IGNORED

Sonic The Hedgehog on the 2600

tokumaru

Thanks Spry for chiming in. You input is always appreciated.

Did I stutter? I was quite serious! :P

NSFW WARNING!!! (Seriously, don't click the link, if you're offended by cartoon dicks.)

Link: https://i.imgur.com/Ygu01xr.jpg

You should totally do Knuckles the Echinda next. They have freakishly large mutant looking appendages irl. :o

Nsfw: https://curiouscox.wordpress.com/2012/02/07/echidna-penis-i-echid-you-not/

Thanks for clearing this up, Spry. Just from looking at the sprites I knew that things went as you described: some edits due to different kernel constraints (I had planned for a 9-pixel wide player, full vertical resolution for objects/enemies, and mixed sizes for bosses, while the kernel you used always draws 8-pixel sprites at half vertical resolution and a single size), combined with tweaks based on personal preferences.

Using references is good, yes, I do it all the time, but the final result is still strikingly similar to the source material. The sprites were originally made to see how faithful an Atari 2600 game could be to the original Sonic gameplay, and, as a group effort, we were trying a few different things here. When I first noticed you were developing Zippy (before it was called Zippy, IIRC), I figured you were in doing it in the same spirit as the rest of the guys here, just experimenting with other ways to make Sonic happen, so I didn't mind seeing my art adapted. I never expected you to release a commercial product, specially not after what happened with Princess Rescue.

I don't think there's much we can do about it now. I am very upset for seeing minor edits of my art (I don't buy the "this is the 2600, there are only so many ways to draw a character" argument that was thrown around, these are minor edits and real artists now it) being used in a commercial project. This was never the purpose of these sprites.

Please don't do this in the future. Just because some art was posted online, that doesn't mean it's free for the taking. When using someone else's art, even if you tweak it to your needs, which is common on retro platforms, it's common courtesy to contact the original author and to respect his wishes (credit, monetary compensation, or even refusal). I turned down everyone who asked me to use this art in personal projects, since this was my personal project at first, and then a community effort here at AA.

• Like 1

I know most people like to dabble with making games for the Atari and a lot of times it tends to not go anywhere. Most of the time I work on one though, I intend on finishing it and releasing it. There are only a few other games I've worked on that were never completed (not including my current effort). One was a test and another never got off the ground. I realize my mistake in not contacting you in the first place to ask if I could use them as reference material. I remember when I first started on this, I started scouring the web for anything I could possibly use for an 8 pixel width and not too tall sprite reference and nothing was coming up, until I came across your sprites which were the closest thing I found that I could use as a reference point because they looked close enough to the Sonic brand in that format. I wanted to make Sonic for the Atari as my next project and you gave me something to work with to help make it happen, and I really appreciate all the work you put into making those. I'm not sure if my end result would have been as good if I never saw them, but it did give me a good idea visually on how to make it look good. I do feel like I do need to make it up to you though somehow for not asking in the first place if I could use them for reference. I was talking to my friend today about this, who is a professional artist and she pointed out the mistakes I made and said that I should had at least contacted you about using them for reference. She's right. Although I don't plan on using existing properties for future Atari game ideas, if I ever do something similar again, I'll be sure not to make the same mistake again. Right now as most of you know, I'm working on Robot Zed, and I'm still kinda dabbling with the designs of the enemies. Some are set, but some aren't. They're all robots of various forms (like Mega Man enemies are). If you'd like to make up a few, to help make up for Zippy, I could put them in. Maybe even a few ideas for robot master bosses. Still have to work on those. I'll give you credit in the manual as well for the additional designs, or maybe if you can think of anything else that I could do, just let me know and we'll see what can happen.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...