IGNORED

Looking for Intellivision ROM/Emu website

JacobZu7zu7

Hey all,

I'm looking for help on downloading an Intellivision emulator, to play some rare games,

or ones I don't own. Anyone know of a good emulator that may be easy to figure out and plays well?

So far, I downloaded something called a Intelliware - IWplayer. I cannot get the roms to work

on that and am not sure this is even what I should be playing the games on??

Some roms read, some don't... and they all fail to start the game... sometimes the rom reads as "unknown", I did re-name the files as 'rom' and not 'rar'. but no luck yet.

Anything I need to know? Any help would be great. :)

I can't find any information about an emulator called Intelliware. IMO, you should be wary of anything that is modifying your IWplayer.exe system file :ponder:

IMO a good Inty emulator is Nostagia. Grab it from Zophar's Domain.

EDIT: I found Intelliware...which was based off jzIntv. Looks like it hasn't been updated in a while.

Edited by Nukey Shay

I can't find any information about an emulator called Intelliware. IMO, you should be wary of anything that is modifying your IWplayer.exe system file :ponder:

EDIT: I found Intelliware...which was based off jzIntv. Looks like it hasn't been updated in a while.

Hey thanks. I think jzIntv, was last updated in 2007 probably, and by the read me, notes the

person doesn't sound welcoming... and makes me wanna choose somethin' else.

Still checking around the Zophars Domain for Intellivision... might need help finding

it. :ponder: I'll post back if I get it all together.

FOUND IT, it was under Mattel, near Odyssey2. :thumbsup:

Edited by JacobZu7zu7

last week i ran into an intellivision emulator by accident by searching for Intellivision stuff on one of those Rapidshare type sites...i thought i knew of every Intellivision emulator until this one

it's called "INTion"..not much info turns up on the emu in google...i'm wondering if it could be an Intellivision Lives hack or something...anyways it works pretty good

Hey thanks. I think jzIntv, was last updated in 2007 probably, and by the read me, notes the

Still checking around the Zophars Domain for Intellivision... might need help finding

Howdy! Joe Z here, author of jzIntv. I consider myself quite welcoming. I'm not sure how you got the impression I was unwelcoming. Could I use a breath mint? :D I just won't give out ROMs that I don't have the right to distribute, because I don't like to get sued. :)

jzIntv is command-line oriented, though, so if you're not comfortable with the command line, then yes, you might appreciate other emulators more. If you take a peek in the programmer's forum, though, I'm rather responsive to bug reports and feature requests. Because I want to keep jzIntv portable (Windows, Mac, Linux, GP2X, Wii, PSP, PlayStation 3, Solaris, FreeBSD, Amiga, etc.) it also means I've stuck to what's common across those systems, and have ended up not adding anything resembling a GUI.

I have done some updates since 2007, but not a full release. The latest build for Windows is here.

So what's this Intelliware? I haven't heard of it. (Googles briefly...) Ah, Valter made a wrapper around jzIntv. Cool. :cool: He may have told me about it and I just forgot. The miracle of the GPL is that many of the ports and wrappers around jzIntv happen without my knowledge (PSP, Intelliware, and one of the two GP2X ports...). Arnauld Chevallier also once did a GUI wrapper around jzIntv.

Nostalgia and Bliss are also both good emulators. I believe Joe Fisher (author of Nostalgia) has gotten out of the retrogaming business by and large. Kyle Davis (author of Bliss) may also have moved on. Both emulators at least have some level of GUI around them.

As with all things retrogaming, it's a labor of love.

Edited by intvnut

Hello! Well, seem pretty friendly , I maybe I didnt get the sarcasm in the read me part -->"quick start" You'll need an EXEC image,

a GROM image, and a GAME image in order to do anything.

"Binaries

You don't have any? Go buy an Intellivision Lives! CD, you cheapskate!

Go get it at http://www.intellivisionlives.com/ , ok? Either that,

or build a ROM dumper. In any case, I'm not going to encourage ROM

piracy."

But I was wrong there, as you been helping out without any prob. Though I understand the laws, and you're looking out for No #1.

Problem is , I am not sure after downloading what I am looking at here, it's been a while since I downloaded emulators I only have 3 ever downloaded for the ATARI2600/ODYSSEY2 and C-64.

I am lost without the Intellivision man icon to lead me into the Emulator screen.

So this version here, in your link will work with Windows XP? It would be nice

if I can run an intellivision game emulator without (DIRECTX9) because loading that in didn't work! :?

Howdy!

I was traveling this last weekend, and this is my first chance to reply.

Hello! Well, seem pretty friendly , I maybe I didnt get the sarcasm in the read me part -->"quick start" You'll need an EXEC image,

a GROM image, and a GAME image in order to do anything.

"Binaries

You don't have any? Go buy an Intellivision Lives! CD, you cheapskate!

Go get it at http://www.intellivisionlives.com/ , ok? Either that,

or build a ROM dumper. In any case, I'm not going to encourage ROM

piracy."

When I wrote that 10+ years ago, it was fairly common to see such statements in emulator READMEs and websites. MAME went even further, if memory serves, forbidding you from distributing MAME and ROMs on the same physical media (ie. a CD-ROM with ROM images and a MAME.exe). Emulator authors don't like to get bugged for copies of ROMs, myself included, nor do we like to get sued. Furthermore, there is a legal source of ROMs out there. Intellivision Productions is an active, going concern, and are rather rightfully interested in protecting their IP. They aren't shy about raising the specter of lawsuits, either, unfortunately. I've never been threatened with a lawsuit from them, but at least one person I know has.

But I was wrong there, as you been helping out without any prob. Though I understand the laws, and you're looking out for No #1.

Problem is , I am not sure after downloading what I am looking at here, it's been a while since I downloaded emulators I only have 3 ever downloaded for the ATARI2600/ODYSSEY2 and C-64.

I am lost without the Intellivision man icon to lead me into the Emulator screen. So this version here, in your link will work with Windows XP? It would be nice if I can run an intellivision game emulator without (DIRECTX9) because loading that in didn't work! :?

It should work with Windows XP just fine. That's what I use when I use Windows. I'm told it also works in Vista and Windows 7, but I've never tried it. I've never used those operating systems, actually. jzIntv also worked fine in Windows 98 the last time I tried, but I won't guarantee the current build will work in 98.

Now that ive loaded jzintv.... what next?? how does one start up the emulator, where is the shortcut, or Icon ?

I'll assume for now you downloaded the latest build, jzintv-20100914-win32.zip, if memory serves. The directions below assume you've unpacked it to C:\jzintv. If you've unpacked it elsewhere, modify my directions as appopriate.

As I mentioned before, jzIntv is command-line based. Put all your ROMs in jzintv's ROM folder (ie. jzintv\rom), and then run CMD.exe. From there, change to jzIntv's directory (ie. "CD C:\jzintv\bin" if you unpacked the latest build to C:\), and then run jzIntv from there like so:

C:\jzintv\bin> jzintv astro.bin

That should get you a tiny window with Astrosmash, assuming you have a copy of Astrosmash and named it "astro.bin". Note, if that didn't work, see below on setting up your ROM path. If you want to make it bigger, jzIntv offers some flags to change the resolution. Right now, the supported resolutions are:

• -z0: 320x200
  • -z1: 640x480
  • -z2: 320x240
  • -z3: 1024x768
  • -z4: 1680x1050
  • -z5: 800x400

Yeah, I know that list is a little weird. -z2 came from the GP2X and -z5 came from my phone. :D I'm working on making the resolution a little more flexible, but I'm not there yet. Next weekend, hopefully. In the meantime, if you want to run, say, in 640x480 mode:

C:\jzintv\bin> jzintv -z1 astro.bin

There's a second flag, -x1, that tells jzIntv to start up in full-screen mode. You can combine that with the -z flags to have full-screen at whatever resolution you like. For example, this runs in 1024x768 fullscreen:

C:\jzintv\bin> jzintv -z3 -x1 astro.bin

If you want to play a game that requires voice, add "-v1" to the command line. If it requires the ECS, add "-s1".

You can make shortcuts to jzIntv's EXE file with these flags on it. Right-click on the desktop and select "New => Shortcut" and point it to "jzintv.exe" Name the shortcut whatever you like. Once it's created, right click on the shortcut and go to Properties. On the line that says "target", add whatever flags you want. For example "-z1 -x1 astro.bin"

jzIntv has a bunch of other flags. If you're adventurous, try "jzintv -?" to list the most useful. Most of the time, though, you won't need anything more than what I described above.

Now all that said, there is also GUI wrapper out there for Windows that Arnauld Chevallier wrote some time back. It hasn't been updated in awhile, but I believe it should still mostly work with jzIntv. You can find it here: http://knox.ac.free.fr/intv/jzIntvGUI/ You'll have to download both packages. I believe you can safely unpack them in jzIntv's "bin" directory. Then make a shortcut to jzIntvGUI and you're all set.

----------------

Now I mentioned the ROM path up above... I am pretty sure jzIntv tries to look in the "jzintv\rom" folder for ROMs. I've certainly tried to make it do so. But, in case it doesn't find that folder for some reason, you can set up a ROM path for jzIntv to search. Here's how:

• If you have any CMD.EXE windows open, close them.
  • Go to the Control Panel.
  • Switch to "classic" view if you aren't already.
  • Click on "System".
  • In the System control panel, click on the tab that says "Advanced".
  • Now click on "Environment Variables".
  • Near the bottom, under "System variables", click "New".
  • For "Variable name:" put JZINTV_ROM_PATH
  • For "Variable value" put C:\jzintv\rom, or whatever the path is to the folder containing your ROMs.
  • Click OK.
  • Click OK again.

That's it.

Note that the directions above assume Windows XP. I haven't used Windows Vista or Windows 7, so I haven't a clue how to translate the instructions for those OSes.

-------------------

If the above doesn't work or is too complicated, you could also just copy jzIntv.exe and SDL.dll to the folder that has all your ROMs. That should also work, even though it's ugly. Make sure "exec.bin" and "grom.bin" are in that same folder.

Edited by intvnut

• 7 months later...

Howdy! Joe Z here, author of jzIntv. I consider myself quite welcoming. I'm not sure how you got the impression I was unwelcoming. Could I use a breath mint? :D I just won't give out ROMs that I don't have the right to distribute, because I don't like to get sued. :)

jzIntv is command-line oriented, though, so if you're not comfortable with the command line, then yes, you might appreciate other emulators more. If you take a peek in the programmer's forum, though, I'm rather responsive to bug reports and feature requests. Because I want to keep jzIntv portable (Windows, Mac, Linux, GP2X, Wii, PSP, PlayStation 3, Solaris, FreeBSD, Amiga, etc.) it also means I've stuck to what's common across those systems, and have ended up not adding anything resembling a GUI.

I have done some updates since 2007, but not a full release. The latest build for Windows is here.

So what's this Intelliware? I haven't heard of it. (Googles briefly...) Ah, Valter made a wrapper around jzIntv. Cool. :cool: He may have told me about it and I just forgot. The miracle of the GPL is that many of the ports and wrappers around jzIntv happen without my knowledge (PSP, Intelliware, and one of the two GP2X ports...). Arnauld Chevallier also once did a GUI wrapper around jzIntv.

Nostalgia and Bliss are also both good emulators. I believe Joe Fisher (author of Nostalgia) has gotten out of the retrogaming business by and large. Kyle Davis (author of Bliss) may also have moved on. Both emulators at least have some level of GUI around them.

As with all things retrogaming, it's a labor of love.

hello there

intelliware is intended as developer suite for intellivision and jzintv is used to test source code... the wrapper is iwplayer itsels as part of intelliware.

iwplayer should run anything jzintv runs.

I have a much better version of the sw never distributed since major issues and dead arrive in my family and since then I focus on personal troubles... but still follow all inty development.

take care

Valter Prette

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, turned out to be roms named with the # character in them. Just about every other one loads fine, save for Atarisoft titles and some later INTV games (Dig Dug, Pole Position to name two).

I'm also curious about how well a RetroKit adapter for a working INTV2 controller would work on the emulators.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

I'm looking for help on downloading an Intellivision emulator, to play some rare games,

or ones I don't own. Anyone know of a good emulator that may be easy to figure out and plays well?

So far, I downloaded something called a Intelliware - IWplayer. I cannot get the roms to work

Some roms read, some don't... and they all fail to start the game... sometimes the rom reads as "unknown", I did re-name the files as 'rom' and not 'rar'. but no luck yet.

intelliware is based on the jzintv, if you have the bios roms it just work properly

Hey Valter. I actually just sent you a message from your website. Hope the spam on the forums there can get cleaned up. Is there any reason why some files won't work at all? The ".int" files I have do not work, but the ones included in ".rom" extension do.

intellivisionworld forum is likely to be dropped since most of the discussion take place in atariage, well see

about your question, in fact as mentioned in the history help file, the .int files are supported since v0.1.15 and should work

Hey all,

intelliware is based on the jzintv, if you have the bios roms it just work properly

Thanks!

Yes I got it working a month ago, (the Intelliware aka jzintv) it was the bios it came with they were demos or fake ones... but roadrunner here at AtariAge sent me the proper bios and now it works great, Even games that flash or blink do so, just fine on Jzintv. :thumbsup:

Nostalgia 3.6 is very nice, but some games don't opperate properly. Bliss and Nostalgia 5.0. I hear are very good, but they crash when I try to start 'em.

I'll just stick with Jzintv. Very happy with it, used it in competition at Intellivision HSC :cool: