IGNORED

Multiple colors per scanline?

DavidEth

Seems like it could work -- the mountains in Chopper Command might be doing it.

Assume I have a grid of squares, and I want each square to have an arbitrary color based on terrain type.

(Using SCORE mode works great for games like Medieval Mayhem, not sure it applies here)

Assuming I had a subroutine for each of several combinations of terrain, can I hit COLUBK multiple times per scanline and expect it to work on real hardware?

Seems like the fastest I could do it is every 9 color clocks (a bunch of STA/STX/STY COLUBK's to pick between three colors), but that doesn't line up with the playfield and I would be unable to update the playfield registers either.

Every color clock being 3 cpu cycles makes it a bit of a pain in the ass to line up though. Does the write from the CPU happen on the last cycle of the instruction?

ST{AXY} COLUP0 ; 3 cycles, 9 color clocks; 17 tiles across, only 3 colors.

ST{AXY}.w COLUP0 ; 4 cycles, 12 color clocks.  13 tiles across.  Playing field would line up at least.

LDA #NN
STA COLUP0 ; 5 cycles, 15 color clocks.  10 tiles across.  Arbitrary colors.

LDA #NN
STA.w COLUP0 ; 6 cycles, 18 color clocks.  8 tiles across.  Arbitrary colors.

LDA #NN
NOP
STA COLUUP0 ; 7 cycles, 21 color clocks, not very useful.

LDA #NN
STA zp_dummy
STA COLUP0; 8 cycles, 24 color clocks.  6 tiles across.  Playing field would line up.

I guess the only practical one gives me a whopping 6 tiles across while still having enough time to update playfield registers too. If I wanted a bigger map I guess it could scroll?

-Dave

Hi Dave,

I use this to get 6 different coloured graphic shapes ( all the same character ) for a puzzle game style kernel ( Players set 3 copies narrow as P0 P1 P0 P1 P0 P1 )

;Single line of graphics

ldx #10
line
stx index
inx
ldy colour
stx COLUPF
lda graphic-2,x
sta GRP0
sta GRP1

ldx colour+5
txs
sty COLUP0
ldy colour+1
sty COLUP1
ldx colour+3
ldy colour+4

lda #$f2
sta COLUBK
lda colour+2

sta COLUP0
stx COLUP1
sty COLUP0
tsx
stx COLUP1

lda #0
sta COLUBK
ldx index

dex
bne line

Yes, you can display multiple colors per scan line using a single color register. And as you've already figured out, getting the color changes to align with the playfield pixels can be tricky.

Assuming you've already got the accumulator, X register, and Y register loaded with the colors you want to use, the fastest color change is

STA COLUBK ; 3 machine cycles * 3 color clocks = 9 screen positions
  STX COLUBK ; 3 machine cycles * 3 color clocks = 9 screen positions
  STY COLUBK ; 3 machine cycles * 3 color clocks = 9 screen positions

If you want to make the color changes line up with the playfield pixels, use absolute addressing:

STA.a COLUBK ; 4 machine cycles * 3 color clocks = 12 screen positions / 4 color clocks = 3 playfield pixels
  STX.a COLUBK ; 4 machine cycles * 3 color clocks = 12 screen positions / 4 color clocks = 3 playfield pixels
  STY.a COLUBK ; 4 machine cycles * 3 color clocks = 12 screen positions / 4 color clocks = 3 playfield pixels

Of course, that limits you to switching between 3 colors-- which might be enough for what you want to do-- and you have to have the colors preloaded. Or, if you want one of the colors to continue for a bit before it's changed, you might need to have only 2 colors preloaded.

If you don't want any of the colors to repeat, the fastest you can load and change colors is

LDA #val1   ; 2 machine cycles +
  STA COLUBK ; 3 machine cycles = 5 cycles * 3 clocks = 15 positions
  LDA #val2
  STA COLUBK

This could be used with the Harmony's DPC+ fast-fetch mode, or the code could be stored in RAM so the values loaded by the LDA# instructions can be changed. Otherwise, the fastest loads for variable data are

LDA zp1	; 3 cycles +
  STA COLUBK ; 3 cycles = 6 cycles * 3 clocks = 18 positions

All of those examples assume you're using a single color register. If you use two or more color registers, you can get more colors on a line, or have color changes that are closer together.

Michael