IGNORED

Free sprites for the taking

PAC-MAN-RED

Excellent work!

Do you have any ideas for a little (5-8 pixels height) 1-color 2-frames person walking animation?

post-26314-128487919216_thumb.png

WalkingMan Animation.zip

Thank you. :)

Here are two examples of a person walking. The first frame is meant to be a static frame of just the person standing still followed by a 2 frame animation. The first frame could be omitted if you really really wanted to. :P

Very nice, with these size/color limitations.

But I was thinking of a person walking from left to right (or vice versa), like your avatar!

My Avatar(Sir Graham from Kings Quest I AGI version which I've converted to an Atari Sprite) uses 6 frames. Walking left or right would require a minimum of 3 frames(see zombie example coming up) or else it looks like they're either skating or doing jumping jacks. :P I can create a 3 frame walking man if you'd like.

Edit - I thought that maybe the guy in Berzerk was maybe 1 Static frame and 2 animated frames, but it looks like it uses all 3 frames. :(

Edited by PAC-MAN-RED

Regarding walking animations, here is an enteresting article (2-frames, 4-frames, 8-frames walking cycles):

http://www.manningkrull.com/pixel_art/tutorials/walking.asp

Most every tutorial online seems to be for sprites that can have more than one color for each row. As we get more people using bB, maybe tutorials specifically made for batari Basic sprites will be created:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/164780-are-there-any-atari-2600-sprite-animation-tutorials/

• Like 1

Regarding walking animations, here is an enteresting article (2-frames, 4-frames, 8-frames walking cycles):

http://www.manningkrull.com/pixel_art/tutorials/walking.asp

For my side walking animation I have no limits regarding frames.

That site's a good read. :) And so I've decided to make a 2 frame Animation of a Skating.. er I mean WalkingMan Sprite.. heh :D

post-26314-128491728098_thumb.png

WalkingMan Animation 2Frames.zip

This walking animation tutorial site seems to be quite nice, despite it being for multicolored sprites... I'm fully in support about new tutorials, if possible not too platform-specific... E.g. on the C64 you have single-colored sprites, too (there are single-colored as well as multicolored sprites, where you have a better resolution if you use single colored)...

Currently I am thinking about how to make a walk cycle for this:

post-23067-128491945636_thumb.png

;) Yeah I know, with 3 legs you get into some trouble, but Spielberg('s people) could make it look convincing, and propably others managed to do it before... (Yeah, I'm actually going to look at scenes from the 2005 WotW movie with walking tripods frame-by-frame as part of my "research" for this little project of mine... Oh, by the way, don't get too excited, I'm not really planning a game with this (yet), it's just me fooling around with the sprites a little, propably all it's gonna be is a short "video clip")

Edited by Herbarius

And so I've decided to make a 2 frame Animation of a Skating.. er I mean WalkingMan Sprite.. heh icon_mrgreen.gif

Thank you.

I like man's head like Intellivision running man or Aaron Curtis Fall Down game (IMHO one of the best VCS side walking animations):

http://il.youtube.co...feature=related

Unfortunately with bB we don't have single line resolution.

My try:

post-12528-12849250763_thumb.png post-12528-12849250849_thumb.png

WalkingMan4.zip

And so I've decided to make a 2 frame Animation of a Skating.. er I mean WalkingMan Sprite.. heh icon_mrgreen.gif

Thank you.

I like man's head like Intellivision running man or Aaron Curtis Fall Down game (IMHO one of the best VCS side walking animations):

http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=C1lHMgKnq5U&feature=related

My try:

I'm glad you like it. I'll add more animated sprites and sprites in general as I find more time. :)

This walking animation tutorial site seems to be quite nice, despite it being for multicolored sprites... I'm fully in support about new tutorials, if possible not too platform-specific... E.g. on the C64 you have single-colored sprites, too (there are single-colored as well as multicolored sprites, where you have a better resolution if you use single colored)...

Currently I am thinking about how to make a walk cycle for this:

post-23067-128491945636_thumb.png

;) Yeah I know, with 3 legs you get into some trouble, but Spielberg('s people) could make it look convincing, and propably others managed to do it before... (Yeah, I'm actually going to look at scenes from the 2005 WotW movie with walking tripods frame-by-frame as part of my "research" for this little project of mine... Oh, by the way, don't get too excited, I'm not really planning a game with this (yet), it's just me fooling around with the sprites a little, propably all it's gonna be is a short "video clip")

Almost need a pencil and a flip-book so that each frame could be drawn properly... and putting a number next to the legs might help. :P

Thank you.

http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=C1lHMgKnq5U&feature=related

My try:

Well done variation for the sprites. :) It'll help give people some more choices for their sprite animations. Thanks for submitting it. :-D

Pac-Man-Red, your thread is very interesting.

Sometimes people needs good sprites to be motivated to start a project.

But regarding motivations, Random Terrain is the master!

Thank you. And yes it's so true. Motivation is definitely the key. I originally wanted to get back into programming after many years of not doing any programming at all, and try out the Atari 2600 side of things. After seeing that some Assembly may be required (little joke there :D ), and having little time in my busy schedule to learn Assembly, I began to lose heart. But I soon realized I still had my talent for sprite making. So I shifted my focus, and here we are. :)

Wow you keep this up and I wont need to do any sprites on my own. LoL :D

Hahaha... funny. :D That is the advantage of having a surplus of sprites laying around. Free sprites do help speed the programming process, generate ideas, get results sooner, etc. Reaffirming the believe that the best things in life are free... sprites. :party: :P

Thanks for the comments on my contribution, guys!

Very nice, RevEng!

Can you attach .spr files?

Can you design a matching standing front sprite?

Unfortunately I don't use vbb, so I can't generate a .spr. I've attached sprite sheets, which hopefully should help with any import.

The standing guy front view is less interesting than the walking side view, but the same thing applies in real life. Click on the images to see the gif animation...

post-23476-128500618269_thumb.gif post-23476-12850064999_thumb.gif

post-23476-128500651083_thumb.gif post-23476-128500649033_thumb.gif

...the neck could be filled in for a more realistic (less representational) look, but if the animation stays on that frame for a while your brain starts to see it like the blob of pixels it is.

The sprite sheets...

post-23476-128500629305_thumb.gif post-23476-128500631608_thumb.gif

Thanks for the comments on my contribution, guys!

Very nice, RevEng!

Can you attach .spr files?

Can you design a matching standing front sprite?

Unfortunately I don't use vbb, so I can't generate a .spr. I've attached sprite sheets, which hopefully should help with any import.

The standing guy front view is less interesting than the walking side view, but the same thing applies in real life. Click on the images to see the gif animation...

post-23476-128500618269_thumb.gif post-23476-12850064999_thumb.gif

post-23476-128500651083_thumb.gif post-23476-128500649033_thumb.gif

...the neck could be filled in for a more realistic (less representational) look, but if the animation stays on that frame for a while your brain starts to see it like the blob of pixels it is.

The sprite sheets...

post-23476-128500629305_thumb.gif post-23476-128500631608_thumb.gif

These are good. :) I could plunk the animation into vbb and make them into .SPR files if you'd like? :ponder: Unless some one beats me to it.