IGNORED

Mattel Aquarius Type-In Program: Desert Rat

the-topdog

I have started scanning in type in programs for the Aquarius from obscure sources and posting them on my website for the historical preservation of these fun little programs. I thought it would only be fitting to start at the beginning with the first 16k program introduced in the insanely hard to find Aquarius User magazine premier issue... Desert Rat. If you have any articles from other publications that you would like to add to the collection, just scan them in and send them to ma and I will post them.

mattel-aquarius-type-in-program-desert-rat-thumb.jpg

Edited by the-topdog
  • Like 2

Wow, that's great! Now everybody will get to experience the joy of typing in long BASIC programs on that Aquarius chicklet keyboard! ;)

(I'm just kidding! Of course, I'm delighted to see that you're taking the time to archive these programs.)

Reading through line-numbered BASIC listings is pretty horrifying now that I have more experience and two CS degrees, but it always brings back bittersweet memories for me. I keyed in quite a few of them growing up, and it gave me my first experience of typing and simple programming. Looking back at some of these programs now, I'm surprised that Aquarius type-ins in particular didn't use assembly-language subroutines more often, especially for time-consuming things like coloring/filling the screen.