IGNORED

Free sprites for the taking

PAC-MAN-RED

Here is my take on the Metal Gear / Commando score font for DPC+

attachicon.gifMetalGearDPCplus.zip

Please note that I've never actually used DPC+ so I'm just guessing these score font sprites are the correct format.

I love that Commando font.

Since you asked about score for DPC+, here is how I change fonts.

At the top of your code, use: const font=handwritten just like regular bB.

Then with a text editor open the default *_score.asm.handwritten (or choose any of the other fonts), change the data bytes, upside down just like bB, zero thru nine, and save it >>>into your project folder<<<

Data bytes: " .byte %01100110" like that.

This will keep the original untouched, and the compiler looks in the project folder first for fonts.

I started to make a really strange hard-to-read alien-esque font, but I kept making it more readable, and it ended up being Intellivison-esque. I will edit and post that here.

med_gallery_29575_733_13044.jpg

score_graphics.asm.handwritten.zip

• Like 1

I would like a Link sprite for the Zelda homebrew I'm making.

Here's a Link sprite sheet for reference.

zelda-sprites-link.png

I'd love to see this game progress. I've thought about doing this one, but I want to start making my very own games now and I would love to hand the "demake" torch to someone else.

Edited by Sprybug
  • Like 2

I'd love to see this game progress. I've thought about doing this one, but I want to start making my very own games now and I would love to hand the "demake" torch to someone else.

I appreciate the support, but honestly I'm still learning. I will try my best with the demake. I already know what the game will be like and I believe I can accomplish all that I've planned.

I'm only having trouble with the collision detection, no one wants to see Link walking through walls. =P

I appreciate the support, but honestly I'm still learning. I will try my best with the demake. I already know what the game will be like and I believe I can accomplish all that I've planned.

I'm only having trouble with the collision detection, no one wants to see Link walking through walls. =P

Well, the Atari's hardware collision detection can only detect when a sprite hits a playfield block after it's been drawn on the screen, so there would be a frame where you would see Link in a wall before you spit him back out. There is a way around it, which is what I do in my games, but it requires more CPU cycle time because you are comparing memory values. You would take the sprite's X & Y coordinates and compare them with the playfield memory (var0-var44) or use Batari's pfread command to read where a playfield block is and compare with that. The pfread method takes more CPU clocks and I only use that when necessary. When I can I take the sprites x & y, convert them to a playfield x & y coordinate and compare it with whatever var bit that x & y is occupying. Of course you can only do this if you're using the standard kernel. The other advanced kernels use the melody's memory for the playfield and I don't know how you do checks with that.

• Like 1

Well, the Atari's hardware collision detection can only detect when a sprite hits a playfield block after it's been drawn on the screen, so there would be a frame where you would see Link in a wall before you spit him back out. There is a way around it, which is what I do in my games, but it requires more CPU cycle time because you are comparing memory values. You would take the sprite's X & Y coordinates and compare them with the playfield memory (var0-var44) or use Batari's pfread command to read where a playfield block is and compare with that. The pfread method takes more CPU clocks and I only use that when necessary. When I can I take the sprites x & y, convert them to a playfield x & y coordinate and compare it with whatever var bit that x & y is occupying. Of course you can only do this if you're using the standard kernel. The other advanced kernels use the melody's memory for the playfield and I don't know how you do checks with that.

Thank you for the advice, but I did a little more research and I eventually came up with a solution to the problem.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, since this topic seems to be covering more than free sprites I thought I'd pass along some more advice regarding title screen art.

I recently made a startup logo for Neo Games (Neotokeo2001)

post-13304-0-42409700-1410957894_thumb.jpg

I included my reference art (dredged up from Google) on the right hand side.

* Don't be afraid to alter character perspective especially if it enhances legibility. In this case I tilted the guys head so that both lenses are more visible. It looked really weird with only one lens in his glasses visible.

I was able to reproduce the twists and turns of the joystick cable pretty well. However, the video game console had to be turned more towards the viewer due to pixel constraints. I just didn't have enough pixels to accurately reproduce that angle and it was too close to the edge of the canvas.

* Again with legibility. I had to draw my own "NEO GAMES" text as there wasn't enough pixels to use the existing drawing. That's OK

* You don't have to include all of the reference work in your art. Notice the right end of the TV is cut off as well as the characters back. It's better to choose what is important in an image than shrink everything down.

* Putting two same color pixels side-by-side can be just as effective as dithering. Notice the back of the guys shirt arm.

Anyway, I'm sure I missed some other points. I'm not a professional artist so my advice is from a developers perspective. I'm sure I've screwed up some terms.

Cheers!

• Like 3

Well, since this topic seems to be covering more than free sprites I thought I'd pass along some more advice regarding title screen art.

I recently made a startup logo for Neo Games (Neotokeo2001)

Cheers!

Great tips.

I personally could not make out at all what was on that guy's shoulders until I compared it to the original. I thought the ear was an eye...

Don't mean to discourage you with neg feedback.

Glad to see you posted some Sharknado screens. I really was about to request some.

Great tips.

I personally could not make out at all what was on that guy's shoulders until I compared it to the original. I thought the ear was an eye...

Don't mean to discourage you with neg feedback.

Glad to see you posted some Sharknado screens. I really was about to request some.

I think some people believe that negative feedback has to be put forth like an arse. In reality, we both know "negative" can be constructive feedback if put forth in good faith. I definitely appreciate your comments!

I didn't see the eye/ear thing. It is quite a different style from my own drawings. That added a bit more challenge.

The hood of the jacket got butchered clipping the guys back. It was either that or more of the guys back and less TV. I figured the TV was more important. A hard call for sure!

My 2 cents:

For something like the Neo Games picture, if I was doing the conversion, I'd probably re-draw the original image a little.

Since the guy and the TV are clipped a little, you could redraw the TV to be flat instead of tilted. If the TV was drawn "flat", then you would only need the front of the TV, and wouldn't have to worry about the TV's side.

Also / alternately, you could probably move the guy over one pixel closer to the TV. That would allow you more room for the hood/back.

You could probably color the logo on the TV by having a couple of red background pixels behind the TV screen.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had been working on a short horror-themed game for the 2600 to take a little break from other projects, but as the prospects of those other projects aren't looking too hot, I find myself a bit discouraged from continuing this little side project.

So my loss is (hopefully) your benefit. Here's a title screen I made:

post-34988-0-96472000-1414609515_thumb.png

post-34988-0-29606800-1414609540.png

And some sprites that go with it:

post-34988-0-97522200-1414616276.gif

post-34988-0-99494100-1414616291.pngpost-34988-0-02432300-1414616293.pngpost-34988-0-54493400-1414616293.pngpost-34988-0-55562200-1414616294.pngpost-34988-0-03811300-1414616295.pngpost-34988-0-02876300-1414616294.pngpost-34988-0-52317400-1414616292.png

Feel free to use for whatever!

Edited by Cybearg
  • Like 3

Whaddya talking about Cybearg? You need help? Cheering on? Promotion? You know we have your back, man :)

Appreciate it! :D Rather, I'd just rather move on to more meaningful projects than messing around with a game where you play as an insane clown sacrificing children to Clownthulu.

Maybe someone else will have a better use for the assets.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

EDIT: thanks for your help, my project is going well this long later.

Hi. I play Tetris. I try to make drawings and stuff merely for fun. You could see some examples in the gallery when I posted this (see edit). I found this topic and figured it was worth asking for help even if it may lean off the original intention. However, I am playing games with your sprites so... The problem is I don't know how to draw much. I don't like to take images from the internet even though I give it no use other than personally fulfilling the artwork in Tetris. A couple of drawings I did had been based on some art here, which is labeled free! One thing I would really like to build now is fire. But I'm not sure how to design it properly like a pixel artist would approve. Hopefully I came to right place when it comes to pixel awesomeness. There is a Tetris diagram tool but you don't really need it. The idea of drawing in Tetris is neat at least, don't you think?

You can't do anything you want though, it has limitations that the person drawing needs to know. Too technical and very long to list. To keep it really short: single yellow minos (blocks) aren't possible, they have to be in horizontal pairs; total number of minos in the matrix must be even, not odd; empty or fully filled rows collapse; 10 width, up to 12 height is okay, 12 to 16 height may become too much work, over 16 height is too hard or impossible; etc...

I hope this experiment goes well so thanks a lot. :) At least I shared the concept. :P

Edited by AS9999
  • Like 1

post-13304-0-08761400-1446677000_thumb.jpg

Hi. I play Tetris. I try to make drawings and stuff merely for fun . . .

I hope this experiment goes well so thanks a lot. :) At least I shared the concept. :P

Atari 2600 graphics might not be suited to Tetris art. You only get one color per line. As well the blocks are less delineated which effects what is recognizable as fire. The graphics must be 8 or less pixels wide. My example here doesn't look like much until you animate it by "reflecting" the sprite to animate it.

• Like 1

attachicon.giffire.jpg

Atari 2600 graphics might not be suited to Tetris art. You only get one color per line. As well the blocks are less delineated which effects what is recognizable as fire. The graphics must be 8 or less pixels wide. My example here doesn't look like much until you animate it by "reflecting" the sprite to animate it.

Hmm, okay. Thanks.