IGNORED

Dreamcast/gamecube controller mod?

Awesomepants

Okay, so I'm buying a dreamcast but those controllers cramp my hands bad. Gamecube controllers, however, are absolutely perfect. So I was wondering if mabe, since i can't find an adapter, it were possible to mod the input or something like that? like take the end off of a dreamcast and pop it on a gamecube. Has anyone heard of this being done?

It's been a long time since I heard any discussion on this topic. I *seriously* doubt you'll find a DC to GC adapter.

You best bet is to find a DC to Playstation controller adapter. Even they're not as common as they used to be.

I agree the DC controller isn't exactly ideal (too much heft of plastic) but I find it doesn't hurt my hands.

The only one that I see available now is the "Total Control" and "Total Control Plus." I have no idea, the descriptions look the same, and they're the same price (at play-asia) so I'd probably assume there's something to the "plus?"

Total Control at play-asia

Total Conrol Plus at play-asia

Ebay search for "dreamcast controller adapter" only brings up Total Control Plus and Total Control 3. I have TC3 - it's to use Saturn controllers (and twinsticks) with the DC. You'd have to figure whether the play-asia would still be cheaper, after the shipping.

Maybe someone has better ideas?

The DC controllers would be fien for me, but the grips are a bit too narrow and especially the triggers are considerably too low for the layout. The triggers would be fine as they are if it weren't for the bulky expansion port bay bumping into my fingers... Too much heft is definitely NOT my problem as the Xbox Duke is near perfect in terms of ergonomic design. (the face buttons are the man weakness)

I agree on the GC controller though: Nintendo managed to come up with something that works very well with a wide range of hand sizes and in that respect it's definitely better than the N64 controller. (I've noticed my thunk gets sore faster on the GC stick than the N64 ones -due to the thicker and more rounded edges and the D-pad and face buttons are generally far better, but the GC grips definitely cater much better to a wide range of hands and the triggers are excellent)

All of those are better than the Playstation controller though... at very least in terms of general ergonomics for a broad array of hand sizes and preferences. (I can still use them, but they're among my leas favorite group of modern controllers)

But back on topic though: I wonder if combining the 2 adapters would work: It should work and that would certainly be interesting to see done.

Call me the minority, then, but I think the Playstation controller is the most comfortable controller ever. The Gamecube controller isn't uncomfortable, but GOOD LORD why did they screw it up with a TINY d-pad, and down so low? It totally SUCKS for playing Gameboy Player where the d-pad is needed. A GC to PS adapter was my cure, but opinions vary. Other than the d-pad, I like the Gamecube controller quite well. Enough of that blather.....

The real point is, I wouldn't exactly count on 2 adapters working. Sometimes this adapter stuff should work in conjunction but it may not. The PS2/Logitech cordless won't work on the Gamecube through the adapter, but every other controller does. Why not? Who knows? Can't remember, but it seemed like they worked on the Xbox.

After all my controller gripes, I just use the Wavebird because I want cordless. I use Logitech's cordless on the PS/PS2 and Logitech-specific Xbox cordless on it.

Edited by wood_jl