Tempest

TI99 Infocom Games

Funnily, during the last weeks with Corona restrictions, I've been playing Zork 1 and currently Zork 2 with a friend of mine via Zoom meeting and screen sharing. 🙂

• Like 6

This looks like a good thread to mention the fairly recent release of Infocom sourcecode, for all you adventurers with a PDP-10 and into MUDL.... we don't have the Infocom Z compiler but the MUDL code is fun to read anyway- you can see and appreciate the original humour.  Read the ZIL files , and the text files etc.  ZIP files are compiled code.

First of course:
https://github.com/MITDDC/zork
has the original 1977 code.

Encrypted files act2z.27 and dungz.56 are present as are the decrypted versions.

[A large insect blocks the exit.  A voice is heard "That isn't a bug it is a feature..."]
-------
And then moving on to the true Z machine codings for homecomputers, at:
https://github.com/historicalsource/

there is the code for Zork 1,  Deadline, Hitch Hikers Guide, Planetfall, Starcross and suspended.

The ZIL files are the ones to read.  The ZIP files are NOT archived, they are the output of the lost compiler and were produced with the ZIL files as input.

The file dungeon.zil seems to be the main file to read for most.  You may also find manuals, introductions, invisiclue contents...  plenty to explore!

There is said to be a community compiler ZILF which more or less works.

enjoy.     s

• Like 4

Necroposting on purpose to keep information in a single thread.

A few questions, if I may:

- For anyone with an original (read: Infocom boxed-and-labeled) release of The Witness, could you kindly advise on the release and serial number displayed at game start?

- Does anyone know the exact date that Asgard signed the agreement to take over TI-99 sales from Infocom?

- Did Infocom (not Asgard) actually release a demo disk (or cassette) for the TI-99?  If so, what was it called and what was on it?

• Like 1

Not sure on the exact date, but I was one of the first folks to get the software from Asgard during a visit to Chris Bobbitt's house in the summer of 1990. I actually helped prepare the disks/package labeling to modify the packages received from Infocom to the TI format. The agreement was that Asgard could only sell the software in an original package, but was free to change the disk contents to the TI version of the adventure. Asgard received several large boxes of software from Infocom as part of the deal--with the note that these packages were the entire remaining Infocom stock of the titles Asgard wanted to distribute. The rarest title in the boxes was Leather Goddesses of Phobos, as we only found six copies of it. Asgard was permitted to buy surplus copies from other Infocom retailers and relabel them as well, although I don't know if that option was exercised.

I was an Asgard dealer back then, so I saw a lot of stuff long before it reached the general distribution stage. The earliest printed notification of distribution I've seen was in my copy of Reflections V2 N4, postmarked 13 Nov 1991.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Ksarul said:

Not sure on the exact date, but I was one of the first folks to get the software from Asgard during a visit to Chris Bobbitt's house in the summer of 1990. I actually helped prepare the disks/package labeling to modify the packages received from Infocom to the TI format. The agreement was that Asgard could only sell the software in an original package, but was free to change the disk contents to the TI version of the adventure. Asgard received several large boxes of software from Infocom as part of the deal--with the note that these packages were the entire remaining Infocom stock of the titles Asgard wanted to distribute. The rarest title in the boxes was Leather Goddesses of Phobos, as we only found six copies of it. Asgard was permitted to buy surplus copies from other Infocom retailers and relabel them as well, although I don't know if that option was exercised.

I was an Asgard dealer back then, so I saw a lot of stuff long before it reached the general distribution stage. The earliest printed notification of distribution I've seen was in my copy of Reflections V2 N4, postmarked 13 Nov 1991.

Thank you for this - this was very helpful (and actually quite a lot later than I expected, though I was blissfully unaware of any of this history contemporaneously).

For those interested in Infocom / Interactive Fiction , check out the release of Hibernated-1 (Director's cut). 

The TI disk image download will be updated to include the F18A version of the interpreter in the (very) near future. 

• Like 4

On 6/12/2021 at 1:06 PM, InsaneMultitasker said:

The TI disk image download will be updated to include the F18A version of the interpreter in the (very) near future. 

fyi, the image was updated a few days ago.  The scratchpad loader replaces the older option 5 loader.

• Like 1