IGNORED

Euro Jagfest 2010 - 27th November 2010

Starcat

OK a quick demo has gone off to Lars

it is NOT indicative of current status its just showing a couple of features not seen before but some of the textures are NOT in and its very rough please don't consider it current status.

I intend to do a new youtube video in a bit which will show more of what i intended.

OK a quick demo has gone off to Lars

it is NOT indicative of current status its just showing a couple of features not seen before but some of the textures are NOT in and its very rough please don't consider it current status.

I intend to do a new youtube video in a bit which will show more of what i intended.

Cool, glad to hear that you did it. I'm very much looking forward to see it tomorrow.

Can't wait

PeterG : yeah, it's pretty easy to do, but you need the right tools. At a minimum :

- one toggle switch

- two pieces of (flexible) copper wire

- a soldering iron with leaded solder (unleaded solder will work too, but leaded is better)

- a way to saw/drill a hole in the case (at worst, you could melt the plastic with the soldering iron, but it's ugly, generates nasty fumes and damages the soldering tip)

- a screwdriver to take the Jag apart

- a printout of Matthias Domin's guide is useful, too

Edited by Zerosquare

€- Jagfest impressions:

This years Jagfest was a huge success in my view. Never before have there been so many people that early in the day and everything geared up. In some of the previous years there where to few TVs, in one year there weren't even that many Jaguars around to begin with and usually attendance was kinda shifting through the day. This time at around noon the room seemed to be really crowded with lots of stuff being shown and mainly Jaguars which I felt was really cool. I know it's Jagfest, yes, but it wasn't always like that. And then we also had a Nuon running, three Atari Sts, Lynxes, even a Co Jag prototype and so on...

But for me Jagfest is mainly about the people and I must say that aside from the usual suspects, it was again very cool to meet new nice people and even some we hadn't seen for quite a long time.

Putting faces to internet nicknames and having the chance to talk in person is a pleasure.

We also had the traditional CheckeredFlag on Lynx competion by Thorsten and Kick Off, if I am not mistaken, but I was mysteriously left out of that one after losing at Checkered Flag again (as every year) ;-)

Then as always everyone got the possibility to also buy stuff from Nick and Sandra and Simen so what more could you ask for?

Right, seeing games in development and we had quite a few chances to do so and got three presentations.

Matthias Domin started the presentations by demonstrating Clicks and Impulse X. Clicks is on hold unfortunatly still due some problems, although quite finished from a gamers point of view. Matthias stated that Impulse X is not very far away from being finished (weeks...maybe months:-)). I would take them as is since they both look great but there are still details Matthias would like to finish first. Be sure to get Impulse x when it is finally out. It is very cool and playable with a wide array of controllers, expandable via level CD's (it has 40 already on its own) and it also has a level editor which saves to the memory track. Once released there will be lots of fun to be had with this game.

There were also plans being made for a cart version of Double Feature but I don't know when this is going to happen. Aside from the two games Matthias also had Mini Doom, his gun mod and his flashcart prototype on display and provided some good conversation on top of that. :-)

Next presentation came from Fadest who presentet Ladybug and Another world. I also saw another game on display but I forgot the name (black hole???) Ladybug was very nice looking with some colorful graphics, but I can't say that much of the gameplay since I played it only briefly. Anyway from a visual point of view I thought it looked very polished. Fans of the original game should like this version very much. Now onto Another World which I played for quite some time and it was a pleasure to see it running on the Jag, the game had still some bugs (gun wouldn't shoot or I did something wrong) but it looked great with the updated backgrounds from the PC version. Here and there it still felt a bit rough around the edges in some instances concerning the gameplay (jumping over pits while running and then falling down, being a bit frustrating) but I did not have the original for comparasion so it might be very well be exactly like that in the original game.

Then Lars had his presentation and showed us his first demo of the renewed Eerivale project.

This one departed pretty much from everything we have seen before, although Lars said that it would still be a bit darker in tone than what was shown on Jagfest. The first person perspective and the rendered graphics from the demos before that are gone. The demo was limited on one room, but what we got to see is something that resembles the Lucasfilm adventures as you have 3rd person perspective on your charakter and can guide him around, while choosing different icons for Interaction with the enviroment. It was a pretty early demo, so from a gameplay aspect too early to really say something about it but it has an interesting concept with crossing storylines between game and Lars' novel, so let's see where this is heading.

Also on display was Atari Owls Project, which was limited on the inside of the bulding this time but had some interesting new aspects. The main charakter was more detailed and didn't seem to float in the middle of the screen like in the last demo, so you had a pretty good feel of moving around with it and could also rotate around it.There still was no collision detection. Needless to say that the games graphics still look great and those textures are some of the nicest we have seen so far on a Jaguar game. Theres one more title to look forward to.

Then there was Kevin who had some of the Reboot titles on display on some nifty little screen which he let us try but did not hold an official presentation. What we got to see aside from the already released Reboot releases was a version of Asteroids with really nice looks of laser bolts and explosion which is going to be included in a cartridge version of superfly. I really suck at Asteroids so I'll just say that it looks good :-) There was Neos Doom II mod which turned some heads and was enjoyed by quite a few people. It was great to be able to play it oneself as opposed to just see youtube videos. So cool stuff right there. And then the long awaited chance to try the cleaned up version of Soulstar. Unfortunatly we had some problems with getting past a certain point where the game would crash but after trying a few times and letting the cutscenes run, the game would let us pass and I had a chance to try the game how it was intended to be played. Well not quite since I was invincible but to tell you the truth I wouldn't have made it far without that because even on the now playable easy mode it seems not be easy at all ;-) Had a great time with Richard and Kevin while playing this game so this was another great experience.

Gaztee brought his new boxes and overlays which looked great and also found some happy customers.

I hope I did not forget anything which I probably did but I had a fantastic day and enjoyed it very very much.

Finally thanks to Björn and Lars for the organization, already looking forward to next year.

• Like 1

You forgot our successful network attempt! Next year we will expand it! Great to see you guys again. And of course all the new projects and releases in the future!

The Lynx Checkered Flag competition network is every year successful :D

This time there were even cups and medals for the winners. I even won a medal. (Don't tell the first 15 or so got a medal :D, the first three a cup).

But I suppose you mean a BattleSphere and Aircars network. Too bad I had to leave at 18:00 so we missed that. Next year, start the network earlier :P

It was great to see you guys again. And thanks to all people involved to make it again a great event.

Robert

Cool show! Can I get some details on the mods to this 130XE? I see it has Candle's simple stereo and a VBXE.

Great pics!

I brought that "Frankensteinish" 130XE. It has the following extensions:

• Candle's VBXE board (in the middle, half under the keyboard). In the top left is the VBXE's RGB output. Wired the same as the Jaguar's ScatBox so I can use the same monitor cable as with my Jaguar).
    The VBXE provided crisp RGB output + additional graphics modes.
  • Candle's Simple Stereo Board + Covox (Invisible, under the keyboard)
    The switches on the top are to disable stereo and select the covox address.
    It provides a dual Pokey sound chip in stereo and Covox is a stereo DA converter to play sampled sounds (mod trackers)
  • Candle's IO board (upper left)
    IO board contains stereo output, SIO2PC-USB (FT-232) and AKI keyboard interface for connecting a PC keyboard (the purple plug).
    With SIO2PC you can connect a PC to the Atari so the PC acts like a disk drive for the Atari.
    Unfortunately, my laptop didn't have the FT-232 USB drivers and no internet to download them, so I couldn't show the SIO2PC-USB interface and thus could not load the VBXE and convox/stereo demos via SIO2PC :(
  • Internal MyIDE from Mr. Atari (the green PCB with ribbon cables).
    With MyIDE you can connect IDE drives to the Atari which can contain up to 8 16MB partitions and thousands of disk images. This is one of the first versions Mr. Atari made. Connected to it is a CF2IDE adapter with a 256MB CF card. But I used it with a 4GB CF card too. And using a SD2IDE adapter I used a 8GB micro SD card with it :P )
  • A 32-in-1 OS from Steven Tucker (invisible, under the keyboard), contains MyIDE OS and several others.
  • Turbo Freezer XE (2005 version) from Hias (the green PCB in the cart slot).
    With the freezer you can stop a running program, save the current state to disk, disassemble and change memory, and load stored program states and continue running them.
  • Above the computer is a 8Mbit (1Mbyte) Flash cartridge from Steve Tucker.
  • 256KB extended memory (320KB total).

Robert

Edited by rdemming

But I suppose you mean a BattleSphere and Aircars network. Too bad I had to leave at 18:00 so we missed that. Next year, start the network earlier :P

FACK! u0679 and me also had to leave about 19:00h. We decided that next year we'll start the network as soon as we arrive and will also accept additional players as soon as they come (oh, btw, I was the guy wearing that werewolf hoodie and the t-shirt of a Dutch band, depending on how warm or cold I was at that moment.

Thorsten

Now onto Another World which I played for quite some time and it was a pleasure to see it running on the Jag, the game had still some bugs (gun wouldn't shoot or I did something wrong) but it looked great with the updated backgrounds from the PC version. Here and there it still felt a bit rough around the edges in some instances concerning the gameplay (jumping over pits while running and then falling down, being a bit frustrating) but I did not have the original for comparasion so it might be very well be exactly like that in the original game.

Hi,

pleased you liked the game.

Regarding the "gun bug", could you be more precise?

If it happened in the second level (the jail), then it is not a bug, but a feature :D

Indeed, it is the only level where the ammos are limited

(so that the only way to pass the guard behind the triple door is that you kill the guard in the room below and then hijack the signal that commands the triple door)

Regarding the playability, it should be exactly the same as the original version.

I hope Fadest showed you the last version I sent to him where I indeed fixed a small bug in the control system.

Cheers,

Seb

I hope Fadest showed you the last version I sent to him where I indeed fixed a small bug in the control system.

Yes, it was the version you sent me last week.

I hav not been able to answer this question : how far is it complete ?

and also the bonus question : when is it supposed to be released :D ?

Just wanted to say thanks to all involved- was a great show! Really reminded me of the first couple of UK Jagfests, really busy & buzzing all day! Personal highlight had to be FINALLY winning the Lynx Checkered Flag tournament after coming 2nd on 3 previous occasions! :D

Have to Bribe Fadest next time we meet up, as the drunken revelations on saturday night should NEVER leave the bar at JVW ;)

Now onto Another World which I played for quite some time and it was a pleasure to see it running on the Jag, the game had still some bugs (gun wouldn't shoot or I did something wrong) but it looked great with the updated backgrounds from the PC version. Here and there it still felt a bit rough around the edges in some instances concerning the gameplay (jumping over pits while running and then falling down, being a bit frustrating) but I did not have the original for comparasion so it might be very well be exactly like that in the original game.

Hi,

pleased you liked the game.

Regarding the "gun bug", could you be more precise?

If it happened in the second level (the jail), then it is not a bug, but a feature :D

Indeed, it is the only level where the ammos are limited

(so that the only way to pass the guard behind the triple door is that you kill the guard in the room below and then hijack the signal that commands the triple door)

Regarding the playability, it should be exactly the same as the original version.

Cheers,

Seb

Hi Seb.

Alright then I guess it is no bug since I passed that particular scene the way you described it but thought that I had chickened out and made it to that hatch the alien opens only by luck. Fadest wasn't sure about the gun part so I assumed it was a bug since the shooting animation is there but it won't shoot...

I have two more questions if you don't mind. Was the version we have seen on Jagfest a straight port of the remade PC version or did you combine elements of the old game with stuff from the remade one? It was obvious that the backgrounds looked much better than on my St version from back in the day, but then I wasn't so sure about some of the cutscenes and the charakters.

Please consider that I only judge from old memories so I can be very much mistaken about what I have in mind about the looks.

Was this version of the underground cave with the watertank shorter? I remember some tentacles hanging from the ceiling etc...haven't seen them there but then I always died while running away from the water so I might not have advanced far enough.

Any way with all this said I had great fun playing this version on the Jag and I think it is cool we will have not only Flashback but also Another World.

I spent quite some time with this game and enjoyed it very much even though I seem to suck at it and died quiet a lot;-) Fadest had to help me out on the rolling part, didn't remember that at all ;-)

Well then, when do you think we are going to be able to play it on our own machines? :-)

Hi,

Alright then I guess it is no bug since I passed that particular scene the way you described it but thought that I had chickened out and made it to that hatch the alien opens only by luck. Fadest wasn't sure about the gun part so I assumed it was a bug since the shooting animation is there but it won't shoot...

Great.

I have two more questions if you don't mind. Was the version we have seen on Jagfest a straight port of the remade PC version or did you combine elements of the old game with stuff from the remade one? It was obvious that the backgrounds looked much better than on my St version from back in the day, but then I wasn't so sure about some of the cutscenes and the charakters.

Please consider that I only judge from old memories so I can be very much mistaken about what I have in mind about the looks.

Technically, Another World consists of a custom Virtual Machine and data files.

The data files includes the graphics, the sounds, but also the game itself (which is written in a custom scripting language).

The VM interprets the scripts.

The version you have played uses data files of the remade PC version.

The VM has been rewritten from scratch by me. Fortunately, I had some clues on how to do that, since Eric Chahi provided me some source files.

It was really fun for a programmer to do this job.

Especially, I had fun to experiment several implementations of the VM.

I have now three implementations of it: one purely in C, one purely in Assembly (68k), and another one written in Assembly (68k) that does Just-in-Time compilation.

(of course, in the three cases, all the graphical & sound job is done with the dedicated hardware of the Jaguar (GPU & DSP))

The version you played uses my favorite engine: the one that does some JIT compilation.

Was this version of the underground cave with the watertank shorter? I remember some tentacles hanging from the ceiling etc...haven't seen them there but then I always died while running away from the water so I might not have advanced far enough.

I think it is the long version.

Any way with all this said I had great fun playing this version on the Jag and I think it is cool we will have not only Flashback but also Another World.

I spent quite some time with this game and enjoyed it very much even though I seem to suck at it and died quiet a lot;-) Fadest had to help me out on the rolling part, didn't remember that at all ;-)

Well then, when do you think we are going to be able to play it on our own machines? :-)

Well, I can't really say more here.

Technically, I would like to improve the sound engine before saying "it's finished". But I fear I won't have time to do that, so maybe it will just stay on my wish-list.

Then, I have to discuss with Eric Chahi on how he sees the way we could release the game.

I am in favor of doing a cartridge release so that most of the Jag owners could play it.

(the cheap cartridge design on which Zerosquare has worked is interesting for that)

Hope this answers your questions,

Cheers,

Seb

Edited by SebRmv

Hi,

Great.

The data files includes the graphics, the sounds, but also the game itself (which is written in a custom scripting language).

The VM has been rewritten from scratch by me. Fortunately, I had some clues on how to do that, since Eric Chahi provided me some source files.

I have now three implementations of it: one purely in C, one purely in Assembly (68k), and another one written in Assembly (68k) that does Just-in-Time compilation.

(of course, in the three cases, all the graphical & sound job is done with the dedicated hardware of the Jaguar (GPU & DSP))

The version you played uses my favorite engine: the one that does some JIT compilation.

I think it is the long version.

Well, I can't really say more here.

Technically, I would like to improve the sound engine before saying "it's finished". But I fear I won't have time to do that, so maybe it will just stay on my wish-list.

Then, I have to discuss with Eric Chahi on how he sees the way we could release the game.

I am in favor of doing a cartridge release so that most of the Jag owners could play it.

(the cheap cartridge design on which Zerosquare has worked is interesting for that)

Hope this answers your questions,

Cheers,

Seb

Yes thanks very much for the detailed answers. Very interesting and again I'm looking forward to the release.

You should have tell me this before the show, I would have say less false assumptions :D

This year the ejagfest was again a great success, thank you all for attending and I hope to see you again next year. :)

@Gaztee: Congratz for finaly winning the Checkered Flag Cup! Sadly I totally missed the Jag-Arcade board ... just discovered it on the pictures. Too bad ... hope you can bring it around next time, again. ^^

@Peter: Thanks for the nice report. :)

Here are some of my pictures: http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/230112/1/ejagfest%202010?h=8216e1