IGNORED

MESS a800 Cartridge Software List

k1w1

Hello all,

I have been a lurker here for quite a while and an Atari fan since i purchased an a400 back in 1980 and later an ST.

Recently i completed a couple of software lists for the MESS emulator based on all available cartridges for the xegs and 400/800/xl series of computers. I was able to track down 294 cartridge ROMS for the 400/800/xl and 37 for the xegs.

You can go here to see the a800 list: -

http://git.redump.net/cgit.cgi/mess/plain/hash/a800.xml

And the xegs is here: -

http://git.redump.net/cgit.cgi/mess/plain/hash/xegs.xml

I think i have all of the cartridges for the xegs except for the "XE Demo Cartridge (CA400201)

" which appears not to be dumped yet.

The reason for my post was to seek your help in tracking down the missing cartridges from the a800 list. I have listed them in the beginning of the a800.xml link above. I know many of these have not been dumped but was hoping you may be able to point me in the right direction for the ones that have been.

The MESS Software list for the Atari 8bit cartridges is currently a much more comprehensive list than TOSEC.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

k1w1

You seem to be missing Xenphobe from the XEGS "missing" list.

Get a few Atari SALT cartridge images here.

Also, why Koala Painter is on the "doesn't run on XL/XE" list?

There are two prototype revisions of Super Pac-Man - the unfinished one is at Atarimania, the finished - at Atarionline.pl. No need for a separate entry for Video61 - they sell one of the above versions.

There were two revisions of Ms. Pac-Man (there's a dot after Ms), differing in colors when run on PAL machines. Also, Defender on your list is a bad/hacked dump. Recently, a good dump has been posted. See here.

Edited by Kr0tki

Thanks for for your help everyone, much appreciated. I will make changes, additions and updates to the list as you suggest.

I thought the XE Demo Cartridge was one package, why are there 4 different roms?

@ Carmel, the MESS emulator runs Atari software quite well. The XEGS cartridges all run if you use the software list functionality. You need to place the xegs.xml file into the hash directory and then load the cartridges via the software tab in MESSUI. The a800 cartridges still need work to interface to the software list, but about 40% of them will run in MESS as is.

Go here to find out about "software lists": -

http://mamedev.emulab.it/etabeta/?p=188

Thanks again

k1w1

Edited by k1w1

• 1 month later...

I have found a couple more cartridge roms: -

SpartaDos X v4.18

SpartaDos X v4.2a

Still need v4.17 though to go with v4.19, v4.20, v4.21 & 4.22.

One question though, v 4.20 & v.4.2a show the same version date on the title screen, 2-06-89. Does anyone know some history on this? Is 4.2a a hacked version?

Thanks in advance

k1w1

P.S. I have also added the AtariLab Light & Temperature modules, although i am not sure where i found them on the net. Let me know if you need them and i will post a download link.

I have also just found the ACE-80XL rom to add 80 columns to the Atari XL/XE. I can only get to run the title screen (in 80 columns) in Atari800Win emulator and no other emulator.

Once again if anyone is interested i will post a download link.

k1w1

I have also just found the ACE-80XL rom to add 80 columns to the Atari XL/XE. I can only get to run the title screen (in 80 columns) in Atari800Win emulator and no other emulator.

k1w1

Yes, Please post a download link.

Thanks!

k1w1

Yes, Please post a download link.

Thanks!

Here ya go.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6STI3LKL

k1w1

I have come across a number of other cartridge roms that don't seem to appear on any list as commercial releases on cartridge. They are : -

Arex (Adventure International)(1983) 16k

Danger Ranger (Microdeal)(1984)(OSb) 8k

Laser Gates (Imagic)(1984) 16k

Meteor (Germ-Soft) 8k

Super E-Burner (CSS)(1992) 8k

Thera-Med Zahnschutz-Spiel, Das (Henkel Cosmetics)(1984) 8k (This could possibly be some kind of game based product advertisement)

Trion 3d (London)(198x) 16k

Up Up and Away (Ringblack Software)(1983) 16k

I have found disk copies of these but no reference to them being released as cartridges. Are these genuine rleases or someones attempt to convert the disk version to cartridge?

Any help would be appreciated.

k1w1

• 2 weeks later...

It works fine. It just needs something to function WITH when you run it. You can enable Atari BASIC or have your DOS disk inserted to load after the 80-Column cart loads. Use "Start" and "Select" to adjust font and background brightness, then hit any key to begin.

Thanks MrFish, your right, it works brilliantly.

I have now found 316 cartridges. You can get the latest additions here: -

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B5EPU8D0

Included in that zip is "a800.xml", which is the latest MESS software list for the 8bit series excluding the 37 xegs carts.

All up, a800 & xegs i have 353 carts catalogued.

As always if someone can point me in the direction of those carts i have missed, please let me know.

thanks

k1w1

Thanks MrFish, your right, it works brilliantly.

I have now found 316 cartridges. You can get the latest additions here: -

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B5EPU8D0

Included in that zip is "a800.xml", which is the latest MESS software list for the 8bit series excluding the 37 xegs carts.

All up, a800 & xegs i have 353 carts catalogued.

As always if someone can point me in the direction of those carts i have missed, please let me know.

thanks

k1w1

Thank you for your posts and downloads. Very Very useful!!

Would you happen to have a rom called "Kiss" from Eastren House Software. It was for the right slot of an Atari 800.

Thanks again!

Fuls,

No i do not have that ROM, It is one of many utility cartridge ROM's I have not been able to find.

The "Atari Dumping Project" at this site here: -

http://www.atarimax.com/jindroush.atari.org/acartdp.html

Indicate that they have dumped many of the cartridges that I am still looking for. I would have thought that if they had been dumped that they must be available somewhere. I guess i will have to keep on scouring the net for them.

k1w1

...I would have thought that if they had been dumped that they must be available somewhere. I guess i will have to keep on scouring the net for them.

I don't think so. IIRC Jindroush states very clearly somewhere that his project has nothing to do with making ROMs available to the public.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found a few more cartridge dumps that i am hoping someone may be able to give me some information on.

I have three dumps called "AST (v1).rom", "AST (v2).rom" & "AST 2000.rom".

When loaded the first two make a sound and then go to black screen, AST 2000 loads and displays the word "Czekaj". I'm guessing that is a polish name.

What are these cartridges?

Secondly,

I have found another Action! language cartridge dump copyrighted for 1986. The one i have in the MESS Softwarelist is copyrighted 1983. I have looked at the hex dumps but cannot find a version number.

Does anyone have any information on what version numbers these maybe? i certainly cant find any reference for a 1986 release of Action!.

Thanks in advance

k1w1

I have found a few more cartridge dumps that i am hoping someone may be able to give me some information on.

I have three dumps called "AST (v1).rom", "AST (v2).rom" & "AST 2000.rom".

When loaded the first two make a sound and then go to black screen, AST 2000 loads and displays the word "Czekaj". I'm guessing that is a polish name.

What are these cartridges?

Secondly,

I have found another Action! language cartridge dump copyrighted for 1986. The one i have in the MESS Softwarelist is copyrighted 1983. I have looked at the hex dumps but cannot find a version number.

Does anyone have any information on what version numbers these maybe? i certainly cant find any reference for a 1986 release of Action!.

Thanks in advance

k1w1

I don't know exactly what the Ast rom is, but the 8k versions will load with Atari800winPlus. When loading the rom choose to load it as a Phoenix Rom instead of "Standard 8 Kb Cartridge"

Thanks Fuls,

I thought i had tried the Phoenix function, Ah well, i must have been too tired at the time.

From that little more information i have found that AST possible stands for "Atari Super Turbo". This appears to have been some tape loading software popular in Poland & Czekoslovakia. I'm guessing AST 2000 is something similar without the menu interface. Does anyone know whether these were commercial or homebrew creations?

I still have not found any more info on the 1986 copyright version of Action!. All i can find is that three versions were produced by OSS in 1984. They were, v3.4, v3.5 & v3.6.

k1w1

From that little more information i have found that AST possible stands for "Atari Super Turbo". This appears to have been some tape loading software popular in Poland & Czekoslovakia.

Only in Poland. It was developed by a Warsaw company "Atari Studio", and it required a hardware modification in a tape recorder. To try it out under emulation, go here.

Both AST (v*).rom images are an "AST Utility" cartridge, sold together with the tape recorder modification. Apparently there were several minor revisions to that cartridge - that's the reason those two images are not identical.

I'm guessing AST 2000 is something similar without the menu interface.

AST 2000 was two cartridges in one - it contained an AST Utility cartridge, and a cartridge for Turbo 2000 (another turbo system popular in Poland). The "AST 2000" contained a 16KB ROM and a two-position switch, which allowed to choose between one of two 8KB banks. So in reality this image is composed of two 8KB images. Try splitting it in half and mounting each of the halves as a Phoenix 8KB cartridge.

Unfortunately, the second half (Turbo 2000) won't work in the emulator - the real cartridge contained a capacitor that automatically switched off the cartridge from memory after a certain time, and this isn't currently emulated.

Does anyone know whether these were commercial or homebrew creations?

AST Utility was sold commercially. The AST 2000 cartridge - I don't know.

However, pretty much all of Polish cartridge products could be considered homebrews, given the way they were produced. :)

Edited by Kr0tki

• 6 years later...

Thera-Med Zahnschutz-Spiel, Das (Henkel Cosmetics)(1984) 8k (This could possibly be some kind of game based product advertisement)

I have found disk copies of these but no reference to them being released as cartridges. Are these genuine rleases or someones attempt to convert the disk version to cartridge?

Well, late reply, but I can confirm there were Thera-Med Zahnschutz-Spiel cartridges, I had one back in the days. My grandma bought it for me along with an Donkey Kong Jr. Cartridge and an Atari 600XL. Maybe it was some kind of a special bundle or package offer, I don't know.