IGNORED

Free sprites for the taking

PAC-MAN-RED

I made some sprites in my spare time and thought I'd share them with everyone on the Forum. There are some animated sprites that can be put together for general use or in games. These sprites have all been made with Visual bB and comply with the normal colour restrictions (one colour per horizontal line). There are also two files that are blank pixel matrices, one 5x5 and one 8x8 of which I'm hoping people could use for their own purposes or to share their creations.

Enjoy. :)

EDIT - Seeing as this Sprite library has grown and has spread out over several pages I see the need for new comers to gain access to the Sprites quicker. I'll be adding quick links to all of the sprite submissions that are being shared here as things progress.

Current as of Nov 6th 2010. Sprite files exist at:

Post #8 Post #11 Post #14 Post #18 Post #21 Post #26 Post #29 Post #32 Post #34 Post #36 Post #47 Post #52 Post #56 Post #57 Post #60 Post #62 Post #65 Post #67 Post #69 Post #72 Post #74 Post #75 Post #76 Post #78 Post #79 Post #80 Post #83 Post #86 Post #87 Post #88 Post #89 Post #90 Post #93 Post #94 Post #98 Post #99 Post #100 Post #101

post-26314-128432883841_thumb.png

post-26314-128432885173_thumb.png

post-26314-128432886905_thumb.png

post-26314-128432892429_thumb.png

post-26314-128432893611_thumb.png

post-26314-128432894794_thumb.png

post-26314-128432896913_thumb.png

post-26314-128432897925_thumb.png

post-26314-128432898803_thumb.png

post-26314-128432900602_thumb.png

post-26314-128432901734_thumb.png

post-26314-128432902749_thumb.png

post-26314-12843290378_thumb.png

post-26314-128432904952_thumb.png

post-26314-128432905997_thumb.png

post-26314-12843290702_thumb.png

post-26314-128432908321_thumb.png

post-26314-128432909583_thumb.png

post-26314-128432910466_thumb.png

post-26314-128432911815_thumb.png

post-26314-128432912986_thumb.png

post-26314-128432913755_thumb.png

post-26314-128432915097_thumb.png

post-26314-128432916281_thumb.png

post-26314-128432919935_thumb.png

post-26314-12843292132_thumb.png

Edited by PAC-MAN-RED
  • Like 12

If you made them with VbB, you could include the sprite files in a ZIP file so people could download and use them immediately. They could edit them with the Sprite Editor or just drag and drop them right into their programs.

I thought about just attaching the sprite files, but for ease of creating the sprites I simply created a very long and/or extra wide empty space in the editor and then I created multiple sprites inside the one sprite file. :) Quite the mess to sort into separate sprite files, but making them into PNG files was easier. Besides, I'd like people to enjoy the creation process, or at least part of it, and strive to create quality sprites and sprite animation.

Hey great idea.. thanks for sharing. A lot of them look pretty nice too. Would be nice to see this grow really large.

Thank you, this was many hours of work/fun and the challenge of creating some of them to be pseudo 3D(some of the Trees, Killer Mushroom, Mr. Skull, etc.) was awesome. I plan on continuing to add more in the future, and I hope others will do the same. :D

If you made them with VbB, you could include the sprite files in a ZIP file so people could download and use them immediately. They could edit them with the Sprite Editor or just drag and drop them right into their programs.

I thought about just attaching the sprite files, but for ease of creating the sprites I simply created a very long and/or extra wide empty space in the editor and then I created multiple sprites inside the one sprite file. :) Quite the mess to sort into separate sprite files, but making them into PNG files was easier. Besides, I'd like people to enjoy the creation process, or at least part of it, and strive to create quality sprites and sprite animation.

I'm not trying to poop on your parade, but if you really want to help users who may not have a creative bone in their bodies, providing sprite files would be nice. People who are creative won't bother trying to recreate your sprites. They'll just draw their own.

I hoped over time that artists would eventually build up a free 'library' of sprite files that users could download and edit or use directly in their works in progress:

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-vbb.html#notjustforprogrammers

VbB Isn't Just for Programmers

Your artist friends can use the VbB Sprite Editor to make some cool multicolored sprites. They can then save the sprites and send them to you and all you'll have to do is drag and drop them into your game. No more spending hours trying to recreate sprites by looking at GIFs (or PNGs). The same can be done with playfields using the VbB Playfield Editor. Once programmers and artists start using VbB together, a lot of time and energy will be saved.

I'm not trying to poop on your parade, but if you really want to help users who may not have a creative bone in their bodies, providing sprite files would be nice. People who are creative won't bother trying to recreate your sprites. They'll just draw their own.

I hoped over time that artists would eventually build up a free 'library' of sprite files that users could download and edit or use directly in their works in progress:

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-vbb.html#notjustforprogrammers

VbB Isn't Just for Programmers

Your artist friends can use the VbB Sprite Editor to make some cool multicolored sprites. They can then save the sprites and send them to you and all you'll have to do is drag and drop them into your game. No more spending hours trying to recreate sprites by looking at GIFs (or PNGs). The same can be done with playfields using the VbB Playfield Editor. Once programmers and artists start using VbB together, a lot of time and energy will be saved.

Don't worry, you'll only poop on my parade if I let you. *readies shotgun* ;) Therefore, I've prepared SOME of the sprite files and will attach them to my next reply. I'll attach more as they are completed. :)

• Like 1

Hey Everybody,

Here are some of the Sprite files ready for use in your programs. If anyone wants me to turn any of the Sprite Pictures shown in the 1st Post into usable Sprite files then reply here, and I'll whip them up for you.

Enjoy!

Ant Sprite Animation.zip

Apples.zip

Books.zip

Chairs.zip

Coins.zip

Crabs Sprite Animation.zip

Daggers.zip

Hands.zip

Keys.zip

Edited by PAC-MAN-RED
  • Like 1

Here are some of the Sprite files ready for use in your programs.

Thanks. In case you don't know, you can put attached files in your post using Add to Post and pair up the images with the files. Here's an example:

post-13-128434930436_thumb.png

Ant Sprite Animation.zip

post-13-128434946867_thumb.png

Apples.zip

I'm adding 11 more complete Sprite files that correspond to the pictures in the 1st Post; All ready for use in programs. I'm just tossing them into this message without using the Add to Post feature for now. Future Sprite/Picture submissions will be done properly.

At this time I have not made Sprite files for the following:

Distant Bird

Mr. Skull

Killer Mushroom

Snakes

These may show up later or upon request.

Thank you.

Crowns.zip

Masks.zip

Mushrooms.zip

Pears.zip

Potions.zip

Rings.zip

Shields.zip

Swords.zip

Tables.zip

TreasureChest.zip

Trees.zip

Thanks for the artwork. It is good work and awesome that you are sharing. It helps give me ideas of how to do artwork and I may use a few of them myself.

You're most welcome and thank you. If you want to, you could always credit me if you make something that uses them. :D :D :D But even without credit, I'll keep making them because as you've mentioned it gives people some idea of how they can make their own sprites look the way they want them to. :) I'm also hoping to get more examples done of animated Sprites.. need more spare time for that though.

There used to be a website to make tiny website buttons.. someone originally posted a few, someone made a program you could easily make some from the web, this other guy started hosting them in an organized fashion, and well people kept submitting them.. last I remember there were hundreds for free use. I was the top designer with over 60 buttons. I wanted to go back last night to see if I was still the king, but I see his website isn't functioning.. says database error.

I always give credit when credit is due and this would be one of those times. Great job!

Thanks for the artwork. It is good work and awesome that you are sharing. It helps give me ideas of how to do artwork and I may use a few of them myself.

You're most welcome and thank you. If you want to, you could always credit me if you make something that uses them. :D :D :D But even without credit, I'll keep making them because as you've mentioned it gives people some idea of how they can make their own sprites look the way they want them to. :) I'm also hoping to get more examples done of animated Sprites.. need more spare time for that though.

I always give credit when credit is due and this would be one of those times. Great job!

Awesome :) And thanks again. More sprites will be added soon. :thumbsup:

You go PAC-MAN-RED!! You do it!! Not everyone is a pixel artist. It'd be nice to see a free library of sprites to include with Batari BASIC or VisualbB. Sample images with .spr code for sprites is an awesome idea and I hope others follow your AWESOME example!

Thank you, I really appreciate all the praise I'm being given. :) That's a great idea! Have sample sprites and code included with either of those programs, of say, simple and not so simple non-animated and animated sprites. :D