IGNORED

Droid800: Android phones A8 emulator

Philsan

I'm looking at the Galaxy S on AT&T

I have a Galaxy S. It's amazing. I'm currently running UAE4Droid (Amiga Emulator) on it. It runs at full speed (A500)

Two problems though, Samsung's PC suite is very buggy. I had to install it about 5 times to get it on my XP SP3 machine. Even now the Software doesn't connect to the phone. However I can use the copy to mass storage method so no great shakes and obviously it syncs with Google anyway.

The other problem is the battery life is rubbish but there is meant to be a 2.2 update for the Galaxy in the next week or so this apparently should fix this issue.

Aaron

I'm looking at the Galaxy S on AT&T

I have a Galaxy S. It's amazing. I'm currently running UAE4Droid (Amiga Emulator) on it. It runs at full speed (A500)

Two problems though, Samsung's PC suite is very buggy. I had to install it about 5 times to get it on my XP SP3 machine. Even now the Software doesn't connect to the phone. However I can use the copy to mass storage method so no great shakes and obviously it syncs with Google anyway.

The other problem is the battery life is rubbish but there is meant to be a 2.2 update for the Galaxy in the next week or so this apparently should fix this issue.

Aaron

Good to know, thanks

Droid800, the A8 emulator for Android phones, has just been released:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/droid800%3A-atari-8-bit-emulator/com.droid800

Unfortunately no keyboard emulation ("No full key support - intended for games, not general purpose computing").

Hi. I am the "author" of Droid800 and Droid2600. They are straight ports of the Atari800/Stella emulators wrapped with some Android specific UI code to work around input limitations inherent in the platform. I'm considering a few alternatives for keyboard support but haven't decided on anything yet. The Android inputs (on screen dpad, accelerometer joystick, etc) are currently all implemented in Java which are layered over the SDL surface. Both Stella and Atari800 have mature built-in menu systems that could probably be made touch-screen aware with a bit of work - my first release of Droid2600 used that approach but the non-native controls were not well received by end users.

Working on getting the source cleaned up and uploaded to http://code.google.com/p/droid2600 if anyone is interested in looking under the hood.

Unfortunately no keyboard emulation ("No full key support - intended for games, not general purpose computing").

Hi. I am the "author" of Droid800 and Droid2600. They are straight ports of the Atari800/Stella emulators wrapped with some Android specific UI code to work around input limitations inherent in the platform. I'm considering a few alternatives for keyboard support but haven't decided on anything yet. The Android inputs (on screen dpad, accelerometer joystick, etc) are currently all implemented in Java which are layered over the SDL surface. Both Stella and Atari800 have mature built-in menu systems that could probably be made touch-screen aware with a bit of work - my first release of Droid2600 used that approach but the non-native controls were not well received by end users.

Working on getting the source cleaned up and uploaded to http://code.google.com/p/droid2600 if anyone is interested in looking under the hood.

Just a reminder (as you've already mentioned it) to release the source as soon as you get a chance. We have one person already that created a Stella-derived Android application, and hasn't released the source (yet).

Just a reminder (as you've already mentioned it) to release the source as soon as you get a chance. We have one person already that created a Stella-derived Android application, and hasn't released the source (yet).

http://code.google.com/p/droid2600/downloads/list. There aren't many changes to the Stella code other than to initialize SDL and make things compile correctly (Android NDK doesn't support C++ exceptions, for example).

Edited by Diggerbonk

Good job, Diggerbonk. I also have written a working port of atari800. You beat me to it.

Perhaps we can work together, if you're willing to take contributions. I put a lot of effort into performance which yours might benefit from on older devices. (I used a G1 for testing) I also have several ideas I was working on beyond emulation.

I'd like to email you my sources after I do some cleanup. What do you think about collaborating?

Good job, Diggerbonk. I also have written a working port of atari800. You beat me to it.

Perhaps we can work together, if you're willing to take contributions. I put a lot of effort into performance which yours might benefit from on older devices. (I used a G1 for testing) I also have several ideas I was working on beyond emulation.

I'd like to email you my sources after I do some cleanup. What do you think about collaborating?

Absolutely! I've made no significant modifications to the Atari800 sources so merging in changes should be pretty painless. Shoot me an email and we can figure out the best way to proceed.

Trent.

Absolutely! I've made no significant modifications to the Atari800 sources so merging in changes should be pretty painless. Shoot me an email and we can figure out the best way to proceed.

Trent.

Great!

I'd like to (publicly) let you know the differences between our two codebases. I'll email you the more technical stuff.

Mine has these problems due to being incomplete:

• Only works with phones with a physical keyboard. No touch or accelerometer support
  • Key mappings can't be changed and there's no documentation on built-in mappings.
  • Takes 5 seconds to startup (due to pokey init)
  • Back button doesn't close app.
  • Sometimes crashes on first start, but fine after that.

Features it has over current Droid800

• Supports the built-in atari800 menus
  • It is much faster (100% on G1 with refresh-rate=2) and probably uses less battery

The big code difference is I didn't use SDL. I tried to use the same SDL library you did, but I found it too unstable. I didn't modify any atari800 sources (except log.h).

Features I wanted to eventually add:

• Intents to auto-run emulator when loading Atari file types .ATR, .XEX, .ROM, etc.
  • Intent for .zip files (in case one doesn't have a zip browser)
  • Include a small collection of good free games
  • Include links to known websites that supply ROMs
  • Support emuos by default, so an OS ROM isn't a requirement
  • Native Android support of the atari800's menus (C callbacks to Java)

Hello,

I have a question about Droid800. I tried to play Atari games on Samsung galaxy S but i cannot open any game. I tried several ROMs and games. Usually screen goes gray or black and sometimes I can hear sounds of the game. Is this an issue with my Samsung phone or maybe I am using wrong ROM (they are working fine with my PC emulators)? Any ideas? Can somebody give me a link to ROM that works with Droid800?

thanks in advance and excuse me my bad english ;)

Fluke

Hello,

I have a question about Droid800. I tried to play Atari games on Samsung galaxy S but i cannot open any game. I tried several ROMs and games. Usually screen goes gray or black and sometimes I can hear sounds of the game. Is this an issue with my Samsung phone or maybe I am using wrong ROM (they are working fine with my PC emulators)? Any ideas? Can somebody give me a link to ROM that works with Droid800?

thanks in advance and excuse me my bad english ;)

Fluke

I've experienced the same problems with my Galaxy S. When I turn sound off, it works fine.

I've experienced the same problems with my Galaxy S. When I turn sound off, it works fine.

Thanks! I is working now :-) Too bad that sound is at least 40% of fun factor in atari games...

To Diggerbonk: Please try to fix sound problem with Droid800 and Samsung galaxyS. I can test updates if you need somebody with galaxy s.

I will gladly pay few bucks at android market for good and fully working version of Droid800.

regards

fluke