compared to yours, but its the best I've ever done).

HIGH SCORE: 227500

post-22595-128468086127_thumb.png

Edited by dustfilledhobo

I love this game too. I can beat it w/o the code, and in my most recent attempt I almost beat it w/o continuing (I died at the heart). Here is my high score (nothing compared to yours, but its the best I've ever done).

HIGH SCORE: 227500

The only reason my score is so high is because you get something like 500,000 points for defeating the heart. After that I only made it through half of the waterfall stage before the wheels came off.

finally got around to playing… I love this game!

305aed0f.jpg

I beat the second loop and died at the end of the third loop…

continuous play becomes an endurance test… I've usually just stopped play into the second loop but went on to see how far I could get. might try to beat the 3rd loop to break 2 million…