IGNORED

TI99 Infocom Games

Tempest

This looks like a good thread to mention the fairly recent release of Infocom sourcecode, for all you adventurers with a PDP-10 and into MUDL.... we don't have the Infocom Z compiler but the MUDL code is fun to read anyway- you can see and appreciate the original humour.  Read the ZIL files , and the text files etc.  ZIP files are compiled code.

First of course:
https://github.com/MITDDC/zork
has the original 1977 code.

Encrypted files act2z.27 and dungz.56 are present as are the decrypted versions.

[A large insect blocks the exit.  A voice is heard "That isn't a bug it is a feature..."]
-------
And then moving on to the true Z machine codings for homecomputers, at:
https://github.com/historicalsource/

there is the code for Zork 1,  Deadline, Hitch Hikers Guide, Planetfall, Starcross and suspended.

The ZIL files are the ones to read.  The ZIP files are NOT archived, they are the output of the lost compiler and were produced with the ZIL files as input.

The file dungeon.zil seems to be the main file to read for most.  You may also find manuals, introductions, invisiclue contents...  plenty to explore!

There is said to be a community compiler ZILF which more or less works.

enjoy.     s

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Necroposting on purpose to keep information in a single thread.

A few questions, if I may:

- For anyone with an original (read: Infocom boxed-and-labeled) release of The Witness, could you kindly advise on the release and serial number displayed at game start?

- Does anyone know the exact date that Asgard signed the agreement to take over TI-99 sales from Infocom?

- Did Infocom (not Asgard) actually release a demo disk (or cassette) for the TI-99?  If so, what was it called and what was on it?

• Like 1

Not sure on the exact date, but I was one of the first folks to get the software from Asgard during a visit to Chris Bobbitt's house in the summer of 1990. I actually helped prepare the disks/package labeling to modify the packages received from Infocom to the TI format. The agreement was that Asgard could only sell the software in an original package, but was free to change the disk contents to the TI version of the adventure. Asgard received several large boxes of software from Infocom as part of the deal--with the note that these packages were the entire remaining Infocom stock of the titles Asgard wanted to distribute. The rarest title in the boxes was Leather Goddesses of Phobos, as we only found six copies of it. Asgard was permitted to buy surplus copies from other Infocom retailers and relabel them as well, although I don't know if that option was exercised.

I was an Asgard dealer back then, so I saw a lot of stuff long before it reached the general distribution stage. The earliest printed notification of distribution I've seen was in my copy of Reflections V2 N4, postmarked 13 Nov 1991.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Ksarul said:

Not sure on the exact date, but I was one of the first folks to get the software from Asgard during a visit to Chris Bobbitt's house in the summer of 1990. I actually helped prepare the disks/package labeling to modify the packages received from Infocom to the TI format. The agreement was that Asgard could only sell the software in an original package, but was free to change the disk contents to the TI version of the adventure. Asgard received several large boxes of software from Infocom as part of the deal--with the note that these packages were the entire remaining Infocom stock of the titles Asgard wanted to distribute. The rarest title in the boxes was Leather Goddesses of Phobos, as we only found six copies of it. Asgard was permitted to buy surplus copies from other Infocom retailers and relabel them as well, although I don't know if that option was exercised.

I was an Asgard dealer back then, so I saw a lot of stuff long before it reached the general distribution stage. The earliest printed notification of distribution I've seen was in my copy of Reflections V2 N4, postmarked 13 Nov 1991.

Thank you for this - this was very helpful (and actually quite a lot later than I expected, though I was blissfully unaware of any of this history contemporaneously).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 13/6/2021 at 21:50, InsaneMultitasker said:

E per coloro che amano le versioni in scatola, questo contiene alcuni dettagli davvero interessanti...

image.thumb.png.5e9bb07119e5eb91daeb86eaddd7c5f6.png

https://www.polyplay.xyz/Hibernated-1-Directors-Cut-TI-99-4A_1

https://www.ebay.it/itm/185286937489?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=6aoqLe6IRCu&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=dAl035cGRym&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=WHATS_APP

also present on ebay.

Wishbringer had two ZIL-Z3 releases: R68-850501 and R69-850920.  Not sure what version was released by Asgard.

The second release needed the extra memory of the 8K Super Cart Interpreter.

Both are below with the Master's Interpreter (Regular and SuperCart).

WISHBRINGER_68-850501.DSK WISHBRINGER_69-850920_SC.DSK

"The Lurking Horror" only had the Asgard re-boxed version.  And the "The Lost Treasures of Infocom" converted port done by myself.

A search on the forum should bring up the updated conversions and alternative color fix.

Infocom Releases

Zork I
Zork II
Deadline

Zork III
Starcross
Suspended
Witness
Planetfall
Enchanter
Infidel
Sorcerer
Seastalker  -TI-99/4A unreleased-
Cutthroats

Sampler
Hitchhiker's Guide to the GAlaxy

Asgard Releases

Seastalker
Suspect

Wishbringer
Spellbreaker
Ballyhoo
Leather Goddesses of Phobos
Moonmist
Hollywood Hijinx

Stationfall
Lurking Horror
Plundered Hearts

• Like 1

To answer me own question, about playing "The Lurking Horror".

I went to www.ftp.whtech.com

Grabbed this file:

./emulators/pc99/pc99 dsk collection/Collections/Mickey/AdventureGames/EditorAssemblers/InfocomInc/LurkingHorror/MC56.ZIP

It contains a .dsk in pc99 format.

Just drop that into a directory and point Classic99 to it as a disk image.  Set cartridge to EA5 - the program file is util1, so just hit enter at the EA5 prompt and it will autoload.

Looks like the original came with two manuals - a technical manual explain how to run an infocom game, available at many sites as a PDF, one attached here and a 'feels' manual, couldn't find a pdf of that, but found it on this website:

https://gallery.guetech.org/lurking/lurking.html

lurkinghorror-manual.pdf

• Like 2

Is that the version with the Infocom Rapid Loader 2.0, and the release number is labeled "gone!"? (4 files GAME1/GAME2/UTIL1/UTIL2)

A more virgin version would be my port from the original Z3-ZIL dat file along with the updated "The Master's Interpreter".

As there wasn't an official release from Infocom.  Original packaging from another system can be pricy now.

Scoured through the "Mickey/AdventureGames" years ago and snagged all the Infocom games located there.

Most of them had blown headers in the GAME1 file with the release numbers messed up.

Had to use a hex editor with a file comparison to the split PC Z3-DAT's (originals) to figure out which release version(s) they were.

Did all the Asgard releases use Ray Kazmar's "Infocom Rapid Loader 2.0"??

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Torrax said:

Is that the version with the Infocom Rapid Loader 2.0, and the release number is labeled "gone!"? (4 files GAME1/GAME2/UTIL1/UTIL2)

A more virgin version would be my port from the original Z3-ZIL dat file along with the updated "The Master's Interpreter".

As there wasn't an official release from Infocom.  Original packaging from another system can be pricy now.

Scoured through the "Mickey/AdventureGames" years ago and snagged all the Infocom games located there.

Most of them had blown headers in the GAME1 file with the release numbers messed up.

Had to use a hex editor with a file comparison to the split PC Z3-DAT's (originals) to figure out which release version(s) they were.

Did all the Asgard releases use Ray Kazmar's "Infocom Rapid Loader 2.0"??

All of the Asgard releases were based on "The Master's" ports, so that is likely. The Master does show up here now and again, so he might be able to shed some light on the matter.

Something to note on all of the Asgard releases. There are not a lot of any of these titles as true Asgard releases, as the agreement with Infocom said they had to use original packaging/disks from releases for other systems. Asgard received two large boxes of the titles from Infocom to make these packaging conversions. They literally cleared out the last of them that Infocom had in their warehouse to get those two boxes too, so the only way to get more was to find them on the secondary surplus market, assuming they wanted to make more. That wasn't the plan though, as they intended to sell what they had and be done with it (as noted in the newsletter that announced them in the first place). I helped Chris Bobbitt relabel a bunch of them in his basement during a visit to DC BITD and bought a complete set of them. The hardest one to get will be Leather Goddesses of Phobos, as there were four of them in the box. One went to Jim Horn, one went to Chris, one went to me, and the other one was sold to a lucky customer.

• Like 2