IGNORED

Hello! ...... (hello!)

I think it's dead but there are a few of us from CT. I'm from Wallingford.

Allan

We're probably 20-25 minutes from each other. Nice to meet you! In fact, just a month ago I picked up an Atari 5200 from a lady outside the Sears Hardware in Wallingford (near Sonic). Unfortunately, it doesn't work (I can't get the red light to come on when I press the power button). But, that's a thread I've been meaning to start in the Atari 5200 forum for some time ...

Is there some type of CT roll-call here (maybe I should start a thread for that)? I'd love to have people to trade with or to bounce ideas off of on where to find games locally. I use craigslist, but most people posting want too much for their stuff (more than you could get on Ebay). And CT is a bit dry (compared to say doing a search on the 'Hudson Valley' craigslist), especially when it comes to Atari. I'll try to hit up tag sales when I can, but I rarely find stuff. I've heard of a flea market in Torrington, but haven't been there yet. I saw another CT thread in this forum, and they listed some flea markets there, but I'm not sure how up-to-date that is now.

I don't know, other stuff too. Like say, meeting every now and then and just playing some games (I've got two young kids so I'm still in baby jail, but eventually)!

Well maybe we can have a small Connecticut get together for some gaming. I can look at your 5200 to see what's wrong with it as well.

Allan

Pencil me in for any small get togethers! Heck, I may even host it (if it's small), but that would probably be best for the person in the most central location.

And thanks a lot for the offer, I appreciate it. When/if we get together, it would be awesome if you took a gander.

Btw, I'm a programmer too (worked at 5 different companies throughout CT).

To digress, for some reason I've never been able to have a 5200 in my possession. 15(?) years ago, I was at a consignment shop, saw an atari 5200, noticed that there was absolutely nothing to plug the ac adapter into (In the little hole, that part that accepts the adapter was missing). I showed that to the consignment shop owner, and he gave it to me for free (5200, ac adapter, 2 controllers). I've had that sitting in a box as I had no idea what to do with it, but I wasn't just going to throw out a broken 5200!

Fast forward to a month ago, and I pick this one up (according to her craigslist ad it was in "good shape", so I assumed that it meant that it worked), and I couldn't get the light on (when plugged in). So, now I have 2 5200's that I can't get to work, and 4 controllers! The controllers look to be in good shape. Maybe the combination of the two will yield a working one.

Edited by 2600 For Life

Hey nice to see some life here!

Any of the Boston Guard around?

I've actually moved into a place w/ my gf in East Arlington that wouldn't be bad for a get-together... fairly T-accessible, biggish basement.

But I fully endorse the idea of a CT get-together under the NECG banner

Edited by kisrael

How about an initial get-together at some kind of arcade/place to eat to get to know everyone? Unfortunetely the only place I can think of is the place in Milford (Smiles?). That's not to central though. Can anybody think of a place? If not we could just meet at some restaurant.(please no Macdonalds, though. Yuc!) Once we figure out a place then we can figure out a date and time.

Allan

How about an initial get-together at some kind of arcade/place to eat to get to know everyone? Unfortunetely the only place I can think of is the place in Milford (Smiles?). That's not to central though. Can anybody think of a place? If not we could just meet at some restaurant.(please no Macdonalds, though. Yuc!) Once we figure out a place then we can figure out a date and time.

Allan

My wife is a nurse, so without checking the calendar, I never know which days she is working from week to week. I'll come back to this thread tonight, after I get home and take a look.

The only thing I do know is that she's not working this Thursday and Friday night (a rarity). But that may be too soon for everyone. But, I'm up for spur-of-the-moment (with kids, I have to take opportunities when they come).

As for a place? Where are the good arcades at these days? What's funny is that I was at the Southington truck stop (off of exit 28 I-84), and I just realized they had an arcade there! I always get my gas there, and I didn't realize it until yesterday. There was a pinball machine, a pool table, and like 5 or 6 arcade machines. One of the arcade machines was "Global Arcade Classics", which has like 80 something classic games (it even had Dragon's Lair). It's like a MAME type machine (google it). It's an idea, that Truck stop has a diner and a popeye's and a pizza hut express ...

My good friend, who lives in Terryville, just opened up an ice-cream shop. In the space that they rent, there's room available, so he's putting in an arcade. Apparently, he's working with a place that leases the arcade machines. So, no money up front, and he's getting like $100K in machines (they take a percentage of the profits). That's not ready yet, but another idea for CT gamers. Although, that may be a bit out of the way for some.

Lastly, if it's going to be just 3 or 4 people or something, I don't think I'd have any problem inviting people over. I live near Waterbury. You'd have to contend with a very nosy 4 year old and an almost 2 year old, though!

I'll try to think if I can come up with other places ...

Edited by 2600 For Life

Kids aren't a problem for me. Love them. Got a six-year-old myself. But yes it's sometimes hard to do stuff around them.

This weekend is out for me but I generally have Friday nights free. I almost always work Saturday nights.

My wife meets her friends sometimes at Paneer(sp?) , the bagel place. That might be a place to get to know people. I think they close at Ten though. I'm not usually good after that time anyways since I wake up at five-ish.

We could try for next Friday, the 22nd, and see how everyone's schedule is.

Allan

Same as you guys I have a young child and my wife often works second shift on weekends so sometimes its tough to get out, but if the group is small enough I could host something too. I have a few arcade games in my basement to keep us busy. The main complication is that child #2 is scheduled to arrive any week now, so if we schedule something within the next month I may be a last minute no-show... Anyone up for making it a family event?

Re: Allan. The 22nd is no good for me, unless I host it at my house (wife is working 7pm-7am Friday to Saturday night). The 29th is good for me though.

Re: AtariRx. I have no problem with making this a family event. In fact, if my 4 year old was around, she always wants to play video games (she's excellent with the Wii since she was 3, but can't really handle the stiff atari joystick with it's hard to press and hold-down button. She'll run around Keystone Kapers until it times out though!)

I'm the opposite of you guys. Saturday nights are usually a good night for me (if my wife is working at night, it's mostly Friday or a Sunday). She used to work pretty much every Friday night (at my suggestion, I'm tired from working all week, so it's a wasted night of me falling asleep on the couch). But, we've changed some things up, and I am now getting the occasional Friday night free (for example, tonight, or the 29th).

I'm game for anything. I just think it would be a blast playing some old-school games with someone other than myself.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...