IGNORED

VideoGames Then and Now (Sean Kelly)

NIAD

For anyone that lives in the ChicagoLand area and are into retrogaming (you must be if you are on here!), there is a fantastic retrogaming store in Norridge that is owned and operated by none other than Sean Kelly... the maker of the Coleco MultiCart (think his was the first before Kevin Horton's). Sean also did a lot of work with the CV and ADAM in the 90's and currently helps run one of the retrogaming shows (forget which one).

I was throroghly impressed with the selection of systems that were represented in his store and as well as all the other retro gear, plus he's a lot of fun to talk with and reminisce about stuff!

Here is the address and phone:

VideoGames Then and Now

4351 N. Harlem

Norridge, IL

(708) 457-2260

Wow I was beginning to think everyone was from Canada that delt with coleco and adam and here there is someone in my own back yard.

I grew up in Niles, IL

I will have to check it out

thanks for the info.

It's a small world after all. I grew up in Chicago around Canfield and Foster and am currently just north of O'Hare Airport.

• 2 months later...

and the last bunch of pics...

Yurkie, bet your gonna love seeing all those ColecoVisions stacked up on the floor waiting to be tested.

BTW, their is a back room where game competitions are held and the most interesting room must be the closed door office where all kinds of other goodies must be kept! :x

post-25956-129288363019_thumb.jpg

post-25956-129288363795_thumb.jpg

post-25956-12928836487_thumb.jpg

post-25956-129288365836_thumb.jpg

Wow, what a cool place! :lust:

I'd probably bring my sleeping bag and spend a few days there. :P

Sean's store reminds me of my time managing a computer store in Lisle, IL. called CompuKingdom (we ran the ADAM Users Group/Mail Order out of there as well and in fact the success of the ADAM group afforded the owner the ability to open the computer store). It was a joy to wake up every day and get ready to go to work and I regret how I took such a great time and job for granted and didn't really appreciate it enough until much later.

I still can remember all the neighborhood kids by name that would hang out there all day and night, especially when new Sega SMS and Genesis games were released... sorry Nintendo fans, only carried the Sega systems!

Sean stated that his basement puts to shame what's displayed in the store! Gotta be a couple Coleco prototypes stashed away there as well, unless Willie Berdan still has them all.

There's no need for Sean to have all those CV systems... on the ground! :(

Tell him to send them all to me :P

The ColecoVisions must be selling pretty good for him because the last two times I was there, none were boxed up and ready for purchase and that stack of CV systems has gone down.

I'd say we got a great place for a little exposure on the SPECIAL PROJECT, eh! Maybe Sean could offer a YOU KNOW WHAT with each system sold.

I love those stacks of CVs :lust: Thanks for the posting the pics NIAD.

Can't be more than a 4 hour drive from where you are... I'd say it's worth it. Or better yet, if you go to the MGC, it's only a 5 minute detour off the highway... and then a couple hours delay before you get out of the store!

Actually, us Chicagoans are pretty lucky with Retro store. There's one further in the city and another one in the western suburbs, but I'd say Sean's store is hands down the BEST.

Edited by NIAD

There's no need for Sean to have all those CV systems... on the ground! :(

Tell him to send them all to me :P

The ColecoVisions must be selling pretty good for him because the last two times I was there, none were boxed up and ready for purchase and that stack of CV systems has gone down.

I'd say we got a great place for a little exposure on the SPECIAL PROJECT, eh! Maybe Sean could offer a YOU KNOW WHAT with each system sold.

Yeah! This is a great idea!

Sean could give a YOU KNOW WHAT with each system sold :D

A "YOU KNOW WHAT", what? You gonna talk code and leave the rest of us in the dark?

Well, basically SlowCoder, Retroillucid and I have been working on creating a "ColecoVision & ADAM Virtual Musuem DVD". We have basically pooled our two collections of items we have collected for these two great systems over the years as well as found on the Internet. I have been hammering away at my stuff since last December and you might have seen mention of it in these forums a number of times. It's a great collection, but it's still missing a lot and is only a collection of files. This is why I approached Retroillucid a couple of months ago as I knew he has large collection of CV goodies and the SKILLS to layout the collection in a very professional and impressive manor using all the latest and greatest programs.

This, in effect, will be a PRESERVATION EFFORT of everything that we can accumulate concerning the CV and ADAM so that nothing will be lost to the ages... lord knows enough already has. This also will in effect replace the text only ColecoVision FAQ as all that information and a lot more will be contained on the DVD with pictures, videos, etc.

We would also like to ask for contributions to this project as I'm sure that many of the forum visitors on this site have items (videos, pics, ads, magazine scans, manuals, etc.) in their personal collections that we may not and of course credit will be given in what we hope will be a very long contributors section list.

Getting back to my previous CODED message... when I visited Sean Kelly's store today, the idea hit me that once the DVD is ready, these retro stores would be the perfect place to make them available as well as thru the normal methods and the videogame shows. So in effect, anyone buying a CV, could also buy the DVD and have a world of information available to them that they would normally have to randomly search for on the Internet.

We still have a lot to work out, but hopefully in the coming months we will have a product ready for distribution that will be packaged in a very professional manor (we've all seen Retroillucid's impressive handiwork) and also offer free downloadable updates.

So what am I? Chopped liver? I don't even get a mention in this project? Sniff, sniff....

A "YOU KNOW WHAT", what? You gonna talk code and leave the rest of us in the dark?

Well, basically SlowCoder, Retroillucid and I have been working on creating a "ColecoVision & ADAM Virtual Musuem DVD". We have basically pooled our two collections of items we have collected for these two great systems over the years as well as found on the Internet. I have been hammering away at my stuff since last December and you might have seen mention of it in these forums a number of times. It's a great collection, but it's still missing a lot and is only a collection of files. This is why I approached Retroillucid a couple of months ago as I knew he has large collection of CV goodies and the SKILLS to layout the collection in a very professional and impressive manor using all the latest and greatest programs.

This, in effect, will be a PRESERVATION EFFORT of everything that we can accumulate concerning the CV and ADAM so that nothing will be lost to the ages... lord knows enough already has. This also will in effect replace the text only ColecoVision FAQ as all that information and a lot more will be contained on the DVD with pictures, videos, etc.

We would also like to ask for contributions to this project as I'm sure that many of the forum visitors on this site have items (videos, pics, ads, magazine scans, manuals, etc.) in their personal collections that we may not and of course credit will be given in what we hope will be a very long contributors section list.

Getting back to my previous CODED message... when I visited Sean Kelly's store today, the idea hit me that once the DVD is ready, these retro stores would be the perfect place to make them available as well as thru the normal methods and the videogame shows. So in effect, anyone buying a CV, could also buy the DVD and have a world of information available to them that they would normally have to randomly search for on the Internet.

We still have a lot to work out, but hopefully in the coming months we will have a product ready for distribution that will be packaged in a very professional manor (we've all seen Retroillucid's impressive handiwork) and also offer free downloadable updates.

So what am I? Chopped liver? I don't even get a mention in this project? Sniff, sniff....

You know your ONE OF THE BIG REASONS why this little endeavor has taken on the life that it has! If it wasn't for you and your terrific website, I probably would have never got back into the whole CV and ADAM scene again last December. Plus working together with you on all this stuff the last year has been the most fun I've had with computers (in general) and the CV in a long time.

In fact, now that I think of it, you are the reason my bank account has been taking a major hit these last couple of months! :x

Well, that not exactly true... it's this addiction that I never overcame to all things Coleco and ADAM and all the wonderful products and people that are driving the CV/ADAM scene now.

As Retro said, there is going to be a LARGE list of people credited in the contributors list that will/should include all the people from back in the '80's that drove the ADAM screne/groups all the way up to the current day. The only thing I dread about a list like this is that almost always someone is not mentioned/listed and then they take issue... we're going to do our best to not let this happen.

BTW, just be happy with the fact that you have kicked everyone's behind in the High Score Club competition for Antarctic Adventure and will be getting all those first place points! :D

Looks like this thread has taken a sharp turn. :) Anyway...

I have a suggestion on the project, to help ensure accuracy and completeness... when the project is very near completion, start accepting paid pre-orders. Anyone who pre-orders would be able to download the whole package (or the parts they're familiar with) immediately, and would be able to review areas that they might be experts in. Then we could send you our corrections/additions/suggestions for your review. Then hopefully the physical product would be as close to complete as possible, with less required updates.

I'm hoping the package will include "newer" information such as hardware and homebrews.

Retroillucid, does this project take the place of the book you were thinking of making?

This sounds like a great project. Count me in for a copy!

edit: I know this is a tough question, but what's the current status, and when will I see mine in the mail?

Edited by 5-11under