IGNORED

Best Joystick for Atari 2600

RockinRollMcDonalds

Just got a Wico joystick with its box at a Goodwill for $3 and its wonderful.

In your opinion, what is the best joystick/Controller for the Atari 2600?

I own and love Wicos, and while they are solid machines... back in the day, my favorite workhorse was the short throw Suncom Slik Stik. It felt precise and predictable, albeit a little cheap. It was a natural transition to the tinier joysticks and eventually gamepads that later systems would use, IMO.

To this day, I believe all my highest scores from the VCS to the Amiga were earned with the slik stik.

Edited by hookem
  • Like 1

I haven't fired up a real 2600 in a while, but when i did, I really liked the Pointmaster however some people don't care for it:

I bought a Logitech Attack 3 (PC Controller) hoping it would be good for 2600 emulation, and it is absolutely horrible. You have to move the stick too far for it to register, presumably it is analog and not digital.

I have Wico's and i really don't like then that much, or see why so many like them.I'd have to say the one and only original CX-40 is the best, it's really a matter of taste though.

Agree.

While the Wicos are well-made sticks, they actually degrade player performance (albeit slightly).

The problem is throw distance. Since the stick is so big, one has to move the stick a longer distance to actuate the direction switches. This is exacerbated when one needs to "throw" the stick in one direction, then immediately in the opposite direction. Since the "throw" is physically longer than on a smaller stick, especially if you hold the stick near its top, it actually takes longer to move the stick, potentially degrading the player's game performance.

Granted, the difference is minute, perhaps not even noticeable by the player. But do you really want to take the chance that you're handicapping your own performance? I mean, just how serious a gamer are you, anyway? :D

Yes, you could hold the stick nearer its base to shorten the required throw distance, but doing so increases the effort necessary to actuate those monster arcade-quality leaf switches, due to decreased leverage. :(

Anyway, that's why I prefer a stick with a short throw. The CX-40 is decent, though I prefer the feel of the Flashback repro sticks. I'd like to try a Slik Stik someday.

• Like 2

I agree that the Wico is a little large. I typically choke way down almost to the metal. I still prefer the atari Dpad the joypad cx-78. I've heard the complaint that the buttons are too far apart, but I'm using it on a 2600 so "Good Games only need one red button". I must admit that joystick/joypad preference depends on the game. Overall, I spend majority of my time on a cx-40.

I have Wico's and i really don't like then that much, or see why so many like them.I'd have to say the one and only original CX-40 is the best, it's really a matter of taste though.

Agree.

While the Wicos are well-made sticks, they actually degrade player performance (albeit slightly).

The problem is throw distance. Since the stick is so big, one has to move the stick a longer distance to actuate the direction switches. This is exacerbated when one needs to "throw" the stick in one direction, then immediately in the opposite direction. Since the "throw" is physically longer than on a smaller stick, especially if you hold the stick near its top, it actually takes longer to move the stick, potentially degrading the player's game performance.

Granted, the difference is minute, perhaps not even noticeable by the player. But do you really want to take the chance that you're handicapping your own performance? I mean, just how serious a gamer are you, anyway? :D

Yes, you could hold the stick nearer its base to shorten the required throw distance, but doing so increases the effort necessary to actuate those monster arcade-quality leaf switches, due to decreased leverage. :(

Anyway, that's why I prefer a stick with a short throw. The CX-40 is decent, though I prefer the feel of the Flashback repro sticks. I'd like to try a Slik Stik someday.

You can adjust the throw by a simple adjustment of the leaf switches. It is easy.

You can adjust the throw by a simple adjustment of the leaf switches. It is easy.

How's this done, exactly? Just bending/pushing the switch contacts closer to the actuator?

Yep. The stick will still have the same throw it always had, but you can adjust how far you need to move it to actually activate the switch.

I only play with Wico Commands.. Using the button on the top. Whenever I use CX10s or 40s, my hand and thumb cramp up. I can usually get a higher rate of fire with the Wico on top. It seems some games though, are easier to play with a joypad than a stick. Laser Blast and Megamania = Stick.. While say, Secret Quest and ET are more joypad friendly, IMO.

• Like 1

I recently ordered myself one of those modern, german remanufactured Competition Pro controllers at fairly great expense. I don't know what commodore fans are on about for that stick, but I don't care for it at all.

I'm a fan of the Epyx 500xj (aka Konix Speedking). It's ergonomics are questionable, but the control it delivers is incredible. I've been using it since I was a small child so it's entirely possible that the controller has altered my bone structure so it's less painful for me to hold than for the average person. I wonder if one of those sega genesis auto-fire addons would help it out? It's generally the fire button that causes the pain.

epyxjoysticklarge.jpg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

I'll throw down for the Epyx 500XJ as well, for many games.

Truthfully, there's no one stick that's perfect for all games. For most quick games, I reach for the 500XJ. But I also like the std. Atari joystick. I haven't noticed a much difference with the Flashback repros - other than the stick coming unscrewed during gaming - but maybe I'm not so picky.

For Pac-man style games, I like the Epyx 500XJ because it feels precise for those directions. However, it totally sucks for Galaga-style shoot-em-ups because my "fire" finger gets tired. For those, I like a Genesis arcade stick (with base), so I can slap the fire button. For a lot of games, a Genesis pad works well, but it sucks for Pac-man type games.

I find the Wicos - while well-built - too big, heavy, and too far-throwing - as others have mentioned.

I haven't tried the Discwasher Pointmaster in over 20 years, but I remember every one I had (a few) breaking where the stick comes out of the base. Maybe I was just too rough with things as a kid. I don't like the fire button on the end of the stick; my reaction time is slower and thumb tires in that placement.

Everyone's different, but I think one needs a variety of sticks to get the most enjoyment out of all the different types of games.

Edited by wood_jl

I'll throw down for the Epyx 500XJ as well, for many games.

Truthfully, there's no one stick that's perfect for all games. For most quick games, I reach for the 500XJ. But I also like the std. Atari joystick. I haven't noticed a much difference with the Flashback repros - other than the stick coming unscrewed during gaming - but maybe I'm not so picky.

For Pac-man style games, I like the Epyx 500XJ because it feels precise for those directions. However, it totally sucks for Galaga-style shoot-em-ups because my "fire" finger gets tired. For those, I like a Genesis arcade stick (with base), so I can slap the fire button. For a lot of games, a Genesis pad works well, but it sucks for Pac-man type games.

I find the Wicos - while well-built - too big, heavy, and too far-throwing - as others have mentioned.

I haven't tried the Discwasher Pointmaster in over 20 years, but I remember every one I had (a few) breaking where the stick comes out of the base. Maybe I was just too rough with things as a kid. I don't like the fire button on the end of the stick; my reaction time is slower and thumb tires in that placement.

Everyone's different, but I think one needs a variety of sticks to get the most enjoyment out of all the different types of games.

The difference in the Flashback repro sticks is that the fire button and directions are much easier to actuate - no more thumb fatigue on frantic shooting jags! :thumbsup:

I've never used the 500XJ, but I'm not surprised your "fire" finger gets tired. The ergonomic design is great as far as the stick fitting naturally in your hand. But constant firing action with your index finger curled around to the fire button like that? Total disaster. That's just begging for a severe case of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome if you're the type - and gamers are definitely the type - to ignore pain for extended gaming sessions.

The problem is simple: Your thumb, since it has to oppose up to four fingers to grasp things securely, is stronger than your other digits. This makes the thumb the best candidate to stand up to continuous and repeated firing action. Individually, the other fingers just can't compete.

If Epyx had just moved that fire button around to where the thumb naturally rests on the 500XJ's body, I have a feeling that it would have been the perfect stick: Easy to hold securely (no more edges of the CX-x0 body digging into your hands), nice short-throw stick, well-placed and (hopefully) easy-action, thumb-actuated fire button.

• Like 1

I was actually using my Hori Real Arcade Pro 2 on my 2600 a while back. I have it modded with a Seimitsu stick and buttons (mostly for ps2 and Saturn shmups). I manged to get it working by using one of those tototek ps2->megadrive convertors. ;) While hilarious I don't think that is all that practical (I also suspect there was quite a bit of input lag). Most of the time I use one of the Chinese reproduction CX40s that are clicky or the 7800 gamepads.

I have a Wico Command Control but I'm a bit mystified by it. I suspect I might just have a faulty/worn-out one because it is not very smooth and seems pretty imprecise.