IGNORED

FOUND THESE AT GARAGE SALE....UM, RIP OFF SALE.

CARTRIDGE STEALER

I stopped by a garage sale in a rich part of long island today and asked for video games and old toys. the guy said "yea, i have old video games". I walk over to see about 20 coleco games and a coleco, as well as a boxed turbo grafix and an nes with assorted games. I saw stickers on the coleco box (not coleco box, but just a box that contained them) that read "75". I assumed it was "75 cents" so I grabbed all that I could hold then offered him $15. he was like "no, that $75 for the coleco. I originally wanted $150 but lowered is since a buy said he was coming monday for it. I got the prices from ebay." I was like WTF? I replied "GOOD LUCK BUDDY!" he wanted $95 for the turbo grafix. I snapped a picture of the coleco cartrides i wanted that i didnt have b4 i left:

cart.jpg

heres the ad, but i never saw it:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/ele/1967706246.html

Thats crap, yard sales are supposed to be where you get stuff cheap. I had the same kind of occurance TWICE. I went to a yard sale that was selling records, and they wanted $20 for a copy of The Beatles white Album, and $30 for Metallica's "Ride the Lightning". I walked out on that one because they were selling collectors prices. I also went to another one, selling SNES games, they wanted $70 for Super Mario RPG, because thats how much it went for on Ebay. I walked out, and said "If you want it to go for ebay prices, then sell it on Ebay"

Yep, this sort of thing happens, especially when you deal with "professional yard sale" types. Gamer2's parting line is exactly right. When you buy something on Ebay, you're paying extra for Ebay's cut, the right to return defective merchandise, etc. When you're buying at a yard sale, though, things should be priced to sell.

Fortunately (or unfortunately?), no one's ever used the Ebay line on me, so I've never had an excuse to give 'em hell! :)

Yep, this sort of thing happens, especially when you deal with "professional yard sale" types. Gamer2's parting line is exactly right. When you buy something on Ebay, you're paying extra for Ebay's cut, the right to return defective merchandise, etc. When you're buying at a yard sale, though, things should be priced to sell.

Fortunately (or unfortunately?), no one's ever used the Ebay line on me, so I've never had an excuse to give 'em hell! :)

Now I kind of regret not haggling him, it was the first time seeing Super Mario RPG in the wild, and I haven't seen it since.

Edited by gamer2

I stopped by a garage sale in a rich part of long island today and asked for video games and old toys. the guy said "yea, i have old video games". I walk over to see about 20 coleco games and a coleco, as well as a boxed turbo grafix and an nes with assorted games. I saw stickers on the coleco box (not coleco box, but just a box that contained them) that read "75". I assumed it was "75 cents" so I grabbed all that I could hold then offered him $15. he was like "no, that $75 for the coleco. I originally wanted $150 but lowered is since a buy said he was coming monday for it. I got the prices from ebay." I was like WTF? I replied "GOOD LUCK BUDDY!" he wanted $95 for the turbo grafix. I snapped a picture of the coleco cartrides i wanted that i didnt have b4 i left:

$75 doesn't sound too bad for 20 games and a complete ColecoVision system. You could asked to test it to make sure it worked and then offered $60 or $65. $20 for the 3 carts you have pictured would been a fair price. People realize that there is a lot of buyers that flip stuff for a profit.

cart.jpg

Dude, you were in ROSLYN, what did you expect? :D

$75 for boxed coleco and 20 games?....price does not sound that bad, unless you were getting these to flip. I would have paid it. Colecovision stuff does not turn up as much as other systems in the wild, epically working.

coleco WAS NOT boxed, neither were the games.

The last two BOXED ColecoVisions on eBay went for $150.00 and $202.75 (with 4 boxed common games). So the days of getting a boxed CV on eBay for cheap seem to be over with and therefore that garage sale system for $75 with all those games looks like a good deal now... but that is all relevant to what you are willing to pay.

Edited by NIAD

$75 for boxed coleco and 20 games?....price does not sound that bad, unless you were getting these to flip. I would have paid it. Colecovision stuff does not turn up as much as other systems in the wild, epically working.

coleco WAS NOT boxed, neither were the games.

The last two BOXED ColecoVisions on eBay went for $150.00 and $202.75 (with 4 boxed common games). So the days of getting a boxed CV on eBay for cheap seem to be over with and therefore that garage sale system for $75 with all those games looks like a good deal now... but that is all relevant to what you are willing to pay.

last summer, I paid $10 for a boxed colecovision at a garage sale, down from $12.

I would've offered him $5 each for the three good games. If he wouldn't go for that, "Good luck on Monday, then."

Can probably chalk up the harder negotiations at garage sales to the economic hard times and most people realize that there are "professionals" out there looking for certain items to flip and make money on. Everyone is trying to get the most they can for things and if they have the slightest idea about what they have, then dealing is going to be made that much harder.

Even though garage sales and eBay are two different animals, I still think that $75 for the system and 20 games wasn't a bad price after watching the bidding on eBay over the last couple months (and also having to add-on shipping charges).

You'd almost be better off served by playing dumb when you run across stuff like this and asking all kinds of ignorant questions to see if they'd drop the price and then do the old car dealer routine of walking out! :roll:

Edited by NIAD

From the description I thought he wanted $75 for just the CV...? But if it was $75 for the CV + 20 games, that's not an unreasonable price at all.

I bought my CV with 26 games for $50 from a CL deal, but it didn't have an AC adapter. After you factor in $30 to 4jays for the adapter, I have about $80 into it. You were not getting ripped at this yard sale, at least on the CV and games.

From the description I thought he wanted $75 for just the CV...? But if it was $75 for the CV + 20 games, that's not an unreasonable price at all.

I bought my CV with 26 games for $50 from a CL deal, but it didn't have an AC adapter. After you factor in $30 to 4jays for the adapter, I have about $80 into it. You were not getting ripped at this yard sale, at least on the CV and games.

I only wanted 3 of the games and I dont have time anymore to sell the rest of the stuff on ebay. :(