IGNORED

New Skunkboard on the way?

Sauron

Okay, I got mine in! :)

Now, after looking it over - I can see what others are talking about, how it can easily be damaged in use. I mean,

its basically an exposed PCB after all.

So is anyone selling kits to house it, or any links to 'How to's" to house it yourself.

I certainly want to protect my investment. :)

Thanks!

Okay, I got mine in! :)

Now, after looking it over - I can see what others are talking about, how it can easily be damaged in use. I mean,

So is anyone selling kits to house it, or any links to 'How to's" to house it yourself.

I certainly want to protect my investment. :)

Thanks!

best to just sacrafice a jag cartridge and use a dremel to make room for the larger usb ports on the sides so the pcb can fit in the case. Drill a tiny hole in the top of the cartridge when its together so the usb cord can fit through the top of the case and voila, your done!

Its not plug and play into a stock jaguar cartridge shell but its somewhat close with a little help

Edited by rush6432
  • Like 2

I got mine in today as well and just got a chance to test it. Everything works beautifully. *edit* I am only getting 7KB a second transfer to the Skunkboard over a USB 2.0 connection. The manual shows much more realistic speeds for transfer rate, is there a troubleshooting process for this?

I am fairly confident that discussion commercial ROM usage on this thing is taboo around here. In response I can only say that the only way to truly experience a game is to play it on real hardware. Secondarily to that, any game I actually enjoy playing I try to buy as complete as I can afford.

I do hope it is okay though that I offer anybody and everybody to request video comparisons of any Jaguar game versus the same or similar game on any platform. I already have a request for a Pitfall the Mayan Adventure Comparison across all platforms, so that is first in line. I also have a slight interest in Ultra Vortek versus Cosmic Carnage and Mortal Kombat 2, but I need to look into that one a bit more.

Thanks and may everybody have a safe and beneficial Christmas, especially those that made this happen.

Edited by sheath

*edit* I am only getting 7KB a second transfer to the Skunkboard over a USB 2.0 connection.

Look at the previous skunkboard threads, you'll need a hub of some kind to fix that. I believe a powered hub is recommended by Tursi, but I've personally had no luck with those - had better results with very cheap unpowered ones.

• Like 2

*edit* I am only getting 7KB a second transfer to the Skunkboard over a USB 2.0 connection.

Look at the previous skunkboard threads, you'll need a hub of some kind to fix that. I believe a powered hub is recommended by Tursi, but I've personally had no luck with those - had better results with very cheap unpowered ones.

Well that would be a weird solution, but I have a hub so I can try it. Either way, it is good to know that it is supposed to go faster than this. I can work with that.

Well that would be a weird solution, but I have a hub so I can try it. Either way, it is good to know that it is supposed to go faster than this. I can work with that.

It does seem odd, maybe it's re-syncing somehow, I have no idea & don't want to get into trouble for saying the wrong thing ;-) All I know is it works, it's not a big deal & 170-250k/sec is much better than 7k/sec... but if the skunk only worked at 7k/sec I'd still be using it every day... probably just drink a lot more tea between testing things :D

• Like 1

Yeah, I plugged in my old unpowered USB HUB and now I am getting 118KB/sec. That is wild. Then again, my Rosewill Ethernet Hub sped up my 360 and HTPC's connection to the Internet and over the network for some reason unknown to me.

heh, I misread that as "Roswell" hub :D bit of Area 51 UFO action going on there with your Ethernet :D

• Like 3

i have just orderd one of these skunk boards too, anyone got any links to sites that support/have downloadable homebrews?, i understand that commercial roms are the ultimate taboo round here but i dont wanna, be buying heaps of carts for ridiculous prices, and i've read a few threads round the web stating that people have had success with comroms anyone know of any truths to this?

I in no way endorse the (whatever you want to call it) of comroms, but in saying that i want to relive the jaguar experience without spending retarded amounts on buying original carts

i have just orderd one of these skunk boards too, anyone got any links to sites that support/have downloadable homebrews?, i understand that commercial roms are the ultimate taboo round here but i dont wanna, be buying heaps of carts for ridiculous prices, and i've read a few threads round the web stating that people have had success with comroms anyone know of any truths to this?

I in no way endorse the (whatever you want to call it) of comroms, but in saying that i want to relive the jaguar experience without spending retarded amounts on buying original carts

There's a little less of a stink about "comroms" nowadays, although talking about ROMs of games that are still actively sold by the devs/publishers is still forbidden.

As for homebrews, check out the Reboot and Jagware websites.

There's a little less of a stink about "comroms" nowadays, although talking about ROMs of games that are still actively sold by the devs/publishers is still forbidden.

As for homebrews, check out the <a href="http://reboot.atari.org">Reboot</a> and <a href="http://www.jagware.org">Jagware</a> websites.

thanks mate :) , really look forward to reliving this system!!!

:) That is the first thing I did when I got mine and it really does pay off. Would help you but currently away from my dremmel kit, but like it's been said, if you have a dremmel kit, not too hard to do. There was a thread a few years back called something like "I got my Skunkboard" thread where people showed their Skunkboard cases. (including my photoshop of what one would look like in a Battlesphere Gold case if someone tried that.) Been one or two threads since that one.

Thanks Doc.

Guess I'll have to grab a 2nd hand, lower rated game and sacrifice it. :)

Or you could get these eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1306112649291?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=130611264929&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] so as not to have to sacrifice your game, It would give you 3 extra cases but I'm sure someone else would buy your extras or you might even need extras in case you screw one up :)

Or you could get these eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1306112649291?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=130611264929&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] so as not to have to sacrifice your game, It would give you 3 extra cases but I'm sure someone else would buy your extras or you might even need extras in case you screw one up :)

Thanks for that link - bought it on the spot. :)

Awesome! Glad I could help you out.

I see some users are creating Batch files to files to flash their Skunk Boards.

http://www.atariage....ost__p__2408665

Here are a few that I'm using.

This method I can just drag/drop or copy/paste the file I want to flash onto the batch file.

Just make sure the JCP.exe is in the same folder as the batch file.

================================================

@Echo off

echo.

jcp -r

pause

echo.

echo Flashing %1

jcp.exe -f %1

This one I use for bin files.

@Echo off

echo.

jcp -r

pause

echo.

echo Flashing %1

jcp.exe %1

Menu batch

@Echo off

:Menu

Cls

Echo.

Echo Flash Jaguar Skunk Board

ECHO.

ECHO R - Reset Jaguar

ECHO 1 - Asteroids 2000

ECHO 2 - Painter 1996

Echo E - Exit

ECHO.

SET /P M=Type R, 1, 2, or E then press ENTER:

IF /I %M%==R jcp.exe -r

IF %M%==1 jcp.exe -o "Asteroid (2000) (PD).jag" $20000

IF %M%==2 jcp.exe -o "Painter (bin format) (1996) (PD).bin" $10000

If /I %M%==E GOTO End

goto Menu

:end

And last a Menu for my Favorites ;)

@Echo off

:Menu

Cls

Echo.

Echo Flash Jaguar Skunk Board

ECHO.

ECHO R - Reset Jaguar

ECHO 1 - Beebris SE (Tetris)

ECHO 2 - Downfall

ECHO 3 - Kobayashi Maru (Time Pilot)

ECHO 4 - Superfly DX v1.1

Echo E - Exit

ECHO.

SET /P M=Type R, 1, 2, 3, 4, or E then press ENTER:

IF /I %M%==R jcp -r

IF %M%==1 jcp.exe -f "BEEBRIS.rom"

IF %M%==2 jcp.exe -f "Downfall.rom"

IF %M%==3 jcp.exe -f "KOBAYASHI MARU.rom"

IF %M%==4 jcp.exe -f "SFDXv1_1.ROM"

If /I %M%==E GOTO End

goto Menu

:end

Edited by NML32
  • Like 4

Got mine Christmas eve (very unexpected) Thank you :)

We did our darndest to put these all together and ship them all out the moment we got them in.

Oddly, according to the company that assembled the PCBs, I think that their ship date to Tursi was supposed to be right about now, but suddenly at the end of November Tursi got a shipped notice. He rocketed through programming and testing them as fast as can be, and Gary and I spent an entire night together assembling them with the hope we could get a bunch in people's hands before Christmas. Glad to hear that it worked!

• Like 4

Hello,

I just got my first Skunkboard, which made it across the pond in a matter of days. I have a second one ordered using a slow shipping method, just for redundancy, I'm paranoid that way. ;)

Actually because of my paranoia I didn't dare to try it: I have a used Jaguar with a very finicky cartridge slot. A cartridge must be inserted just right otherwise it's red screen.

I thought I would have plenty of time to order a "new" Jaguar. So I just ordered a "new" Jaguar on Amazon.

So for now the only comment I can make is that the whole packaging is totally professional looking. It's nice to see such polishing in a product that i sold in the low hundreds (I guess?) and not in millions.

Well done guys.