IGNORED

Vic-20 Video coard alternatives

gamer2

Hello, I have a vic-20 that I want to mess with, but I have no video cables for it. Upon looking for the cable, its expensive. What are some alternatives that are cheaper (like Commodore 64 cables, or Master System/Genesis Model 1 video cables), or how do I video mod it to use straight composite?

http://pinouts.ru/Video/Vic20Video_pinout.shtml

That should fix you right up if you are wanting to make a cable.

The high and low, could that correspond to Luma and Chroma? If so, this gives me the option of making an S-video cable. The guy said on the website that when he hooked it up to pin 5, he got black and white, which would be luma.

Edited by gamer2

From what I have read, yes, you can definitely get s-video from a Commodore. Not sure about the technical specs right this moment but people have posted that s-video comes from a C= natively, all that is required is the correct cabling.

All you need is a double RCA to S-Video adaptor. Info at my CRT VS LCD signature link.

The Sega cables are incompatibile (audio is the same but video on the genesis is the power line on the VIC iirc -but the luma line on the C64). The C64 and Atari 8-bit cables share audio and composite video lines. (again, the luma line on the C64 cable wouldn't be usable)

If you can find a VIC 20 RF adapter (working or not) at a good price, you could cannibalize that to make AV cables too.

The Sega cables are incompatibile (audio is the same but video on the genesis is the power line on the VIC iirc -but the luma line on the C64). The C64 and Atari 8-bit cables share audio and composite video lines. (again, the luma line on the C64 cable wouldn't be usable)

If you can find a VIC 20 RF adapter (working or not) at a good price, you could cannibalize that to make AV cables too.

OK, if anyone has a spare composite connector or can make me one, how much for it, or is there something you'd want for it?

Edited by gamer2

• 2 months later...

I need help with this issue. I have a Vic-20 and a Commodore 1702 and I can't get them to work together. I have the rf adaptor which works on an older tv. I bought a cable off Ebay which I thought would work for the VIC and the 1702, but no luck :-(. Any help appreciated, thanks!

I need help with this issue. I have a Vic-20 and a Commodore 1702 and I can't get them to work together. I have the rf adaptor which works on an older tv. I bought a cable off Ebay which I thought would work for the VIC and the 1702, but no luck :-(. Any help appreciated, thanks!

Is the cable the 5 pin din that plugs into the Vic-20? Use the front connector and set the switch in the back to the front.

vic20videobi1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This VIC 20 S/Video mod article details that operation and the resulting video is (I am informed by many adventurous users) outstanding. I have found C= VIC 20 composite video cables for ~ $8 on ebay all the time, and they also work with my Atari 800s with a Commodore 1702 monitor or connected to a VCR that passes the video source through to a standard TV.

Edited by Robert Hurst