IGNORED

Lightguns

Matthias

How about using a sharp knife to gradually deepen the grooves in the screwhead? (This may not be possible depending on how deep the screws are countersunk into the casing). You could also try drilling out the thread if you have a drillbit the right size and an accurate drillpress.

Other than that, hacksawing the head off a smaller screw and epoxying it to the top sounds like a good plan.

Failing that, you could always buy a new one :D

Stone

• 7 months later...
Hello,

here is my latest attempt for a lightgun-testprogram.

It still shows a horizontal offset (cursor is drawn to right of the lightgun-spot). Startadress is $5000, lightgun at port 1, no use of buttons.

Matthias

Does your program have source code to fiddle with? I just did the mod for a Sega Light Phaser gun yesterday and am looking at testing the test program shortly. :D

Hello!

Does your program have source code to fiddle with? I just did the mod for a Sega Light Phaser gun yesterday and am looking at testing the test program shortly.  :D

I am not sure what you are trying to ask:

Do you want access to the execuatble to test your modified lightgun?

The testprogram (Balloons) was posted in this forum.

Or do you want access to the sourcecode?

Regards

Matthias

Hi,

I have the programs on the hard drive from when they were originally posted. I still have to unzip and fire them up to see what's what... I've been a bit busy.

I was just curious if there is source code for "Balloons" freely available to change and play around with. I am assuming that your post did not include source code.

Edit Update: I just tried a couple different times to get the lightgun program working. It just comes up as an eggshell white screen. Is this program NTSC compatible?

A big thank you goes out to walter_J64bit for giving me a program that works. The ones in this thread do not function properly. I think the wiring diagram on the Sega Light Phaser should be updated as well. -- inverted, gottchya. ;)

...and it's a gun game that doesn't flash with the trigger. That's so cool! I had to turn off several 26/7800 gun games when my ex-girlfriend was around. Her 9 year old son was cool to play games with, but she took medicine for seizures four times a day and the blinking gun games got to her sometimes.

Cool demo Matthias.

...and it's a gun game that doesn't flash with the trigger. That's so cool! I had to turn off several 26/7800 gun games when my ex-girlfriend was around. Her 9 year old son was cool to play games with, but she took medicine for seizures four times a day and the blinking gun games got to her sometimes.

Cool demo Matthias.

Only problem with the non-blinking approach is that you can't do a game unless you can be sure that everything onscreen will be above a certain brightness level, otherwise the gun behaves very oddly as it points at areas where the electron beam's not active. Unfortunately that's a limitation of the way the guns are interfaced to the Jag. If anyone ever makes a PSX pad adaptor for the Jag (which would require either separate pad code or a microcontroller in the adaptor) then it may one day be possible to use GCON-style guns that take a composite video input, which I believe gets around this problem.

You will however notice that in areas of arcade gun games where a crosshair is required (most notably high-score screens) the background is always very bright or white. This is done for precisely the same reason as it is in Balloons, with precisely the same advantage/disadvantage tradeoff (having a realtime crosshair vs requiring a bright scene, and being able to create dark areas of the game but being unable to have a crosshair). All these games draw a 'hit' object onto the screen after each shot as a very crude aiming tool, so it's not really that bad :)

Incidentally, did you encounter any jittering in the x-direction as you tested your mod? I've noticed this happened to all the guns I converted, as well as a couple of other people mentioning it...it seems to vary quite widely. If so there's a version of Balloons Tyrant and I worked on which tries to get fix this to a certain extent by trading off speed (being able to flick the gun around the screen fast) for steadiness of the crosshairs.

Stone

Incidentally, did you encounter any jittering in the x-direction as you tested your mod? I've noticed this happened to all the guns I converted, as well as a couple of other people mentioning it...it seems to vary quite widely. If so there's a version of Balloons Tyrant and I worked on which tries to get fix this to a certain extent by trading off speed (being able to flick the gun around the screen fast) for steadiness of the crosshairs.

Yes, there is considerable jitter to the left side of the crosshairs with this version. It's very noticable when you keep the gun still. You can actually see another crosshair flashing in multiple spots to the left side of your target area.

A big thank you goes out to walter_J64bit for giving me a program that works. The ones in this thread do not function properly. I think the wiring diagram on the Sega Light Phaser should be updated as well.  -- inverted, gottchya. ;)  

Cool demo Matthias.

I Just like to help when I can, But Ive got the files from Stone some time back!

post-2841-1066697607_thumb.jpg

[quote name="Stone"}

If anyone ever makes a PSX pad adaptor for the Jag (which would require either separate pad code or a microcontroller in the adaptor) then it may one day be possible to use GCON-style guns that take a composite video input' date=' which I believe gets around this problem.

Stone[/quote]

I had a similar thought about using GCON guns after seeing your light gun set up at JFUK as they are both readly available (if more expencive than using a second hand unit from an old system) and come with either foot pedels or D-Pads depending on the model but have been unable to find any usefull information about how they work/circuit diagrams.

If anyone ever makes a PSX pad adaptor for the Jag (which would require either separate pad code or a microcontroller in the adaptor) then it may one day be possible to use GCON-style guns that take a composite video input, which I believe gets around this problem.

Stone

I had a similar thought about using GCON guns after seeing your light gun set up at JFUK as they are both readly available (if more expencive than using a second hand unit from an old system) and come with either foot pedels or D-Pads depending on the model but have been unable to find any usefull information about how they work/circuit diagrams.

Yeah, I did have a quick google before settling on that approach. Seems Sony aren't too interested in sharing the pad info unless you reverse-engineer one :(

Stone

From information via snail mail straight from Atari and Virtuality (I have long since lost these letters): I remember reading that Mad Dog Mcree was to use the Virtuality VR headset. It was one of the games to be released at time of VR launch or soon after. The format was CD. A few other games were in the works (, as well, that were not immediately known to the public. (Durn my memory for not being photographic... ah well).

There were no official plans to make a light gun, however, a mention in some magazine noted that a small game and accessories company was in contact with Atari to produce such a device.

Hope this helps anyone who is curious. Sorry I can not remember more or provide the documents sent to me.

-Wes

TripnTrancr, your post said that MadDog McCree was scheduled to be compatible with the VR headset. However, do you know if the game itself was worked on? Was it, as Thunderbird pointed out, "one of the many hundreds of "announced" titles that never were even started?"

• 14 years later...

Worth noting the CDi Peace Keeper works on new TVs today as it was using IR back in the early 90s.

http://cdii.blogspot.com/2007/05/inside-cd-i-peacekeeper-revolver.html?m=1

Not sure if researching that device from the time period will help the efforts at all. IIRC that controller port is proprietary vs 9 pin.

Worth noting the CDi Peace Keeper works on new TVs today as it was using IR back in the early 90s.

http://cdii.blogspot.com/2007/05/inside-cd-i-peacekeeper-revolver.html?m=1

Not sure if researching that device from the time period will help the efforts at all. IIRC that controller port is proprietary vs 9 pin.

Even if there was a way to convert an adapter to the controller port to 9 pin, I'm willing to bet the rarity of the peacekeeper would pose a problem. It's still really cool though.

I actually have a far fetched idea, but not sure if it will work nor do I have the resources to test the theory at the moment.

There is already mouse code support for the Jag.

I was thinking about getting an optical mouse to work with this code. Then disassemble that optical mouse and try and enhance the laser with something stronger like one of those laser pointers that everyone tortures their cat with. Then jumble all of these parts into a gun shell like the NES zapper or something more common.

If this theory were to work, there would be a bright red dot on your screen but until I can mess with it any further, it's just a theory.

Then disassemble that optical mouse and try and enhance the laser with something stronger like one of those laser pointers that everyone tortures their cat with. Then jumble all of these parts into a gun shell like the NES zapper or something more common.

If this theory were to work, there would be a bright red dot on your screen but until I can mess with it any further, it's just a theory.

That's not a theory, it's a nonsensical flux capacitor salad.

• Like 4

I actually have a far fetched idea, but not sure if it will work nor do I have the resources to test the theory at the moment.

I was thinking about getting an optical mouse to work with this code. Then disassemble that optical mouse and try and enhance the laser with something stronger like one of those laser pointers that everyone tortures their cat with. Then jumble all of these parts into a gun shell like the NES zapper or something more common.

jKL1MHc.gif

• Like 1

Even if there was a way to convert an adapter to the controller port to 9 pin, I'm willing to bet the rarity of the peacekeeper would pose a problem. It's still really cool though.

http://www.mdgames.de/jag_eng.htm