IGNORED

High Score Club 8.07 - Room of Doom

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

ESCAPE! Your mind throbs... trapped in the Room of Doom, with fiendish gunmen trying to annihilate you. Shots come from secret portholes that mysteriously open and close. Watch out! the gunmen have unleashed a hydra-headed monster; it relentlessly pursues you. Don't panic! Your marksmanship can stun it, but only for a moment. Should you remain in the Room of Doom too long, the monster becomes invulnerable to your bullets.

Dodge the gunmen's firepower; shoot them in return when the secret portholes open, and then escape! ... but where? The next Room of Doom awats. An even more diabolical chamber with rapid-fire gunmen and devious monsters trying to destroy you.

Can you survive through the full gauntlet of rooms and escape unscathed?

roomofdoom-attract.jpg

Game Information
  • Game Name: Room of Doom
  • Released By: CommaVid, 1982
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice - Start at Room 1
  • Right Difficulty: B / Novice - Start at Room 1
  • Game Mode: Game 1

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday September 28th at 1:00 AM (Central Time, UTC-6).

Challenges
  • Your Own Room of Doom - Post a picture of your own game room (or even just your Atari collection and setup) and you'll get 1 bonus point (please post a picture and don't just link to an imagebucket account).
    • Miss 2600
    • roadrunner
    • toymailman
    • zylon
    • Scrabbler15
    • JacobZu7zu7
    • doctorclu

Current High Scores
  1. GOOD GAME (oyamafamily) [+11]
    GOOD GAME (Deteacher) [+11]
    GOOD GAME (toymailman) [+11]
  2. 27,375 (JacobZu7zu7) [+10]
  3. 26,525 (Scrabber15) [+9]
  4. 19,875 (SeaGtGruff) [+8]
  5. 17,375 (zylon) [+7]
  6. 17,075 (keilbaca) [+6]
  7. 9325 (roadrunner) [+5]
  8. 1525 (doctorclu) [+4]

Best Tips
  • JacobZu7zu7 [+2]

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 40,200 (Robert T Mruczek)
  2. 32,725 (David B Yancey)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings
  1. toymailman [85]
  2. Scrabber15 [76]
  3. JacobZu7zu7 [64]up.gif
  4. Deteacher [55]up.gif
  5. Jifremok [54]down.gif
  6. oyamafamily [49]
  7. zylon [43]
  8. roadrunner [32]
  9. ClassicGMR [24]
  10. keilbaca [17]up.gif
  11. LarcenTyler [17]down.gif
  12. HatefulGravey [17]down.gif
  13. pis [14]down.gif
  14. Chuck D. Head [14]down.gif
  15. Miss 2600 [13]up.gif
  16. Pioneer4x4 [12]down.gif
  17. Zoyx [8]down.gif
  18. MrJimbo [8]down.gif
  19. satan165 [7]down.gif
  20. Mister VCS [5]
  21. 4Ks [4]
  22. SeaGtGruff [4]
  23. doctorclu [3]new.gif
  24. ed1475 [2]down.gif
  25. pacmanplayer [2]down.gif
  26. Austin [1]down.gif
  27. rmaerz [1]down.gif
  28. littleman jack [1]down.gif
  29. MIKE5200 [1]

Scoring Points in Room of Doom
  • Shoot a Gunman - 75 points
  • Shoot the Monster - 50 points

Hints and Tips

The Manual

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, Atarimania has a scanned copy online for your viewing pleasure. Unfortunately, the manual doesn't offer any specific hints.

keilbaca

Here's my tip: You have LOTS of time in the earlier levels. You can milk shooting the monster that chases you in the early levels until time runs to about 5 seconds left on the top. You get no bonus points for completing a level based on time, so milk that monster.

JacobZu7zu7

1. Always shoot down the floating monsters... they are worth points and also it helps get them out of your way, before they close in on you.
  2. In early rounds before (room 10) you can stay pretty close to the wall and shoot straight ahead at your targets, make sure you are lined up properly just BELOW or level to the gunmen... so that your bullets go through the opening... this will hit the gunmen and sometimes, before he can even get a shot out at you!
  3. The sparklers in the room are tricky you don't wanna hit them, so more often stand in between them and not above or below them, you can arrange your firing angles more easily this way.
  4. In later stages, (room 10 and up) the speed of the gunmen's fire goes up considerably, so a good strategy is to stay against the wall (yes you can touch the walls) and wait for a door to open, and when it does, make sure you are situated on an angle... and fire away (after) the gunmen has shot his bullet! you probably may have to adjust your position slightly.
  5. Sneak attacks near the wall, work best when the game is too fast to move from the gunmen's bullets. This starts to accor around room 10, or when you hit about 10ks, so be prepared to change techniques around that time.
    -To do these sneak attacks, you should stand on the RIGHT side of where the door is opening. If you are at the left, by the time you have the door open, you wont be able to get the range you need, so always be to the right of where the door opening, then SHOOT quickly!

--Zero

I don't have this game. Never even heard of the company before, so I looked them up. They've got games so rare they make Air Raid look like an R8!

I can't play, but I can take a photo of my Room of Doom for a point. To the right is my Pac-Man collection and to the left in the plastic containers are all my 2600 cartridges and controllers with a boxed Burning Desire/Bachelorette Party on top. In the little bookcase next to it are Pac-Man, Donkey Kong and other video game bubblegum cards (as well as some Garbage Pail Kids) in binders.

post-2105-128518951444_thumb.jpg

SPECIAL RULES FOR ROOM OF DOOM:

1) You earn a bonus life for every room completed. The maximum is 6 lives in reserve.

2) PLEASE, note that this game ends after completing ROOM 16, and the message "GOOD GAME" appears. Attention: the final score WILL NOT BE SHOWED after beating this game.

ZE_RO: Based on this Special Rules, I'm suggesting the following rule for this HSC Contest

1st place: game completed (with the message "GOOD GAME");

2nd place: game not completed with the final score of 18,975, for example;

3rd place: game not completed with the final score of 18,000, for example;

...and so fourth.

17,075. I have the picture at home, but I plan on increasing this score.

Here's my tip: You have LOTS of time in the earlier levels. You can milk shooting the monster that chases you in the early levels until time runs to about 5 seconds left on the top. You get no bonus points for completing a level based on time, so milk that monster.

ATTENTION FOR ANOTHER SPECIAL RULE FOR THIS HSC CONTEST:

DON'T position the TV TYPE switch to B&W MODE, because this setting will active the CONTINUOUS PLAY after losing all your lives on previous gameplay.

For example: if you died at Room 10, you will restart this game at Room 10 via TV TYPE switch (FIRST on COLOR position, and AFTER on B&W).

Edited by oyamafamily