IGNORED

Magnavox Odyssey 2 Picture Problem

davegt666

I recently acquired a Magnavox Odyssey 2 on ebay. When I put in a game and push power it seems like it wants to load the game on but all all see is a black screen. I pressed one of the buttons to try and start the game to see if I could hear audio but nothing comes out. Can anyone help me diagnose this problem?

Thanks in advance.

If it seems like it's trying, clean the carts and the connector inside the Odyssey2. Dirty connectors make strange things happen. Go from there, clean them and that ought to help. If not, post again that it still needs something.

I cleaned the cartrdige slot and the games but it didn't help it still did the same thing. When I pushed the power button it's just a black screen.

Okay, check your power supply. This is the last thing you want to check before you open it up. A good power supply that can be used as a replacement is a Genesis Model 1 power supply. I have heard of black screens on consoles (seen it, too) because of a lack of power. 9vdc, tip NEGATIVE. Check that power supply you have.

The model 2 Genny ps won't work, the pin is a different size.

Also, if you do have to open it up, the main processor is socketed; if you can get it to wiggle around that might help.

Will any of this help? I'm interested in hearing your results.

Okay, check your power supply. This is the last thing you want to check before you open it up. A good power supply that can be used as a replacement is a Genesis Model 1 power supply. I have heard of black screens on consoles (seen it, too) because of a lack of power. 9vdc, tip NEGATIVE. Check that power supply you have.

The model 2 Genny ps won't work, the pin is a different size.

Also, if you do have to open it up, the main processor is socketed; if you can get it to wiggle around that might help.

Will any of this help? I'm interested in hearing your results.

I tried the Genesis, NES, and various other 9v power supplies that I had and it did the same thing. When i have time I will try to move the main processor around.

Dude, do NOT use a NES power supply, its output is AC and it can ruin your machine. ONLY use DC with the tip negative. Seriously, it can kill it real quick.

Also, if you are getting a black screen, then the power regulator is okay, else it would not come on at all. If all else fails you can get someone to burn you a new ROM chip and replace it. It's socketed, after all, and the parts are fairly inexpensive. Getting someone to do it would be the hardest part.

Dude, do NOT use a NES power supply, its output is AC and it can ruin your machine. ONLY use DC with the tip negative. Seriously, it can kill it real quick.

Also, if you are getting a black screen, then the power regulator is okay, else it would not come on at all. If all else fails you can get someone to burn you a new ROM chip and replace it. It's socketed, after all, and the parts are fairly inexpensive. Getting someone to do it would be the hardest part.

I tried everything and it just doesn't work. Same stupid black screen. I did notice that on my friends odyssey 2 the cartridges latch on really tight and are a hassle to take out. You have to use the handle and almost pry them out! On mine however the games latch on but its effortless to take out the games. Whats up with that?

P.S. His odyssey 2 works fine by the way.

Sounds like if you want to fix it, it's time to take it apart.

Comes open easily, the whole bottom comes off. I could have sworn I made a video of me with mine open, but I guess not. Try reseating the main processor, then go from there.

Check any capacitors you see if they are bulging or not, they should be cylindrical.

Also, smell for a burnt smell, that is very telling.

Sounds like if you want to fix it, it's time to take it apart.

Comes open easily, the whole bottom comes off. I could have sworn I made a video of me with mine open, but I guess not. Try reseating the main processor, then go from there.

Check any capacitors you see if they are bulging or not, they should be cylindrical.

Also, smell for a burnt smell, that is very telling.

What do you mean by reseating the main processor? Also is it the biggest one or something?

Once you get it open you will see.

See my pic here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/nathan.dkassandra4/SuperMegaTurboComputersAndClassicGaming#5496622299426635458

reseat those two chips that are next to each other, near the cart slot.

/edit Reseating is moving them slightly out and then back in again. Just to make sure the contacts are making a good connection, you wiggle them a bit.

Edited by nathanallan

Once you get it open you will see.

See my pic here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/nathan.dkassandra4/SuperMegaTurboComputersAndClassicGaming#5496622299426635458

reseat those two chips that are next to each other, near the cart slot.

/edit Reseating is moving them slightly out and then back in again. Just to make sure the contacts are making a good connection, you wiggle them a bit.

Sorry for my long delayed response haha its been a long weekend. I did what you said on both of the two two chips and as i expected......nothing. No change what so ever. I guess this Odyssey refuses to be played with haha. I don't know what else to do :(

Well, that's about as much as I know on the easier to do side of things. Not sure what else to recommend that doesn't involve replacing motherboard components.

Anybody else hav any ideas?? :?

Well at least it wasn't a complete waste of money. I got it on ebay complete-in-box with 14 games for $40 shipped. So 14 games with all their boxes and manuals for $40 isn't really bad in my opinion haha. The games are in pretty good condition too.