IGNORED

The Titlescreen Kernel

RevEng

I think it might be too constraining for most game designs. The minikernels aren't really designed with much flexibility.

I think it would be possible to detect collisions with a titlescreen containing draw_player. You'd manually need to clear the collisions before drawing the titlescreen, by setting "CXCLR=1". After the titlescreen is drawn the usual collision() command should work.

NUSIZ also works with draw_player. You can either hardcode it in the player_image.asm definition file, or dim a variable called bmp_player0_nusiz or bmp_player1_nusiz and change it on the fly.

But nothing can cross vertically between the minikernels, and if you add multiple draw_player minikernels they all display the exact same thing.

More flexibility could theoretically be added, but then the titlescreen kernel will become more bloated and more complicated, which takes away from its primary purpose.

+1 creativity points, though. :)

• Like 1

I don't know if this has been addressed in the newest release (I searched throughout google but found nothing), but when using the titlescreen kernel in conjunction with the statusbar you MUST dim titlescreencolor and set it in the titlescreen loop, otherwise the statusbar will seemingly hijack it before the titlescreen can get to it. At least, is in the case of a bank switched multisprite kernel game.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Can anyone help me?, I created my title screen and everything, and I tried to include it in the code, but I only get errors all the time while trying to compile. Here I attach the files.

I just took a quick look at the code and noticed that "gosub titledrawscreen bank2" wasn't in the title screen loop. You also don't have a "bank 2". You have "bank2" instead of "bank 2".

I see that you changed both instances of "bank2" to "bank 2", but that is also incorrect. The actual bank has a space between bank and the number, but goto and gosub use no space between bank and the number. I'll make a Did You Know? box about this tomorrow.

All right now I got it to compile and I can run the game, but there is a minor problem, well first on the title screen that I have created the top title blinks and changes colors, well here when I first load the game that part of the titlescreen doesn't show up at all, while the rest of it shows well, and also when I'm in the middle of the game or when I'm already in the dead screen it doesn't allows me to reset the game and if I'm in the middle of it it shows the title screen for a fraction of a second and banishes, and on the dead screen I have no other choice but to press the fire button or reset switch, well if I do so it takes me back to the GD game again, what can I do?

titlescreen.rar

E.T's Revenge color fixed.bas

I can see a two problems already before going any deeper. You're using z when it is already used for random numbers. You're using scorefade when it clearly says in the warning that you can't use it when using pfscore bars. I'll fix those problems and see if I can find any others.

. . . and also when I'm in the middle of the game or when I'm already in the dead screen it doesn't allows me to reset the game and if I'm in the middle of it it shows the title screen for a fraction of a second and banishes, and on the dead screen I have no other choice but to press the fire button or reset switch, well if I do so it takes me back to the GD game again, what can I do?

The reason why it takes you "back to the GD game again" is because you screwed up the "GD" code. I put it back the way it was before you messed it up and now it seems to be working fine.

The bit _Bit2_Game_Over{2} is used to make the game act according to the Game Standards and Procedures. Pressing the reset switch during the game will take you back to the title screen. Pressing the reset switch or the fire button while on the GAME OVER screen will restart the game and skip the title screen. If you do nothing for 20 seconds while on the GAME OVER screen, you'll go back to the title screen. That's how it's supposed to work.

ets_revenge_color_fixed_2015y_05m_25d_0039t.bas

ets_revenge_color_fixed_2015y_05m_25d_0039t.bin

I would like to point out that the problem from the title of the game in the title screen is still there, the title still is not appearing

Did you make it using Visual batari Basic's Title Screen Kernel Editor? If so, I can't find an .xml file to load into it.