IGNORED

Trying to find the name for several Apple II games

SearsRoebuck

I have been looking all over for the names of several games I played as a kid, and I was hoping you all could help me out.

1. One was like a Jeopardy clone (or was it the Jeopardy game?), a quiz game, but instead of a 'final Jeopardy' the final puzzle was a brain teaser. I particularly remember one teaser that formed 'Michael Jackson' from some combination that had a picture of a microphone, a picture of hell with devils etc.

2. I played some clone of Night Driver/Datsun 280 Zzzzap, IIRC it had almost no graphics except the 'pegs' that formed the side of the road.

3. The last one was like a Sesame Street title (I think), but oddly I cannot find any info about it online. I remember it had a few different games in it, and the one I played the most was a hangman type thing.

Any idea? I played all of these from about 1987-1991, when we had our Apple II, although the quiz game I played over a friends house.

These games don't ring a bell, but you may want to peruse the games in this YouTube playlist to see if any match your memories:

Nope, not from that alone. I'd probably recognize the Night Driver clone game from a single screen shot, though. It was on a disk of pirated games I had when I was a kid, mostly very old Apple games (1981 or so).

• 2 weeks later...

Have you hit up the online emulators to see if they have them (by online emulators i mean the ones you use a browser with) like the apple IIgs explorer they have a list of apple II and IIgs games you can play, or virtual apple 2

2. sounds like Autobahn (its on the Virtual Apple 2 site under the apple 2 area towards the bottom of the A list), you have a selection in the menu and night driver is one of the six in the list. i do not know if thats the version you are looking for or not.

Edited by madmax2069

• 2 weeks later...

1. could have been Classic Concentration, which was also hosted by Alex Trebek...

2. sounds like "Driver," which, AFAIK, was an easter egg on the Print Shop Companion, you booted from Disk 2 and pressed a certain, long-forgotten key combination.

1. could have been Classic Concentration, which was also hosted by Alex Trebek...

2. sounds like "Driver," which, AFAIK, was an easter egg on the Print Shop Companion, you booted from Disk 2 and pressed a certain, long-forgotten key combination.

1. THATS IT! Now, I see there is also a sequel, but it appears the rom isnt available for either, nor the real thing. I remember the player I chose, if I could see some actual footage I could narrow it down to the right version. It's possible it was not the Apple version, as my buddy had an IBM too.

2. Interesting. These games were all pirated, sometimes in a different format than their original releases. I remember playing The Count on a regular floppy, when the original, non pirated version was a cassette. So perhaps Driver was somehow ripped from the Print Shop program? I remember it was on a disk with several other pirated games. I would need to see footage to be sure.

I've found collecting classic computers to be frustrating at times. Often I am not sure if several of these games ever had a true full retail release, some of them seem to have been shipped out in plastic bags, or in the case of most MECC games, not released at all outside of the school system. Many games seem to remain undumped, or only dumped in pirated forms.

What surprises me though is that I cannot find any info on the third game, which I seem to remember was Sesame Street. You think that it would be more common. If you guys can think of any hangman type games for Apple, perhaps I was wrong.

Edited by dmaxwell

• 1 month later...

3. The last one was like a Sesame Street title (I think), but oddly I cannot find any info about it online. I remember it had a few different games in it, and the one I played the most was a hangman type thing.

This might have been "Fun and Games" from Children's Television Workshop and was a collection of 5 games: Mix and Match, Animal, Raise the Flags (I think this is the hangman type game you're remembering) Layer Cake and Word Editor. I still have a disk image of this: http://bit.ly/ifgp06 Word Editor doesn't work but the others do.

I remember playing this plenty of times even though I was too old for it at the time.

This might have been "Fun and Games" from Children's Television Workshop and was a collection of 5 games: Mix and Match, Animal, Raise the Flags (I think this is the hangman type game you're remembering) Layer Cake and Word Editor. I still have a disk image of this: http://bit.ly/ifgp06 Word Editor doesn't work but the others do.

I remember playing this plenty of times even though I was too old for it at the time.

Hi. Thanks, yes that is it, however it is actually called just 'Mix and Match', and it includes all 5 options; I found a boxed copy and it is identical to that image.

Now if I could just figure out what the Night Driver clone was.