IGNORED

Ultra pong doubles tech help

Hitachi

Hey everybody. I just got an ultra pong doubles in the mail today, and I'm having two issues. One of which doesn't really bother me but the other... well read on

First problem, the power switch is really finnicky. I can get it to turn on with out TOO much trouble so i don't really care to fix it.

Second problem, and this is where i'd like your help.

when i plug a paddle into the right side A jack. it doesn't "click" in like the rest of them do. Also, when it's on, the right A paddle doesn't display. I tried hooking up all four and it won't change to four player unless i wiggle around the right A paddle. and when it goes to four player, the right A paddle still doesn't display. It does this no matter which of the four paddles is plugged in. Is there a way to fix this?

Also, what type of power supply should i use?

I have a variable voltage universal supply that i use with my super pong, and i saw that they both use the same batteries, would that work?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Adam

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everybody. I just got an ultra pong doubles in the mail today, and I'm having two issues. One of which doesn't really bother me but the other... well read on

First problem, the power switch is really finnicky. I can get it to turn on with out TOO much trouble so i don't really care to fix it.

Second problem, and this is where i'd like your help.

when i plug a paddle into the right side A jack. it doesn't "click" in like the rest of them do. Also, when it's on, the right A paddle doesn't display. I tried hooking up all four and it won't change to four player unless i wiggle around the right A paddle. and when it goes to four player, the right A paddle still doesn't display. It does this no matter which of the four paddles is plugged in. Is there a way to fix this?

Also, what type of power supply should i use?

I have a variable voltage universal supply that i use with my super pong, and i saw that they both use the same batteries, would that work?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Adam

You need a new socket just goto radio shack and get a replacement socket

also check out this

http://www.pong-story.com/gi.htm

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

the paddles on my "Sears Tele Pong IV" have a 3/32" ( or 2.5 mm) plug on them smaller than the battery eliminator jack which is 1/8" or 3.5mm

I wonder if dirty pots inside them paddles would keep the circuit open when plugged in as to not know to enable the 4-player modes :ponder:

could also be a wire lifted off of a terminal someplace I suppose too ,

• 3 weeks later...

It has to be the jack itself. It feels different when you plug in that specific controller (in any of the 4 sockets) although the jack looks the same from a quick glance. How hard is it to buy a 2.5mm jack from radio shack and replace it on that paddle?

Thanks,

Will

I would think if you opened it up & looked at it ... a little bendy-here & a lil' bendy there on the tabs will get you back in good shape

would only be two wires on the thing

my pong unit was difficult to open ... so I made a screw driver

after opening , the "Sears Tele-games Super Pong IV" the 3'rd & 4'th player controller jack prongs are exposed to where wires solder to them ...

( I JUST discovered my camera is either broken or battery is dry @ this post) or I'd just snap a pic :_(

EDIT: well my camera is acting weird but was able to snap a couple pics ... :_(

DVhUhfM.jpg

WM91icl.jpg

if you could snap a pic of yours it may be helpful as well ;)

Edited by chas10e

The jacks for the ultra pong doubles that I have, are not like that. They are black plastic, not really fiddle-able.

It should be simple enough to acquire a new jack, and solder it to the board. It might be difficult to find one that fits exactly like the other jacks, so you may want to get the style that mounts to the case, and solder wires between it, and the spot on the board where the other jack was.

I must be using the wrong terminology. The part that is not working, on my ultra pong doubles, is the part that plugs into the hole. All other paddle controllers work fine in any of the holes. How can I fix the part that plugs into the hole?

Thanks for your patience,

Will

I must be using the wrong terminology. The part that is not working, on my ultra pong doubles, is the part that plugs into the hole. All other paddle controllers work fine in any of the holes. How can I fix the part that plugs into the hole?

Thanks for your patience,

Will

oh ok, is it the "male" end on the paddle controller ? the item in my hand in above pic ?

radioshack has those as well, most likely cut old one off & re-solder new one on

If the connector simply doesn't work and bending the contacts doesn't help, look for panel mount jack (make sure it's female, it has hole not pin), looks like a standard 3.5mm 2 contacts. If you can't find 2 contacts, 3 contact should work fine, just don't wire the middle contact.

Yep, it's the male end (the part you are holding). What size of plug is that? Is it 3.5 mm like ol' 7800fan suggested?

Thanks everyone,

Will

I believe it actually 2.5mm ... smaller than the battery eliminator plug , be best to have the sample with you when @ the store ;)

• 3 years later...