IGNORED

Primal Rage

t.skid

I'm waiting for the Jag Cd Player from ebay auction, so I'm start look for some cd titles... First question I have is about Primal Rage: it's a good game??

I never got into fighters myself, but this was one that interested me when it came out. It's not the best version out there but they did try to make it accurate to the arcade version. Control is hard on the Jag-Pad and there are load times that are pure agony. I think a fighter fan would be better at reviewing this title. However, on the grounds that you're interested in seeing something that shows off the JagCD addon a little, then this is better than a lot of the CD software.

I'm waiting for the Jag Cd Player from ebay auction, so I'm start look for some cd titles... First question I have is about Primal Rage: it's a good game??

I have to agree with T-bird Tony. Primal Rage is great graphically and the play is "ok", but the load times are annoying. Your best bet for CD games IMHO is World Tour Racing, Iron Soldier II and Battlemorph. If you like "sim" type games Baldies isn't too bad...not to mention the CD bypass...Black Ice White Noise will be coming out soon from Clint Thompson and you'll need this to play it.

Jason

I have to agree with T-bird Tony. Primal Rage is great graphically and the play is "ok", but the load times are annoying. Your best bet for CD games IMHO is World Tour Racing, Iron Soldier II and Battlemorph. If you like "sim" type games Baldies isn't too bad...not to mention the CD bypass...Black Ice White Noise will be coming out soon from Clint Thompson and you'll need this to play it.

Jason

I can't agree more. BattleMorph is a really premiere title for the CD addon. Iron Soldier II is also a wonderful CD game. If there had been more games like these the jag would have had a chance.

Thanks to both of you for the advices!

Right few days ago, I won an auction with some games for JagCD, and both of them are Baldies and BattleMorph :D . Other two games are Highlander and Myst (all four games for 12.50 bucks!).

About P.Rage, I was wondering about it 'cause I thought that it have good graphics, and seems a little different from other games.

Then, I need to look around also for W.T.R. and Iron soldier II.

Great news about Black Ice/White Noise! Did you try it?

Again, Jay and T-Bird, thank you!!!!

(I hope to have soon cd player and games...)

Im not good at fighting games but loved PR - It is really well done on the Jag and is the best fighter type game on the platform IMHO.  Load times are a bit slow but that gives you more time to rub in your win ;)

Which version of the game stopped and loaded the animation from the CD when the fighter made a special move? I recall someone complaining about that.

• 2 weeks later...

The 3DO version makes a half second load in order to show a death anim, which allways gets ppl acusing me of causing lag to cheat lol. I dont have a Jag version but it is the only one where the sprites are the right size relative to the playfield. Really tho you should play this game on the full size large model arcade box, its incredible hehe, wish I could a) afford and b) find one

(oh and sorry for reviving dead threads but I've been gone for ages and these are all new for me)

• 3 weeks later...
The 3DO version makes a half second load in order to show a death anim, which allways gets ppl acusing me of causing lag to cheat lol. I dont have a Jag version but it is the only one where the sprites are the right size relative to the playfield. Really tho you should play this game on the full size large model arcade box, its incredible hehe, wish I could a) afford and b) find one

(oh and sorry for reviving dead threads but I've been gone for ages and these are all new for me)

a) it seems to be a common problem :)

b) Often on ebay there is an Arcade version (don't know if "large model") - I know it, 'cause I usually browse eBay to find a Jaguar version :D

Personally I love Primal Rage, though the load times do require a little saint-like patience.  

Battlemorph is also excellent :)

Hint for PR: if both players select the same character you get twice as many frames of animation ;-)

Stone

Thanks for the tip. I didn't realize they had don that. That's pretty clever.

Maybe Im a little late in posting a reply to your thread (Hey, I just saw it)..

but i wanted to say I personally really enjoyed the Highlander game a lot.

I thought the backgrounds were stunning and thought they really did some interesting things with it. The mechanics were a bit odd but it was fun. A lot of folks (well maybe just me) were disapointed when we didn't get to see the other two games.

Brad

I'm sure Primal Rage is still pretty rare for the Jag CD?

At least it was back in 99 when I had it, they were going for like what? 60 or more?

I'll tell you now though, I would suggest you pay like $5 for the SNES version oppose to the Jag CD version. As much as I love the Jag CD, I couldn't hack Primal Rage for more then 10 minutes.

Mainly it was the loading times that kept bugging me... and then the controls seems 'slightly off' but my memory is sort of faded on that (it's been what? almost 3 years?) since I've played it.

Just a rushed product I think (at least thats the way it felt when I played it)

I could at least pull off most of the moves on the SNES version.

Brad,...

Highlander was nice.. nice attempt... the game had a good idea and graphics going for it.. but the controls (and the way the characters just keep kicking your ass) and how slow your character moves around it's just kinda slow and painful. Even with the cheat on I didn't manage to get too far... I still recommend playing it though... if only they could have bumped up the speed just slightly and made the controls a bit more "stable"feeling..

Battlemorph is one of my favs! Something every Jag CD owner should have( damnit, mine is scratched :(....

Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, Braindead 13... they always tend to freeze up if you push too many buttons. I got REAL far on Space Ace, and then the damn thing froze up on me... (how fun, no save feature.. I never played it again)

IS2 is excellent! CD version... (no reason to get a crippled Cart version if you don't have too)

WTR, I don't have this title (still need to get it, hah) but I don't remember caring for it too much at JagFest when I played it.

Baldies... ummm....

I know the Jag CD library is pretty small... isn't that it? ;-)

Clint Thompson

:P

It's pretty good. But I like other games on cd better. It's a fighting game only with dino's.

But can anyone tell me about the version nr.'s in this game. I have to start mine to see what version but it was something like 1.0x are there really different versions around?

And what are the differences...

TXG/MNX

Maybe Im a little late in posting a reply to your thread (Hey, I just saw it)..

but i wanted to say I personally really enjoyed the Highlander game a lot.

I thought the backgrounds were stunning and thought they really did some interesting things with it. The mechanics were a bit odd but it was fun. A lot of folks (well maybe just me) were disapointed when we didn't get to see the other two games.

Brad

I was EXTREMELY disappointed, Highlander is one of my favorite Jagcd games. I keep hoping they will turn up as "lost" games since I read in an interview with Lore Design that the second one was 100% done and the third was like 90% complete, since it was originally to be one complete game on several disks, but the Tramiels, being such chincy penny-pinchers, they opted to break it up into several sequels to get more money out of it...(according to the programmers, who I'd believe over the Tramiels anyday...)

Has anyone ever looked into these titles?

:) I do believe that the version of Jag Primal Rage was 1.2. No idea what it means tho :( .

As for Highlander 2 & 3, I am surprised that nothing has been heard of them if they were as complete as Gunstar says. Wasn't Robinson's Requiem & Soulstar just about done for the CD too? How bout Jack Nicklas' Cyber Golf? :roll:

Anyhoo

Catch ya later

gaztee

:twisted:

I do believe that the version of Jag Primal Rage was 1.2. No idea what it means tho.

Mine too.

As for Highlander 2 & 3, I am surprised that nothing has been heard of them if they were as complete as Gunstar says. Wasn't Robinson's Requiem & Soulstar just about done for the CD too? How bout Jack Nicklas' Cyber Golf?

I can authoritatively state that a semi-playable version of at least one of these (major bugs after a certain point) exists. More than that I can't say anything, sorry.

I really enjoyed Highlander once I got into it (and got the trick of the controls...) - the game gets one hell of a lot easier once you get your sword ;-) Sadly I got trapped in one area however (in the mountains, when 3 guys advance towards you) - I thought they would cross the boundary between screens, so I backed into the next screen (where a rope bridge would have forced them to face me on-on-one) but they didn't, and they kept advancing, so I couldn't enter the next screen without getting beat on by three guys with swords at once :( I gave up at that point; I should really get the cheats out and try again some time.

Stone

Surfing a little on the 'net, I find Primal Rage only at goatari, at US$79(!).

About Highlander, I played with it, and it have good graphic, but controls are very odd... once I've learned it, game seems ok, but until I get the memory track I can't play it too much :D

About 'lost games' - not vapoware titles -, so we could write a list and add: Highlander 2 & 3, Jack Nicklaus and Soulstar...

About Highlander, I played with it, and it have good graphic, but controls are very odd... once I've learned it, game seems ok, but until I get the memory track I can't play it too much :D

About 'lost games' - not vapoware titles -, so we could write a list and add: Highlander 2 & 3, Jack Nicklaus and Soulstar...

Several people said that Highlander 2 and 3 were never even started.

Several people said that Highlander 2 and 3 were never even started.

It means that noone have see it... and it looks more real. Ok, scratched from the list and back to vaporware :)

Clint Thompson wrote:

IS2 is excellent! CD version... (no reason to get a crippled Cart version if you don't have too)

Ive got the CD version and I like it. Im not going to get the cut up cart version what was Telegames thinking thay could have put out one of the unreleased carts! :? o.0 but no thay had a better idea! :twisted: hehe....