IGNORED

Pre-Order Page is now up for 7800 Expansion Module

Curt Vendel

Certainly sounds like an A-Maze-ing? early line-up of treats, especially if the game Pacmanplus is working on, is the one I think it is (I know, it's a stretch, but picture it, along with Groovies work and Pac 'man, well, you see.. we're getting the gamut of perspectives). - I didn't know he was so far along with it though. Wouldn't blame him if he kept mum on it, though, for awhile. Stout heart and good man for delving back in!:D

Well, right off the bat you will activate the high score keeping features on all of the games that have it coded into it and growing...

Already Pac Man Pokey Enhanced will be ready to use it, and a little birdie has shown me a Pokey Enhanced version of Donkey Kong too, so there will be several releases right out of the gate to use with it, Groovy is already working on a Gauntlet/Dark Chambers like game with a lot more features and sound effects and several other games are in the early stages, plus a game which Pacmanplus was working on but had to put on hold due to memory constraints and sound/voice can now be done, so its safe to say the XM will have lots of company fairly quickly.

Curt

Dammit, I'm gonna have to buy this thing. Gotta go see if I can find 100 bucks worth of stuff to put on eBay. :)

Project Update:

Okay, just wrapped up with the nameplate company, took a lot of work, but the nameplate will in fact be the same brushed aluminum design as on the original 7800's

It will have the raised Diamond cut appearance and will say:

7800 EXPANSION MODULE

Underneath it will have screened onto it, the red through purple Atari-styled rainbow line across.

The company I found is here in the United States and they are so excited about doing this project, they've worked really hard for me to do this as high in quality a professional, original Atari-style look as possible and keeping the costs down so that I can keep the cost within the BOM specifications for the project. Its unbelievable tough to have stuff like this done with a 500pc quantity, sure it was easy for Atari back in the day when they were running off 1mill pieces, but quantities this low, there are tooling and setup costs and the per piece price, so keeping things within the budget it not easy, but I really want everyone to have a jaw-dropping experience when they first open up the box and see the module for the first time.

So things are moving forward on Monday and I should have the first run of samples in 2 weeks or so.

Meanwhile the tooling for the plastics is coming along, its only been 2 weeks or so and we've got another 35 days to go, but I'm told the tooling cavities are progressing...

Curt

• Like 6

Just OOI has the XM jobbie replaced CV's previous 7800 project, namely the 7800 computer addon or had it been incorporated into the XM jobbie (since I haven't heard anything of the 7800 computer addon for ages)

I don't know the definitive answer but there has been multiple mentions of keyboard addons, even 7800 Basic from OSS so I assume thiis unit is the computer addon or at least the start of it. Either way I am looking forrward to receving mine!

Quick question, i wont be able to put my order down till the end of the month, will orders for the unit still be available until then? Fantastic work by the way, really excited for this!

I'm pretty confident in saying that Curt wants to make sure that everybody who wants one can get one.

Since it has direct pass-through for playing 2600 and 7800 titles have you guys made the cart slot bigger so that it plays weirdly shaped 2600 carts like Imagic games more easily than the vanilla 7800 slot?

It's based around the tooling of 2600 cart guide (though the pin-out is 7800-based) and there's plenty of breathing room around the connector slot, so besides playing all of the 7800 library, it should play all of the 2600 library, including all of the finicky Activision and Imagic titles without problem - no modding of the 7800 necessary. An extra bonus feature that doesn't get mentioned enough.;)

Edited by AtariNerd

Started it at 300, revised it down to 250 so I could hold 50 for the 50% down, so I adjusted the quantities this weekend. That is why the huge drop...

So already 130+ units sold in this pre-order run , just three weeks in, mind , and this early in the modules development? I think that's not something to be abashed of, but something to crow about! That's a very supportable community size and we're not done, yet! Just wait until the games we know are being worked on show their bright faces! ;) Regardless of what happens from now on, it's going forward, we've done it! Time to cast aside all doubts and jump aboard everyone! The more, the merrier!:D

Edited by AtariNerd

I'm going to over build on the plastics and PC Boards, this way, I'll have some in storage in case demand keeps going - which I would be very happy if it does. Right now, my immediate target is the first 150 units for the pre-order, then I'm feeling confident that another 100 would sell once people see and hear about others receiving their units, and I'll have enough to make up to 500 units in total so that should be enough for keeping them going for quite a lot time, I think the top out will be around 300 units, with trickle sales into the 400 units area, so 500 pcs will cover it and if they don't sell, maybe I can use them for other 7800 based products down the road or perhaps just high score only units, we'll see... but I'm going to make sure there are more then enough for everyone as I do not want to see any on Ebay selling for ridiculous prices. If I hear about one on ebay trying to be gouged, I will put together a few units and sell them at the standard retail price. I don't want people not to be able to get one.

Curt

Quick question, i wont be able to put my order down till the end of the month, will orders for the unit still be available until then? Fantastic work by the way, really excited for this!

• Like 1