IGNORED

My 5200 "paddle"

zylon

Since there's been some interest in paddles for the 5200. I thought I'd share my solution. It's cheap and causes no permanent damage to the controller. I made this one using a stock cx52, the pot and knob from a Sears Arcade II controller and a paper towel. This set up avoids the "cruise control" effect on Super Breakout.

post-25215-128694063788_thumb.jpg

post-25215-128694067638_thumb.jpg

post-25215-12869407159_thumb.jpg

post-25215-128694074187_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Genius!

Thanks for posting those detailed pics.

This set up avoids the "cruise control" effect on Super Breakout.

Can you tell me a little more about this?

In using another adaptor that used stock 2600 paddles, the object you control on screen keeps moving instead of stopping like it does with paddles on the 2600. For instance, you move just a little to the right but instead of stopping, the cursor keeps going right. You would have to move a little to the left to stop moving right. This effect doesn't show up on Kaboom but does on Super breakout. It has to do with auto centering or lack thereof.

With the setup I'm using, both Kaboom and super breakout play exactly as intended.

Edited by zylon
  • Like 1

In using another adaptor that used stock 2600 paddles, the object you control on screen keeps moving instead of stopping like it does with paddles on the 2600. For instance, you move just a little to the right but instead of stopping, the cursor keeps going right. You would have to move a little to the left to stop moving right. This effect doesn't show up on Kaboom but does on Super breakout. It has to do with auto centering or lack thereof.

With the setup I'm using, both Kaboom and super breakout play exactly as intended.

I'm really glad you told me this. I was just about to try and create my own paddle controller. Great timing on this thread. :thumbsup:

Genius!

ahh i think the adapter is using pin 12 for the pot common instead of pin 9

when you use pin 12 for the common the system thinks its using a trackball which is handy cause then you can use the keypad in pole position for shifting

I'm interested in making something like this, but I'm not quite following what you're doing just based on the photos. Is that a POT out of a 2600 controller?

You can use one of those if you want. The one I'm using is from a Sears Video Arcade II controller. They can be bought cheaply brand new still. You can either glue it to the center pivot hole in the CX52 or you can just stuff bits of paper towel around it after assembly to hold it in position. Another method would involve using a washer on top and a nut to hold a paddle pot in position. Making one of these only takes about 15 minutes.

I just removed both 5200 pots and all the stick parts and used the two wires for the lower pot on the paddle one. Black on center and grey/brown on the side post. The other ones are just tucked out of the way.

Edited by zylon
  • Like 1

I'm interested in making something like this, but I'm not quite following what you're doing just based on the photos. Is that a POT out of a 2600 controller?

You can use one of those if you want. The one I'm using is from a Sears Video Arcade II controller. They can be bought cheaply brand new still. You can either glue it to the center pivot hole in the CX52 or you can just stuff bits of paper towel around it after assembly to hold it in position. Another method would involve using a washer on top and a nut to hold a paddle pot in position. Making one of these only takes about 15 minutes.

I just removed both 5200 pots and all the stick parts and used the two wires for the lower pot on the paddle one. Black on center and grey/brown on the side post. The other ones are just tucked out of the way.

Ah, okay! Thanks!

Just use the left and right pot from the 5200 controller. You just need to center it in the middle of the controller. I think the 2600 paddle controller knob looks the best. There are a couple of instructions on this forum to make a 5200 paddle controller out of the 5200 controller. It's pretty easy. I've done a bunch of them in the past.

Allan

Genius!

when you use pin 12 for the common the system thinks its using a trackball which is handy cause then you can use the keypad in pole position for shifting

Yeah, Pole Position and Kaboom work fine with A2600 Paddle. Kaboom doesn't autodetect the controller type since it only supports one controller so that works great right off the bat. Pole Position detects the controller type when you start the machine so depending on Paddle position, it will think it's trackball or paddle-- so both options are available using pin 12.

You can still make it stop from "cruising" in Super Breakout by turning the knob from right to center when you press the START. You'll hear that sound for a couple of seconds and at that time it's autodetecting the controller type so just turn the knob from right to center and it will treat as a Paddle instead of trackball.

Genius!

Yeah, Pole Position and Kaboom work fine with A2600 Paddle. Kaboom doesn't autodetect the controller type since it only supports one controller so that works great right off the bat. Pole Position detects the controller type when you start the machine so depending on Paddle position, it will think it's trackball or paddle-- so both options are available using pin 12.

You can still make it stop from "cruising" in Super Breakout by turning the knob from right to center when you press the START. You'll hear that sound for a couple of seconds and at that time it's autodetecting the controller type so just turn the knob from right to center and it will treat as a Paddle instead of trackball.

How in the world do you play Pole Position with a trackball? :?

Genius!

How in the world do you play Pole Position with a trackball? :?

It's auto-detecting for all the games that support trackball-- galaxian, space invaders, pole position, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool. I'm trying to build this myself as I had an old sears video arcade II controller lying around but I can't figure out how to remove the stick from the top part of the 5200 controller. I have taken the top part off, but how do you remove the rubber boot and the stick itself?

Typically, I hold the metal shaft with needlenose pliers and either twist or pry off the knob. For really stubborn ones, prying the knob upwards with a screwdriver against the pliers helps. With the knob off, all the slide plates just fall out of the controller top. The boot retaining ring can be removed from the underside with a small screwdriver through the 4 access slots. Just push in and turn to release the catches.

ya know i was thinking about the self centering problem and thought of a crazy idea

what if you just took one of those springs from the bottom of a D cell flashlight you know the ones that are like a cone shaped coil

and put that in theplace of the rubber boot along with a little washer on top to prevent the spring from binding in the handle

jsut throwin it out there if anybody wants to give it a shot

• 5 months later...

Actually a vidoe would be nice to help visualize instead of just photos.

Don't have the technology to do so. All you need is to open controller. Remove joystick assembly from the top half. Remove the original controller pots. remove or tape up the wires that lead to the upper pot. Install the wires from the lower pot on the replacement pot of your choice. Ex: 2600 paddle pot, Sears Video Arcade II controller pots, Radio Shack pot

Insert either padding, use glue, nut and washer to hold pot in position. Install rubber boot and ring with center of boot cut out to clear pot shaft. Install knob of choice. I personally, just use a crumpled up paper towel for positioning.

5661132804_0d779afbbb.jpg

Atari 5200 Paddle by Dr Manhattan, on Flickr

I just wanted to say that I made one of these paddles for myself. I was really surprised at how easy it was. The only thing is the POT on my 5200 paddle only had two posts and not three like the one pictured above. So I messed around a little bit and found a spot where I could sodder the second connection. I glued everything together and paddle works perfectly. It really makes playing Kaboom a lot of fun. Thanks Zylon!

In the spirit of things, here is one a made many years ago. I even sold a few of these on ebay.

Very easy to do yourself and I highly recommend using a washer and nut to secure the pot to the top 1/2 on the controller shell. Keep the rubber boot in place, place the knob on and it look professional. :)

on5200paddle.th.jpg

Edited by Official Ninja