IGNORED

TI99 Infocom Games

Tempest

I didn't ever play Infocom games on my 99/4A, but that does not mean there weren't any. Scott Adam's Adventures and ToD were the main ones we had. Maybe after the 99/4A was discontinued there may have been a few Infocom games ported? I'll have to Google though, and I'm sure I don't know which engine version was used.

Matthew

http://www.atariage....ost__p__2037190

Here ya go

Looks like here's a partial list:

Ballyhoo

Cutthroats

Deadline

Enchanter

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Hollywood

Infidel

Lurking Horror

Planetfall

Plundered Hearts

Seastalker

Sorcerer

Spellbreaker

Starcross

Stationfall

SuspectWitness

Zork I,II,III

Edited by Opry99er
  • Like 1

Yes, Leather Goddesses of Phobos and Moonmist require a Supercart.

Ok I know you answered this before, but indulge me. What is a Supercart again? What games require one?

Tempest

A Supercart is, basically, an E/A cartridge with an 8K RAM chip in it. Usually with a battery to preserve the RAM contents, although it's not strictly necessary. The main value of it is to give the TI a little boost of memory.

The more advanced carts, like the Superspace II, actually had multiple 8K pages, which you could switch between. The TI Extended BASIC cartridge has two 8k pages, but it's possible to have more.

Adamantyr

It's essentially an Editor Assembler module with 8k of battery backed RAM. You can make one or pick up a used one, but they're rare, to say the least. Not many games require this--- though it gives you a TON of RAM to work with. :)

I suppose if not many games need it then I won't bother tracking one down. Although I still wouldn't mind having one. Maybe I can get someone on AA to modify one of my EA carts?

Tempest

So, any games that use the Supercart would be disk based, correct? Just making sure since I have never seen / used a Supercart, let alone a game that required one.

Matthew

Yeah it would have to be a disk. So it is only the two Infocom games then?

Tempest

I can't speak to which games required a Supercart, but I believe those later games were not full-on Infocom releases with boxes and packaging. After someone figured out how to port them, I believe Infocom gave Asgard Software the right to 'reprint' the games, with photocopied manuals, etc, and sell them for the TI 99/4A.

As for "official" Infocom releases, I think the company kept putting out TI versions of software into 1985 or so. The ones I have complete packaging for are:

Zork I

Zork III

Sorcerer

Starcross

Hitchhiker's Guide

Cutthroats

Deadline

I thought I had Witness around here somewhere, too, but maybe I don't (I gotta get more organized).

BTW, if anyone has Zork II, or another officially-released, complete TI Infocom game not on my list, I'd like to buy or trade to get it. Contact me privately if you have one to offer.

K

I hear you. I have unopened adventure-type games (for a Windows PC) sitting on my shelf that I bought in 2002. These are *still* in the shrink wrap. I have actually never played the original Zork series, and I keep telling myself I'll do that one day too, but these days I'd rather be working on a hardware project or writing a tool. Maybe I can get my kids interested and I can play through them.

Matthew

I can't speak to which games required a Supercart, but I believe those later games were not full-on Infocom releases with boxes and packaging. After someone figured out how to port them, I believe Infocom gave Asgard Software the right to 'reprint' the games, with photocopied manuals, etc, and sell them for the TI 99/4A.

As for "official" Infocom releases, I think the company kept putting out TI versions of software into 1985 or so. The ones I have complete packaging for are:

Zork I

Zork III

Sorcerer

Starcross

Hitchhiker's Guide

Cutthroats

Deadline

I thought I had Witness around here somewhere, too, but maybe I don't (I gotta get more organized).

BTW, if anyone has Zork II, or another officially-released, complete TI Infocom game not on my list, I'd like to buy or trade to get it. Contact me privately if you have one to offer.

K

I swear I've seen Enchanter in official packaging before. It would make sense given that they also released Sorcerer.

Tempest

I have it boxed. Here are my boxed Infocom TI games:

Deadline

Planetfall

Starcross

The Witness

Zork I

I enjoy Infocom's TI interpreter implementation as well.

What is the TI Professional? I've never heard of it.

Tempest

It was just TI's semi-compatible IBM clone. It had nice features and they made a transportable version as well, but it really never took off for obvious reasons (not being fully IBM PC compatible hurt that and many other systems once that became important, and there was no longer great incentive for software makers to make platform-specific versions of their software).

I LOVE that Infocom supported so many obscure platforms. It was cheap and easy for them since they just write the interpreter once and then all their games can run, and they can share the same packaging, just requiring a new sticker. I was taken aback a second when I didn't see any Adam releases on that list until I realized that those were only amateur 40-column CP/M conversions and not official.