IGNORED

TI99 Infocom Games

Tempest

Could they work with the F18a?

The F18A is limited to 16K (unlike the V9938/58). The interpreter uses all available memory, including 2K the F18A does not have available. Some time ago I disassembled and patched an F18A version that would start up ok, but eventually it would corrupt itself due to memory overlaps. With original source code it might be possible to solve the memory constraint, otherwise it is probably too time-consuming a task to undertake, and more difficult than solving some of the games themselves ;)

• Like 1

No modern reproductions? Bummer?

Actually I was always hoping someone would do a Geneve reproduction but that may not be possible.

So there is an option for 80 column, it's a more modern modification for the TI-99/4A and allows VGA monitor to be hooked up. It's called the F18A.

There is also a Geneve II in the works (yes you read correctly). PCB has been tooled and the developer is working on it little by little. I have a article in one of my past newsletters on my site about it.

Geneve's pop up from time to time but they can get expensive depending on what has been done to them as well as who the previous owner was.

Yes, well (even having the funds) at the rate that current owners (or new collectors/prospectors) continue to pick them up, I'll have to live at least 50 more years to get one...

Yes, well (even having the funds) at the rate that current owners (or new collectors/prospectors) continue to pick them up, I'll have to live at least 50 more years to get one...

Yes, I agree. I kick myself every time I think of when I sold my Geneve. So until I come across another one to purchase I have been using MESS and run the Geneve Emulation. It's how I run my BBS and it works pretty damn well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOS_Technology_8563for the C128.

I, too, had Lurking Horror back when I was younger. I had no supercart...just a basic console with PEB and TI cards.

Aha! Thank you Sir! I knew I wasn't imagining things. So It's a case of tracking down this other version then.

I found two copies of "Lurking Horror," and the contents appear to be identical. They both have the "Lost Treasures" banner and include both 40 and 80 column versions. However, unless I've somehow turned a Supercart on in MAME (and I've never seen the option for it), the games seem to play without needing it.

I have played Lurking Horror on a TI without a supercart before.

Leather Goddesses is the rarest of all of the Infocom titles as an Asgard release, based on the original terms of their license to make them. Infocom required them to use original packaging and disks for other systems. Asgard reformatted the disks to put the TI version on them and put a label on the packaging indicating it was for the TI-99/4A. They also provided Asgard a relatively large stock of surplus software from their warehouse to use as the "donor" software packages. There were exactly three copies of Leather Goddesses in the box--one went to Jim Horn, one went to Chris Bobbitt, and one went to me. The only way any additional copies would have been made is if he later found some additional overstock from other sources than Infocom at a price that made it worth his while (not likely, as that one was a very popular title that basically leaped off the shelves).

I have seen later packages purporting to be Asgard Infocom releases that didn't use the original packaging/materials/disks, but that would have been during the time Harry Brashear had the helm, and they were made completely outside the bounds of the original license. I don't know if he had permission to do that. . .

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
4 hours ago, DuaneAL said:

Is it possible to play Leather Goddesses from a nanoPEB and a Finalgrom?  I was hoping the Finalgrom would take the place of the supercart.

yes it can be a supercart.. reasonably sure there's a supercart image in the finalgrom cart file on whtech if not it's documented in the github page

• Like 1