IGNORED

Best and Worst Imagic games

Lord Helmet

Atlantis had startlingly nice graphics at the time, but little else; it's basically Air-Sea Battle with Missile Command deaths instead of a time limit.

I'd never thought about that...but you're right...it IS a lot like air sea battle.

Demon Attack is a great Phoenix clone, except without the mother ship. (I've always wondered if that bit's any fun on the Intellivision.)

It would be so freaking cool if some talented programmer could hack together a boss stage in Demon Attack :cool:

Atlantis had startlingly nice graphics at the time, but little else; it's basically Air-Sea Battle with Missile Command deaths instead of a time limit.

I'd never thought about that...but you're right...it IS a lot like air sea battle.

Demon Attack is a great Phoenix clone, except without the mother ship. (I've always wondered if that bit's any fun on the Intellivision.)

It would be so freaking cool if some talented programmer could hack together a boss stage in Demon Attack :cool:

Having a boss in Demon Attack sure would be awesome.

Interesting. Do you have a link to an article on that?

Offhand, I don't know if this was ever mentioned in an article or not. I got that information from an interview that Bruce Davis (who was president of Imagic from 1983 until it closed in the spring of 1985) gave to Retro Gaming Radio, in their November 2004 episode. Here is a rough transcript, starting at about 32:30:

During the time that we were trying to deal with those [business] problems, in came two opportunities to become massively successful, neither of which worked out ... Texas Instruments had the 99/4A and decided that they needed to close it down and write it off, and under the accounting rules, closing it down and writing it off meant that they couldn't continue to support it. [but,] like the great company they are, they were concerned about supporting their customers. We had an excellent relationship with them, we had built some product for them (Microsurgeon and [several] other games), and they came to us with a proposition: we want you to take over all of our 99/4A assets and provide continuing support to our customers; we'll figure out how much margin you get from that, and we'll take half and we'll give you half. And I thought, "I've been saved! Our company is going to rise again!" At the last minute, Jerry Junkins (who was the president) was convinced by some of his management that we were too unstable and too small to provide such an important function, and they gave it to somebody else. So we didn't get it.

This was said in the context of discussing the business problems Imagic had during the crash years and their efforts to transition to home computers. According to Davis, the home computer market was too small to sustain Imagic and was already divided up between several companies (mainly Broderbund, Electronic Arts, Activision, and Sierra Online), and the few opportunities they could find didn't come through for them. Incidentally, the second opportunity that Davis mentioned was a contract with IBM to develop entertainment software for the PCjr, which of course was a failed system.

Interesting. Do you know if they still sell the back issues on DVD. I know it's on their website. But, that site hasn't been updated in ages.

Hey, I was going to do the topic first :P .

Favorites:

Atlantis - Cool little shooter with nice graphics

Cosmic Ark - Expands on a not so known arcade game (The arcade game, Space Fortress, was really just the meteor screen).

Riddle of the Sphinx - While it took more time to figure out than it should have, it was worth the setup. Very deep gameplay, and almost suspenseful (Water, WATER!)

Demon Attack - I swear those aliens look real on a CRT!

Quick Step - I seriously wonder why everyone said it sucked. This is very fun with friends!

Moonsweeper - Not much to day here, but very fun.

Decent ones:

No Escape - Find it boring fast.

Solar Storm - Good in short bursts.

Dragonfire - Decent, but not my favorite.

Trick Shot - The best pool is ever going to get on the 2600.

Least Favorites:

Firefighter - Ugh.

Shooting Gallery - Would be better if it weren't for it's shallow gameplay and OBNOXIOUS MUSIC!

I just won Subterranea boxed/inst., PAL version PAL packing, for GBP 10, which is kinda cheap for that game, as it doesn't come up often on ebay.

That is an awesome price from what I've seen, just casually poking around for a copy of the game (I've since given up, as I play on a 7800 and can't stand the "CraCk!" sound when you put in Imagic carts, getting a harmony to take care of that...), and it seems to generally go for way more than that if complete.

Imagic faves:

Cosmic Ark

Demon Attack

Subterranea

Laser Gates

Dragonfire

Least favorites:

Atlantis (got old fast)

Fathom (never got the hang of it, prefer Aquaventure)

• 3 years later...

Now that I've had 3 years to think about it...

Best: Dragonfire, Demon Attack

Worst: Firefighter

I wanted Firefighter for a long time as a kid. I was so excited when I finally found it and couldn't wait to play. I really really tried to love it, or even just like it, but it isn't possible. It's extremely frustrating because it seems like the beginning of a good game that just didn't get completed!

Like others mentioned, I really enjoyed some of the Imagic games for the Intellivision. My best friend and I played a ton of Swords and Serpents (at least until we beat it).

I think a lot depends on how old we were when we first played these games. The game that gave me the most enjoyment, not to mention the biggest sense of accomplishment, is Riddle of the Sphinx. I was in fifth grade when I got it back in the early 80s, and it blew me away. This was one of the rare adventure games on the 2600 that you could actually beat, and it wasn't insanely non-intuitive and next to impossible like Raiders of the Lost Ark. The manual included riddles that were moderately challenging for a fifth grader, and I still remember the thrill I felt when I finally found that damn staff and was able to complete the game. And speaking of the manual - Imagic outdid itself there and it really adds to the overall atmosphere of the game. It is a bona fide work of art and by far my favorite manual of any 2600 game. Reading it still brings a smile to my face today. "Pharao's heir - be wise, be wily - and beware!" Priceless.

My least favorite, like that of most people here, is Firefighter. No challenge, no point. Its only redeeming quality is that a game doesn't last longer than a few seconds.

My least favorite, like that of most people here, is Firefighter. No challenge, no point. Its only redeeming quality is that a game doesn't last longer than a few seconds.

yeah you're right...

the way you worded it, sounds like a wife complaining about her Fire Fighter bein' bad in bed. lol ;)

I agree, a bad game is better if it's ''over fast'' ... :D

My favorite Imagic game is one of my life long favorites.. Dragonfire.

I love it on all the different platforms, but the VCS version is the most fun.

I really wish there had been a 5200/A8 version of the game. The Coco and Apple II got versions but not 5200/A8?

Besides Dragonfire, Demon Attack and Cosmic Ark are also life long favorites of mine.

An Imagic game I really like that is only on Intellivision is Beauty and the Beast. Great game!

• Like 2

Fav

Riddle Of the Sphinx ,Trickshot - I still say ROTS was just advanced for its time when most people were used to button mashing,so the game is missunderstood.

Worst

Demon Attack - looks cool,plays about as interesting as a party political broadcast.

The few others I played are just average.

I really liked Demon Attack, Dragonfire, Trick Shot, Cosmic Ark, and No Escape!.

and i really disliked Atlantis, Fire Fighter, Quick Step, Fathom, and Star Voyager

For some reason it's difficult for me to wrap my brain around Atlantis' controls... :? , and i just plain don't understand any of those early first person games like Star Voyager...

• Like 1

Cool.. I missed this thread back in 2010, but now it looks like I get a chance to contribute..

My favorite of their releases for the 2600 are easily:

Subterranea

Dragonfire

Demon Attack

I love Imagic, so it is hard for me to say I don't like any of their games, but the games that I'd say I like the least are:

Atlantis (probably because I suck at it so bad)

Fire Fighter

Riddle of the Sphinx (haven't played it since I was a kid.. maybe I need to revisit it)