IGNORED

Sonic The Hedgehog on the 2600

tokumaru

I'd like to make a couple bees flying in a overlapped figure-eight pattern as one of the enemies in this game. Does this sprite look ok? Any suggestions on how to improve it? I'm aiming for something similar to this. It needs to be a normal width sprite, but it is full resolution and can be as tall as you want.

post-40226-0-17867500-1425053208.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Finally conquered the platform tile. It now scrolls off the top and left sides properly. Now it can be used as a template for the more difficult tiles like the loop.

The level data format was changed to allow horizontal placement at any location and allow for a single parameter. Fortunately this won't take any more RPM space than the previous format.

The video is a little choppy because my gpu can't seem to handle stella and bandicam recording simultaneously.

http://youtu.be/8ICIDswdJnY

Edited by ZackAttack

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had some time to start work on the vertical loop tile. Moving both sides in a curve and drawing each ring separately was quite a challenge. I had to hide the flag to enable/disable the second copy of M1 in the color data for P1 and the move data for HMM1. There is still a ton of work to do, but it appears to be possible at least. Here's what it looks like so far. If you pay careful attention you'll see that the graphics for each ring is different. They can be animated to spin in different directions and be easily removed once collected.

post-40226-0-74796500-1429497575_thumb.png

Debug colors to show how it works:

post-40226-0-62084800-1429497581_thumb.png

• Like 4

This is sweet! I didn't realize you were working on this.

Started on it late last year. I was looking for a game idea and when I saw the sprites and design ideas/demos from tokumaru and roland p, I decided to try picking up where they left off. Soon I'm going to start work on the hardware prototype so testing the new banking scheme on real hardware can be done.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

That's a completely unrelated project. The only similarity are the sprites that were copied/adapted from this project without my permission.

You are accusing Chris Spry of copying / adapting your Sonic sprites, which you copied / adapted from Sonic the Hedgehog Sega Genesis? Is this not a classic case of the pot calling the kettle black? :roll:

I never claimed ownership over Sonic's likeness, but I made my own interpretation of it, along with various other items (rings, monitors, end of level signs, etc.) in Atari 2600 style, which were copied almost 1:1 by another homebrew developer that's making money off of Sega's character and my art.

I'm not minimizing Spry's work on his game (although I honestly think the final result lacks polish, specially in regards to physics), but you can't deny that he copied someone else's work for use in a commercial project, and that's not a very nice thing to do.

You know what, Kosmic Stardust? Your comment sucks. How can you possibly compare the fan work we were doing in this thread for fun, to someone silently coming by and lifting the art nearly 1:1 for his own financial gain? If you can't see the difference, well, I don't know what else I can say to you.

I never heard anything from Spry, not a request for the art, or any comments about it after the fact, and I never planned on picking a fight over this, bacause when you post stuff online, that's a risk you take. But I can't help feeling betrayed. He did a shitty thing. If I make my own game now, do you think people won't accuse me of copying Zippy's sprites? He literally stole my sprites from me, do you think that's a decent thing to do to a fellow developer?

I expected someone using Google image search while looking for sprites for a shitty game maker project to do this kind of thing, not a talented developer from this very forum, and definitely not for a profit.

Edited by tokumaru

Just to be clear, the only reason I'm bringing this up now is because people keep associating Zippy with the work we were doing here, so I wanted to make it clear that aside from the "similar" sprites, the two are completely unrelated. I've even got several PMs, here and elsewhere, asking me about Zippy, and I have to explain I had nothing to do with it, besides making the art that "inspired" it. Frankly, I'm kinda fed up with that.

You know what, Kosmic Stardust? Your comment sucks.

Hey man. I wasn't trying to offend.

I've been following Spry ever since he started developing Princess Rescue, which I helped to beta test. I'm not saying he did or did not steal your work. If so, it was a shitty thing to do. I was following Zippy the Porcupine development which was announced shortly after Princess Rescue was completed and released. In fact I wasn't aware of your project until after Zippy development started.

I've beaten and completed Princess Rescue although I never could complete Zippy let alone beat one boss fight. That said, there's not a whole lot of ways to downsample 16-bit era sprite art to single color per line, 8 pixel width Atari graphics. So had Spry done the work himself, it would have yielded similar results.

And your work is no less copyright infringement than Spry's completed game. Sega could have shut down Zippy if they wanted, same as Nintendo did with PR after IGN reviewed it as "Super Mario 2600," with links to buy it in the AA Store.

One final point before I leave this thread for good, Spry did create a finished game, bad physics or not. You only did sprite sheets and a couple of animated demos. The physics weren't exactly perfect in Princess Rescue either, but were close enough to give the illusion of playing a Mario game. He basically reused the Princess Rescue engine with tweaks for Zippy. Same principal. Sonic for 2600 with non-infringing name.

EDIT: Spoiler tags added to original comment.

Edited by Kosmic Stardust