IGNORED

Will an ADAM printer properly power a CV?

SlowCoder

I just won the following CV on eBay: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1105909737261?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=110590973726&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I took a chance on it primarily for the controllers, as I need some for my ADAM (damn it, they're not beige!), and the carts, as I have none to test my ADAM with.

However, this CV does not come with a power supply. When I get it it would be nice to know if it works. Otherwise I won't go through the all-nighter of cleaning it.

I know CV power supplies will work well enough to power the CV cart portion of the system. Is the power from the ADAM printer compatible with the CV?

I just won the following CV on eBay: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1105909737261?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=110590973726&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I took a chance on it primarily for the controllers, as I need some for my ADAM (damn it, they're not beige!), and the carts, as I have none to test my ADAM with.

However, this CV does not come with a power supply. When I get it it would be nice to know if it works. Otherwise I won't go through the all-nighter of cleaning it.

I know CV power supplies will work well enough to power the CV cart portion of the system. Is the power from the ADAM printer compatible with the CV?

When plugging the ColecoVision into the Exp. Mod. #3 ADAM Memory Console, you remove the CV Power Transformer completely (put it in storage) and the power supply in the ADAM Printer does the job for everything... or you could buy one of those nicely converted Desktop Power Supplies that ArcadeCollecting has been selling on eBay.

Im taking your answer as yes. Im just clarifying and verifying.

I have a full ADAM, not the expansion mod 3. The CV is just a CV, without the power supply. Will the printer connect directly, or will modification be required?

Edited by SlowCoder

Im taking your answer as yes. Im just clarifying and verifying.

I have a full ADAM, not the expansion mod 3. The CV is just a CV, without the power supply. Will the printer connect directly, or will modification be required?

You CAN NOT use an ADAM Printer to power a ColecoVision by itself.

The power supply in the ADAM Printer is for supplying power to the entire ADAM Computer System... either the Stand-Alone version (which you say you have) with the ColecoVision built-in or the Exp. Mod. #3 that plugs into the front expansion bay on the ColecoVision.

DO NOT attempt to power a ColecoVision by itself with a modified ADAM Printer power cord, you will damage the ColecoVision.

DO NOT attempt to power a ColecoVision by itself with a modified ADAM Printer power cord, you will damage the ColecoVision.

Does anyone know the voltage/pinout for creating a power supply for the CV? Based on pics I've seen the power brick looks like a normal brick. Would it be plausible to create one from a universal brick by wiring in the 9 pin connector?

I bought a power brick for the CV that's on its way. Not that I want to keep the CV, but I'd like to know if it works for when/if I decide to let go of it.

** Heck, who am I kidding ... I'll probably keep the CV if it works. I just can't stand to let go of things sometimes. icon_rolleyes.gif **

Anyway, I think I've heard that a CV brick will power an ADAM, but only the CV part of it. Is this correct, or are we still dealing with incompatibility?

I bought a power brick for the CV that's on its way. Not that I want to keep the CV, but I'd like to know if it works for when/if I decide to let go of it.

** Heck, who am I kidding ... I'll probably keep the CV if it works. I just can't stand to let go of things sometimes. icon_rolleyes.gif **

Anyway, I think I've heard that a CV brick will power an ADAM, but only the CV part of it. Is this correct, or are we still dealing with incompatibility?

eColeco sells a modified Stand-Alone Memory Console that only works as a ColecoVision and it includes the ColecoVision Black Power Transformer/BRICK... so it can be done. I assume he just removes the ADAM circuit board connector cable from the ColecoVision circuit board or he removes the ADAM circuit board completely.

Coder-- take a look here: http://yardsaleflipper.blogspot.com/p/colecovision-mods.html

A PC power supply just may be the answer if you find the right voltages-- and you get the righ tone, you can make it internal instead of that lousy power brick. :)

PS- I invited the author to join us here if he's not already on here. :)