IGNORED

Halo 2600 Box & Manual Template

kain_kusanagi

To all who wish they had a box to go along with their Halo 2600 cart I've prepared several color and style choices as well as a manual with custom back cover art. Click the following link to download a zip file with everything you need to start printing. I'll leave it up to you to figure out how to print and apply to cardboard. The manual is pretty easy, just print it double sided, (as in back to back) and staple the pages together.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?xp1gmkqa7rj6b89

I've added this post to the official Halo 2600 threads just in case some new members who only check the front page might miss it. For everyone else I hope this helps and feel free to use it as a template for other game boxes. I still have my original Photoshop files so if you really want to get your hands dirty just email me and I'll send it to you.

Look below for samples.

Oh and this is my video review about the game:

HaloboxPic.jpg

Edited by kain_kusanagi
  • Like 6

Love the box, the manual is awesome, loved the video review. Especially the video review. Great stuff.

Requesting a brief tutorial for printing this stuff at the right size and resolution, plus assembly tips.

edit: you should do a silver box style manual cover.

Thanks, glad you liked the video.

The resolution is 300 dpi, but that doesn't matter. The images in the zip file are full size. You don't have to do anything accept print them. If all you have is a regular inkjet you might have to cut the image into separate front and back images before printing. However the best thing to do is copy the one you want to print onto a usb drive and take it into a copy shop and have them print it on a 11x17 paper.

As for a silver manual I'll look into it. The reason it's black is I used a Defender manual as a reference and I figured it would match with the art. I'm not sure if I have any 2600 silver manuals, but I have a 7800 silver manual, but I doubt they are the same. If you have a link to front and back of of a 2600 silver manual I can use as reference as see if it's possible combine with the art.

Edited by kain_kusanagi
  • Like 1

The resolution is 300 dpi, but that doesn't matter. The images in the zip file are full size. You don't have to do anything accept print them. If all you have is a regular inkjet you might have to cut the image into separate front and back images before printing. However the best thing to do is copy the one you want to print onto a usb drive and take it into a copy shop and have them print it on a 11x17 paper.

Sweet! I'm headed to Kinko's first thing tomorrow.

As for a silver manual I'll look into it. The reason it's black is I used a Defender manual as a reference and I figured it would match with the art. I'm not sure if I have any 2600 silver manuals, but I have a 7800 silver manual, but I doubt they are the same. If you have a link to front and back of of a 2600 silver manual I can use as reference as see if it's possible combine with the art.

That's completely awesome. I just picked up Albert's Halo 2600 box and its amazing. I was only bummed it didn't come with an instruction booklet. Now I'll finally have one that matches the box.

I'm also going to print up your silver box to go along with my silver label cartridge. The manual would complete the set. :D

atari-2600-robotron-2084-manual.jpg

Sweet! I'm head to Kinko's first thing tomorrow.

That's completely awesome. I just picked up Albert's Halo 2600 box and its amazing. I was only bummed it didn't come with an instruction booklet. Now I'll finally have one that matches the box.

I'm also going to print up your silver box to go along with my silver label cartridge. The manual would complete the set. :D

atari-2600-robotron-2084-manual.jpg

"Albert's Halo 2600 box" There's a box for Halo 2600? I had no idea. Do you have a link?

As for the manual, what's on the back? I need to know what both the front and back look like so I can emulate it. I'll be keeping the original dimensions and the inside and edit the cover into a silver style.

:ponder:

He joined last year......and has 28 posts! ;)

Lol, yeah I joined last year to ask a technical question I had about a busted piece of Atari tech. I never got any reply so I gave up. When Halo 2600 came out I logged back in and I think I'll probably become somewhat of a regular.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I prepared a Photoshop template. You'll need the Atari Fonts available on AtariAge or you'll have to replace the text with other fonts.

Template: http://www.mediafire.com/?g6cdd19lqo55ie6

Fonts: http://www.atariage.com/2600/archives/AtariFonts/index.html?SystemID=2600

Edited by kain_kusanagi
  • Like 1

:ponder:

He joined last year......and has 28 posts! ;)

That wasn't really my point, it was for the fact that the guy is shitting on Marc's Halo box sale. :roll:

I had no idea there was an official box. I was only posting in the Halo 2600 thread on the front page and I didn't enter the 2600 forum until I posted this thread. My intent was never to "shit" on anyone's box. I started work on these for two reasons. I wanted a box and manual, but my Halo 2600 cart didn't come with them and I thought others would want the same. I started work on my boxes and manual weeks ago and didn't post them here until after I had printed folded and tested them all. I literally took a picture of it folded while the glue was still wet and posted this thread unaware there was an official box.

Now that I'm aware of the official box I don't think this effects sales of it because those who want an official box will still only have one choice. My boxes don't look anything like the official one and have to be printed, cut, and glued and in the end they'll never look as professional as the official box.

I could understand your concern if I had copied the box and posted instructions on how to rip it off, but I created mine from scratch without the knowledge that Albert was planing to release a box of his own. Had I known a box was being planed I probably wouldn't have bothered to do all the work to make my own. Again I want to stress that I posted this for the community to enjoy because to my knowledge there wasn't ever going to be a box for Halo 2600.

I'm sorry if this still pisses you off, but I assure you I had no intention to "shit" on anything. I was just excited about Halo 2600 and wanted to contribute.

• Like 5

"Albert's Halo 2600 box" There's a box for Halo 2600? I had no idea. Do you have a link?

You posted your boxes in three different threads in this forum and somehow didn't manage to see the Halo 2600 Boxes Available post? That seems... peculiar.

--Will

I stumbled on it last night. Thanks for the link anyway. The reason I didn't notice Al's box thread is I was mainly posting online in the Atari 2600 announcement thread posted on the front page. Until last night when I posted this thread the only other thread I posted in was the Halo 2600 order thread linked from the 7th page of the Halo 2600 front page story. I wasn't active here until 2600 was released and I just wasn't lurking in the full forum yet. I started work on these boxes a couple weeks ago and this thread was my first post outside of the Halo 2600 article's forum thread linked on the front page.

It's all good. Collectors and paper Crafters alike will have fun; if you have printer with ink, left over paper but are broke you can make your own. I can definitely empathize.

On the other hand, if you are hard core about collecting you can get the Official box from the Atariage store, and that will also help the hobby out as a whole.

Of course if you make your own you will be inclined to take pics and brag overall about what you made and praise kain for the template.

There are good points to both boxes, DIY and Turnkey, both. Heck they both make the game look better and a boxed cart looks great on the shelf, regardless of the box.

KUDOS to both kain_kusanagi and Albert for helping us both enjoy Vintage Gaming a bit more!!!

Nathan

• Like 2

It's all good. Collectors and paper Crafters alike will have fun; if you have printer with ink, left over paper but are broke you can make your own. I can definitely empathize.

On the other hand, if you are hard core about collecting you can get the Official box from the Atariage store, and that will also help the hobby out as a whole.

Of course if you make your own you will be inclined to take pics and brag overall about what you made and praise kain for the template.

There are good points to both boxes, DIY and Turnkey, both. Heck they both make the game look better and a boxed cart looks great on the shelf, regardless of the box.

KUDOS to both kain_kusanagi and Albert for helping us both enjoy Vintage Gaming a bit more!!!

Nathan

Thanks for taking the time to write such a supportive message. As a Do-It-Yourselfer you know we can't help but do it ourselves when we get an idea and see a solution.

I'm not angry with anyone who feels I'm stealing Al's thunder. Hopefully they'll feel differently after learning I started this project long before Al made his available. I just wish people wouldn't jump to negative conclusions. I've apologized to Al and if he thinks this thread needs to be deleted I'll understand.

Nathan

OK, now I know what nathanallan does for a living - he works for the foreign service! :)

El Paso is just your hometown, right nathan? You're really working in New York, right? Or do you have a diplomatic posting somewhere out in the world? :D