IGNORED

Commodore 64c

Pyromaniac605

Did you miss me? Anyway you may remember that I my C64 was broken so I've bought a new one. I got a big pack with a boxed C64c, two boxed joysticks and a bunch of boxed games.

I was wondering what are the differences between the 'Breadbox' and the C64c?

Darren

Edit: Forgot to mention the boxed datasette player.

Edited by Pyromaniac605

Glad you are back Darren, and got another 64!

I have both and like the feel of the C64C best. My very first setup was a breadbox 64, brown 1541, and an old Sharp TV set. I found my second drive, an Indus GT, wish I had one of them today.

I currently have the BB 64, C64C, 128, and 128D. I have some extra "stuff" if you are looking for any.

So the keyboard feels different? What feels different about it?

Im going to keep my breadbox because from what I remember there was talk of the PSU being the problem.

In the future sometime, years away I plan on having a little console history museum sort of thing with a bunch of consoles set up, supposing someone will play them. (Most likely me :lol: )

Darren

Edit: Has anyone bought one of those CF/IDE things off jbrain, the one that acts as a floppy drive so you can play games off of it? If so does it work well? Do the games have to be floppy games or can it ust be any .C64 rom file?

Edited by Pyromaniac605

Wow from eight to two thats pretty impressive. So other than the looks nothing I'll notice while I'm using it? And JamesD no... The Breadbox is better *Jedi mind tricks* The Breadbox is better...

Darren

You need to practice because I still think the breadbox is ugly.

Oh wait... it must of done something because now I think they are both ugly. :P

Edited by JamesD

Instead of 8 chips, the 64c's memory has been condensed into 2 chips.

Well, you can't say that with certainty. Really it's just another case around it, and there may be the newer board in it, with only 2 RAM chips, or it may still have a board with 8 RAM chips.

Good point. I've never seen a 64c with the old 8 chip setup but they're out there.

I'm personnally using a 64c with older keyboard hooked up to a 1541 II and a 1571. I prefer the lower, more angled keyboard position of the 64c.

Instead of 8 chips, the 64c's memory has been condensed into 2 chips.

Well, you can't say that with certainty. Really it's just another case around it, and there may be the newer board in it, with only 2 RAM chips, or it may still have a board with 8 RAM chips.

Good point. I've never seen a 64c with the old 8 chip setup but they're out there.

I'm personnally using a 64c with older keyboard hooked up to a 1541 II and a 1571. I prefer the lower, more angled keyboard position of the 64c.

That'll help with my programming, I always fumble with the breadbox's high keys.

Darren

Wow from eight to two thats pretty impressive. So other than the looks nothing I'll notice while I'm using it? And JamesD no... The Breadbox is better *Jedi mind tricks* The Breadbox is better...

Darren

Actually, that's the next practical step up: common RAM chip capacities go in steps of 4x, namely from 512 bytes, to 2 kB, to 8 kB, 32k, 128k, 512k, 2 MB, etc.

So they really wouldn't have been able to do anything but drop to 2 chips from 8. (namely using 2 4-bit 32kB chips vs 8 1-bit 8kB chips)

And given the prices here: http://phe.rockefeller.edu/LogletLab/DRAM/dram.htm it definitely made sense to shift to that in '86. (arguably in '85 in spite of the higher cost -due to savings on board space/cost, albeit they likely had a stockpile of the smaller capacity RAM chips to work though as well)

• 2 weeks later...

Some (but not all) C64C machines have the later 8580 SID, with different filters (and the inability to play simple digitized samples like the older 6581, without modification).

I wonder if thats my problem ? my 64c sid died last year, I replaced it and it died again around jan, then again monday it went out, If the first was the 8580 and I replaced it with 6581 would that be a possable reson why it failed 3 times since the first one failed ? ?

Edited by bandit

Some (but not all) C64C machines have the later 8580 SID, with different filters (and the inability to play simple digitized samples like the older 6581, without modification).

I wonder if thats my problem ? my 64c sid died last year, I replaced it and it died again around jan, then again monday it went out, If the first was the 8580 and I replaced it with 6581 would that be a possable reson why it failed 3 times since the first one failed ? ?

Yes, I think that's possible. The two chips aren't fully interchangeable: the 6581 uses 12V while the 8580 uses 9V... So in a C64 board which came with a 8580 you can't put a 6581 and vice versa - at least not without modifying the board.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I think that's possible. The two chips aren't fully interchangeable: the 6581 uses 12V while the 8580 uses 9V... So in a C64 board which came with a 8580 you can't put a 6581 and vice versa - at least not without modifying the board.

...and here we come to one old question to which I could never get a precise answer: are the power supply bricks of the C64 and C64c interchangeable?

Yes, the power supplies are identical.

To swap between the original 12v sound chip (SID) and the newer 9V SID only requires that you change a diode inside the unit and a couple of capacitors (if you want- it affects the filters).

Edited by R.Cade

If I'm not mistaken, the older SID is superior to the newer one. While that may seem paradox it's basically explained because of cost-cutting in the production of the newer variant.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Actually, it was because the SID was still incomplete when it was manufactured as the 6581, and the 8580 was released later on to reflect the completed specs. The filter on the 6581 is out of spec as well, which was also "corrected" for the 8580.