IGNORED

Schematics for modding standard joystick to works with 7800

urborg

I'm serching for schematics how to mod a standard Atari XL/XE compatible joystick to work with 7800. Does anybody has it or maybe know where can it be found?

I want to mod a pair of joysticks because using a joypad is not very comfortable for me. After a 15-20 minutes of playing my left thumb usually hurts so much that I have to make a break. I'm just not used to such a controller. My kids also can't play on joypads, because it is to big for their small hands (4 and 6 years old). I've got plenty of old joystick from Atari XL/XE computers

Some game like Galaga can be palyed on Joystick and this is far better than a pad, but I want to have a possibility to play all the games, including 2-button games, using a joystick.

I believe 7800 pads connect both buttons to the Pot (paddle) inputs as well as the normal Trig input.

Supposedly the 7800 itself supplies a pullup voltage which is weak (2600) or strong (7800 mode) which alters the way they work dependant on the console mode at the time.

IIRC, both buttons will return Trig values on the computer but not alter the paddle values (and same case for a 2600 and probably most other computers that use Atari controllers).

From memory, the 7800 controllers only differ in that they have resistors between the buttons and paddle inputs. I don't have any schematic, but I guess there should be one somewhere.

The problem you'll likely encounter is that practically no standard Atari type joystick will have the wires supplied for the Pot inputs, so you'd need to make up new cables in addition to the added circuitry.

Of course, you could just take the cable from a 7800 pad which would make the job somewhat easier.

Edited by Rybags

I believe 7800 pads connect both buttons to the Pot (paddle) inputs as well as the normal Trig input.

Supposedly the 7800 itself supplies a pullup voltage which is weak (2600) or strong (7800 mode) which alters the way they work dependant on the console mode at the time.

IIRC, both buttons will return Trig values on the computer but not alter the paddle values (and same case for a 2600 and probably most other computers that use Atari controllers).

From memory, the 7800 controllers only differ in that they have resistors between the buttons and paddle inputs. I don't have any schematic, but I guess there should be one somewhere.

The problem you'll likely encounter is that practically no standard Atari type joystick will have the wires supplied for the Pot inputs, so you'd need to make up new cables in addition to the added circuitry.

Of course, you could just take the cable from a 7800 pad which would make the job somewhat easier.

I was googling and serchead this forum as well, but do not find schematics.

I know that I'll have to replace cords and plugs. I just going to buy a cable in electronic shop and standard rs232 plugs to make new cables, because I don't want to destroy the joypads.